The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Louis

Thanks. I've not subscribed to the written Premier stuff…just the YouTube versions.

Somebody 'out there' knows. If Billy will still be running the rig the same way in 6 months, probably only the sound techs will know. Whatever he's doing, it sounds great.

Absolutely!

I was referring to the write up on the Premier site that goes with the video posting there (I don't know if there's a print version with more information).

Mr. Strings is an inspiring player from all sorts of angles!

Louis
Old 09-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Absolutely!

I was referring to the write up on the Premier site that goes with the video posting there (I don't know if there's a print version with more information).

Mr. Strings is an inspiring player from all sorts of angles!

Louis
Hi Louis

He is inspiring on many levels. I love his infectious energy. He's certainly no dummy, but he comes across sometimes as almost un-interested in the rig (till it comes to the psychedelic part of the shows).

I love his enthusiasm to make music.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-17-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Heh, I've experimented plenty. If i was going to assume, I would indeed assume that he'd like to hear the mic in his in ears also because the K&K is gawd awful sounding by itself.
Hi ms

If I were happy with the sound of the Pure Mini by itself, I'd have never spent the time/energy/money to use an internal mic and buy the preamps to make it all work.

I've lost my enthusiasm for K&K's changes to the dual source since they now cripple the mic. I'd go to the ToneDexter if starting from scratch these days.

The day I realized audiences don't care about the sound like I do, I've backed off trying to get the perfect pickup-->preamp-->acoustic amp/PA. My sound checks these days last about 5 minutes. I use the stage amp to make me happy and let the house manage what I ask of them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-17-2019, 12:47 PM

Although I don't think this is what he's doing, some performers do in fact have certain pickups out front and others in the monitor. Tom Petty for example used the Lr Baggs M1 with the Ibeam. According to his tech, the M1 was in his monitors and the Ibeam and a bit of the M1 were out front. But as mentioned, I believe both the K&K and mic are out front, he's just getting a bit of mic for air.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:41 PM

I can assure you the mic is only out in front .It wouldn't be a good idea to run the internal mic through distortion.He probably runs it wireless to front of house , and thus gets separate eq on it .

Last edited by fingeryoga; 05-15-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:55 PM

Sorry , I see this has been mentioned
Old 05-17-2020, 05:29 AM

Ive seen him perform a few times.
once in asheville i saw him in a small club. He gets a really good tone out
of his rig clean and bluegrass when he wants and down and dirty when he wants..im sure the mic adds to the clean
end of things. And his tech probably does most of this. When i saw him in nc
his mandolin player was using a grace
felix..billy could utilize the mic input on
that for the 350. could be at the volumes
he plays he wants to keep it out of the monitors. perhaps its 2 seperate sends
blended different out front than on stage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification