The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-15-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Teaching professionals I need some help.

Ok I've been playing and gigging for all of my adult life and in the last year I've noticed an issue I just can't seem to correct on my own. I'm obviously pressing down too hard when playing chords because going into my third hour on a gig my fretting hand fingers are throbbing and I've worn grooves into my callouses. I've been working to remain constantly cognoscent of the amount of pressure I'm applying to the strings but I think I'm still gripping way too tightly and gigging is getting painful. Anybody got any tips they can share? Other than "lighten up" because I'm trying that and it isn't helping.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-15-2019, 04:15 PM

The first thing I would do is make certain the guitar is set up to play as lightly as possible. When I'm playing long gigs and keeping an eye on hand pressure, I apply little, to no, pressure from the thumb onto the neck. That is only possible when the guitar is set up optimally. Unfortunately many guitar's need too much pressure due to a less than optimal set up.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
The first thing I would do is make certain the guitar is set up to play as lightly as possible. When I'm playing long gigs and keeping an eye on hand pressure, I apply little, to no, pressure from the thumb onto the neck. That is only possible when the guitar is set up optimally. Unfortunately many guitar's need too much pressure due to a less than optimal set up.
Thanks buddy. I purposely set my guitars up to play as lightly was possibly so I do think this is entirely my fault. I'm trying to concentrate on chording as lightly as possible but I think I'm failing desperately there.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 09-15-2019, 07:36 PM

Would lighter-gauge strings be an option?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Hey Mick,

Sorry, this is not the answer you want, but it happens.
There is a thing called “tactile” sensation. When repeating anything for years, our minds can sometimes misinterpret this feedback. When that happens, (as I believe it is with you-based on similar experience-mine and students) you literally have to relearn the behavior.

Here’s what I did:
Every day you play (without an audience) use barely enough pressure to fret the strings. If the notes or chords are not clean-don’t worry!
Relax your hand and fingers and keep the grip super light.

After a few days, increase the pressure just enough so that the notes or chords are clear-no more.

Keep applying this routine for a month or more-you may think you’re good but keep going until you have a good four weeks under your belt.

Your tactile sensation will “return” to what it was, and it won’t require any further thought.

Mark

P.S. Things will go back to normal.
Been there. Got back.
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 09-15-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Ok I've been playing and gigging for all of my adult life and in the last year I've noticed an issue I just can't seem to correct on my own. I'm obviously pressing down too hard when playing chords because going into my third hour on a gig my fretting hand fingers are throbbing and I've worn grooves into my callouses. I've been working to remain constantly cognoscent of the amount of pressure I'm applying to the strings but I think I'm still gripping way too tightly and gigging is getting painful. Anybody got any tips they can share? Other than "lighten up" because I'm trying that and it isn't helping.

Not a professional, but what fairly quickly allowed me to lighten my fretting pressure was to practice very quietly. I read that when one hand is working hard, the brain tries to help out by increasing the tension in the opposite hand.

Practicing this way really lightened my fretting pressure and made that feel normal. Then I could increase volume and keep pressure down.

Occasionally I need to practice quietly again if the hard fretting habit tries to creep back in.

Mike
Old 09-15-2019, 09:43 PM

Get a cheap "other" guitar and put something like .09's on there. Play it for an hour a day, and try not to sound terrible. You'll lighten up your touch pretty quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-16-2019, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Hey Mick,

Sorry, this is not the answer you want, but it happens.
There is a thing called “tactile” sensation. When repeating anything for years, our minds can sometimes misinterpret this feedback. When that happens, (as I believe it is with you-based on similar experience-mine and students) you literally have to relearn the behavior.

Here’s what I did:
Every day you play (without an audience) use barely enough pressure to fret the strings. If the notes or chords are not clean-don’t worry!
Relax your hand and fingers and keep the grip super light.

After a few days, increase the pressure just enough so that the notes or chords are clear-no more.

Keep applying this routine for a month or more-you may think you’re good but keep going until you have a good four weeks under your belt.

Your tactile sensation will “return” to what it was, and it won’t require any further thought.

Mark

P.S. Things will go back to normal.
Been there. Got back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post
Not a professional, but what fairly quickly allowed me to lighten my fretting pressure was to practice very quietly. I read that when one hand is working hard, the brain tries to help out by increasing the tension in the opposite hand.

Practicing this way really lightened my fretting pressure and made that feel normal. Then I could increase volume and keep pressure down.

Occasionally I need to practice quietly again if the hard fretting habit tries to creep back in.

Mike
Thank y’all very much. This is exactly what I needed. I’m pretty heavy handed with my right hand and I think my left hand is trying to grip harder to keep up. I guess it’s time to hit the woodshed and see if I can get my brain and my hands to work together to get rid of the problem.

Keep the suggestions coming...I need all the help I can get!
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 09-16-2019, 04:46 AM

Experiment to find the minimum pressure you need to sound a note or chord. Touch the string(s) with your fret hand and push them slowly down to the fret.
Before the string reaches the fret it is, of course, "fret muted". Picking it just produces a "thunk". As it gets to the fret, that "thunk" turns into a note. At the moment it turns into a note, stop pressing.
You don't need to force the strings down to the wood, only hold them against the frets.
I.e., playing with a lot of fret muting (on and off) is a good way to test how much (little) pressure you need. As you strum (or pick), keep fret muting, allowing the strings off the frets then back on. Look for that optimum point when the muting turns into notes.

It's also worth bearing in mind that playing live can make you play harder, subconsciously. You feel you have to up your game, to play louder, to get it out there. That's true to some extent - it's no good being hesitant, you have to play with total confidence. So it's a difficult balance to strike: to "sound strong" without actually using a lot of strength. But that mostly comes down to timing. You can be absolutely crisp with your rhythm, while still being light with your pressure.

BTW, when you talk about "grooves in your calluses" as you go into your third hour - that's not really surprising. The problem is those throbbing fingers, right? Personally I never play for more than two (separate) hours at my gigs, but grooves easily form in my fingertips, just from holding one chord for a while. However, I have no calluses - the skin is just a little tougher, no visible difference from my other hand - and my fingers are never tired or painful. I'm sure I could play for a third hour (or more) with no problem. If it's relevant, my strings are 10s, I have the action as low as I can get it, and I use a .73 or .88 pick. I play both lead and rhythm. On acoustic, the only difference is I use 11s.

Last edited by JonPR; 09-16-2019 at 04:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write