The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-22-2019, 04:00 PM

Default Things people can do with their fingers that you can't...

My first post.

Does it ever bug you when you're trying to work out a song and realise that you can't get your fingers to do something that someone else can?

I've just worked out the Jerry Reed fingerstyle tune "Baby's Coming Home" but have had to make two serious departures from the fingering in the tabbed version I'm using.

The opening phrase seems to utilise one finger tip covering two strings and there is no way my thin fingers can do this without flattening enough to affect other strings.

Secondly there is a C9 shape played over all 6 strings (3 3 2 3 3 3). Most players use a shape whereby the second finger of the left hand is used for the two bass notes and arched up at the top joint to avoid contact with the third string. Many players seem able to almost make an L-shape at this joint. My finger barely bends at all here! So the only way I can play this and get all the strings to ring through, is from the bass strings, left hand thumb for the first two notes, first finger for the third and barre with third finger for the rest (leaving pinky to make a stretch to fifth fret on first string for the next note in the sequence).

I guess I'm fortunate enough to have long thin fingers and the ability to wrap my thumb over frets, as the last shape I mentioned would be tricky for some.

Has anyone else struggled to play a tune because their fingers "work in a different way"?
Old 08-23-2019, 02:33 AM

Sorry, your title means I just have to post this - Django Reinhardt spoofing for the camera:

(Worth bearing in mind that there are things we can all do with our left hand that Djanjo couldn't, because his ring and pinky were crippled.)

Anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerbuster View Post
there is a C9 shape played over all 6 strings (3 3 2 3 3 3). Most players use a shape whereby the second finger of the left hand is used for the two bass notes and arched up at the top joint to avoid contact with the third string.
Really? The way I'd play that shape is:
-3- ring
-3- ring
-3- ring
-2- middle
-3- index
-3- thumb

That's if was strumming or wanted all six to sound together. If playing alternating bass, I'd probably use index back and forth on the 5th and 6th strings.
I understand that not everyone can barre with their ring like that - it requires some double-jointing, even if you use some kind of mash-up of ring and pinky to cover those three strings, assuming you actually need all 3 strings.
But I certainly couldn't play both the bass strings with my middle finger and leave the 4th string free. (Actually I just checked, and I can just about do it, but it feels weird, and not fingering I'd normally use.)
Quote:
Many players seem able to almost make an L-shape at this joint. My finger barely bends at all here!
That reverse bendability will increase the more you practise - at least that's what I found (many years ago now). But it doesn't come quick.
Quote:
So the only way I can play this and get all the strings to ring through, is from the bass strings, left hand thumb for the first two notes, first finger for the third and barre with third finger for the rest (leaving pinky to make a stretch to fifth fret on first string for the next note in the sequence).
Sure you don't mean middle finger for the barre? That would be the obvious one for me if playing the shape like that - then pinky can reach to 5. I can reach pinky to 5 from my shape, but it won't go there if I wrap my thumb to both bass strings.
Quote:
Has anyone else struggled to play a tune because their fingers "work in a different way"?
Sometimes. Can't remember details.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:48 AM

I would thumbwrap both the low E and A strings - it takes practice, and my fingers are not long, so can be done by almost everyone.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-23-2019, 06:57 AM

"Really? The way I'd play that shape is:
-3- ring
-3- ring
-3- ring
-2- middle
-3- index
-3- thumb"

Yes, I can play it that way, but in a fast fingerpicking context I find the other shape easier to get in and out of ensuring full clarity of all strings, otherwise I find the D string can get muffled.

And yes, I did mean a middle finger barre for the shape I play, to ensure being able to reach the fifth fret of high E string with pinky.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I use work arounds all the time. My first question is how does anyone finger pick a six string chord with five fingers? So don't finger the string that's not being played. I joke to make a point. Finger the notes being played and move your fingers to fret the next notes to be played. While a note is being played your other fingers may be in motion to finger the next note to be played etc.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Does it ever bug you when you're trying to work out a song and realise that you can't get your fingers to do something that someone else can?
My friend, I am about three months into my guitar experience. So most everyone can do most everything I can not.
Cheers
David
Old 08-25-2019, 12:41 PM

The chord in question I play with three fingers, my middle finger tip covering the A & E strings. I can do that because my fingertips are broad and blunt, which is also the reason I can't play a nut narrower than 1-3/4". I typically play a 1-7/8" width. BTW, that chord has applications but otherwise it isn't a pleasant sound.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:29 AM

I have double jointed thumbs. It doesn't help anything, but I got that going for me.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My first post.

Hi Faceb…

Nope.

If I decide to learn it, I know how to go about it. I've learned a ton of creative fingerings, shapes, tips and techniques from watching people who play differently than me.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write