The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2019, 02:54 PM

Default In-ear monitors

There's an unusual twist hear, though, in my question about being able to hear my instrument while playing live. I play in an all-acoustic (no one is plugged in or amplified) guitar ensemble, and I really want to be able to hear myself play... not being able to at all is very discouraging. Do any of you folks know of (or can you dream up) a way to mic my acoustic guitar and run a line/audio to a pair of headphones or (preferably) earbuds so that I can hear my own playing... sort of like in-ear monitors, but without running the pickup through any electronics or an amp or any other device first? Just straight from guitar to ear. How about an adhesive piezo contact microphone transducer or something like that? Thanks for your help with this.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:29 PM

I am not sure that I fully understand all of your parameters, but couldn't you just have like a JJB 330 installed and then run it into one of those little headphone amplifiers like the ones vox makes for bass and electric guitar. It certainly wouldn't be an authentic sound, but it would go right out of the output jack and into your headphones. Are you looking for a really authentic sound?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:03 PM

Use a mic, or a soundhole pickup and this

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Behring...gaAiiXEALw_wcB
Old 09-18-2019, 02:10 PM

You could plug into a headphone amp as YamahaGuy suggests, or into a IEM-specific unit like this inexpensive wired device: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...itor-amplifier

The problem you'll have, though, is that all you will hear is your guitar, and nothing else. Since you're not getting a signal containing the other instruments (and any vocals), you won't be able to hear them, likely making it impossible to engage in ensemble playing.

This is not the solution you asked for, but you probably should just get a guitar which is inherently louder when unplugged, like a Rainsong JM-1000.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
The problem you'll have, though, is that all you will hear is your guitar, and nothing else. Since you're not getting a signal containing the other instruments (and any vocals), you won't be able to hear them, likely making it impossible to engage in ensemble playing.
my thoughts exactly. Not sure how you solve that without a louder guitar, or everyone amped up and volumes judiciously controlled.

When I practice with my duo partner, we're into my sound board, and using headphones. we get real close to what is a studio worthy mix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification