The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-03-2019, 08:30 AM

Default Radial firefly vs orange acoustic pre

I know both are tube preamp can be used for acoustic guitar. I wonder how different between the tube part of both preamp. Anyone have experience?

For example, which one drive the tube more (give more tube character)?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 09-03-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I reviewed both for Acoustic Guitar, tho far apart in time, so I couldn't compare them directly. My memory is that the Firefly was a nice warm, fat sound, but didn't produce much (if any) distortion. The Orange's heat control can definitely be cranked up into audible distortion, so it has more drive, if memory serves me correctly. It also has a lot more tone shaping options (EQ). Sort of as you might expect, the Firefly is a "DI", with minimal features, the Orange is a dual-channel preamp, with reverb, EQ, etc.

Distortion, saturation, character, whatever you want to call it is funny, tho. No two approaches are alike, and it's not like one is inherently better, depends on what appeals to you. And a little "tube drive" on an acoustic goes a long way.

PS: it looks like I reviewed the Firefly around the end of 2012, if you can find the article, maybe I talked about the drive aspect - it'd be more accurate than my memory now. There may also be a demo video... I know I did one of the Orange.

Last edited by Doug Young; 09-03-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:54 PM

Thank you. I do watched your both review at youtube which is greatly informative. Just my old Radial firefly is not working now and I can consider whether to get a new Radial Firefly or the Orange acoustic pre.

For me, the Radial firefly can be used for almost all instrument. Somehow I can lend it for bass player to use in my situation. I never try for keyboard but quite sure it can too;

the Orange Acoustic Pre I expected that is specially design for acoustic guitar, have two channel and you've mentioned that it can drive the tube more. However, the stage only have 1 XLR input but there is no mix XLR output for it.

I would like to seek for more advice. Thank you Doug for your precious reply. That really help!

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

Last edited by douglasfan1; 09-03-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Another option to consider for the saturation effect is the Baggs Session DI, or alternately the Baggs Align Session pedal, which you could add to any signal chain or effects loop. One alternate to the Orange, in the same price range, but a bit more flexibility in features and signal path is the Grace Felix - no overdrive - it's ultra-clean - but you could add the Align Session to the effects loop.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Another option to consider for the saturation effect is the Baggs Session DI, or alternately the Baggs Align Session pedal, which you could add to any signal chain or effects loop. One alternate to the Orange, in the same price range, but a bit more flexibility in features and signal path is the Grace Felix - no overdrive - it's ultra-clean - but you could add the Align Session to the effects loop.
Thank you for your advice. I never thought about using Grace Felix with L.R.Baggs Align Session pedal through effect loop. I should go to local store and try.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 09-16-2019, 02:11 AM

May I ask one more question about the Orange Acoustic pre: Is it possible to have the XLR output giving mixed signal or it has to be separated? Thank you.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 09-16-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I believe that the XLR outputs are always separate, the 1/4 inch is blended on the Orange - keep in mind it's been about a year since I last saw one. That makes perfect sense for you they expect you to use the device - a blended 1/4 inch ouput to an on-stage amp, the XLRs into a mixer for a PA, where they can be blended.

The Grace Felix is more flexible and allows you to choose the source of each XLR output - individual channel or the mix of the two.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification