The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2019, 09:20 AM

The Platinum Pro is one I am considering precisely because of its 10 MOhm input, fx loop and compressor. Generally it gets positive reviews but it is not without critics. It is right at the top of my budget so anything more expensive is not an option.

I like Boss pedals and was also considering giving the AD2 a try (also 10 MOhm) but the lack of a loop is a definite downside.

In either case and for both guitars I would experiment with the 1 MOhm Boss TU3 in front to see what difference it makes.

The final option might be to swap out the UST in the Yamaha for another pure mini and see if I can be satisfied without needing any dedicated preamp at all, plugging straight into the TU3 and taking it from there. I already own EQ and compressor pedals for tone shaping once the impedance issue has been handled by the TU3.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesWalker View Post
The Platinum Pro is one I am considering precisely because of its 10 MOhm input, fx loop and compressor. Generally it gets positive reviews but it is not without critics. It is right at the top of my budget so anything more expensive is not an option.
Hi DW

No preamp is without critics (and fans). Price is a factor for all of us, but if you have deep pockets, it's hard to beat the Grace Felix.

I still prefer my Raven PMB I/II and DTAR Solstice preamps for my dual source rigs with K&K Pure mini and mic. They are mid-range prices ($300-400). I've tried others but have found none better than this for the price. If I were buying a new preamp for pro use, and price were no object, it would be the Grace Felix.

If I were starting again from scratch, I'd move straight to a ToneDexter with the K&K Pure Mini for ease of setup and use and decent live sound. Single box, multiple samples, and easy to setup and use.

I've run sound for people using K&K and under saddle piezos through most of the modern preamps available and gotten great sound from all of them. I'd keep my dual source rigs installed as backup in case the ToneDexter had issues during a gig.

We are really only tweaking the sound for ourselves, because audiences really don't care as much as we do. If it sounds like a guitar, they are good to go. They want to hear music not gear.

As for modern preamps, I like the Aura better than the ParaDI (I own ParaDIs) because they are the upgrade of the outdated ParaDI with labels in understandable English, and modern electronics, and the XLR comes straight out instead of sticking up in the air waiting to be tripped over.

I like the Fishman for similar reasons, and both have great clean performance, tons of features, adjustable boost, and both have lame built in tuners.

I like the Grace Felix, because there's very little it cannot do when it comes to adjusting multi-sources and great input/output adjustability and options.

All three do a great job for single source pickups, and the Grace for dual-source rigs (they make a single source pre as well). All three serve as a preamp with Direct Box out features.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification