The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2019, 06:57 PM

Default Tonedexter wavemap experiment

I made a quick audio file this evening that illustrates what the character knob and two pedals do in my system.

1) 100% wavemap, CH2, compressor is bypassed, reverb is bypassed
2) 100% wavemap, CH2, compressor is on, reverb is on (for quiet restaurants)
3) 70% wavemap, compressor is on, reverb is on (for loud stages and crazy reflective joints)
4) 50% wavemap, compressor is on, reverb is on (for when things go completely nutz)

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 09-16-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I made a quick audio file this evening that illustrates what the character knob and two pedals do in my system.

1) 100% wavemap, CH2, compressor is bypassed, reverb is bypassed
2) 100% wavemap, CH2, compressor is on, reverb is on (for quiet restaurants)
3) 70% wavemap, CH2, compressor is on, reverb is on (for loud stages and crazy reflective joints)
4) 50% wavemap, CH2, compressor is on, reverb is on (for when things go completely nutz)

What’s the pickup being used? Sounds almost magnetic. My favourite was the 50% blend which I tend to use live.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:05 PM

K&K in a Martin CEO7.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
K&K in a Martin CEO7.
Thanks! One question though, you have CH2 for all clips. I assume this refers to character? If so, I didn't think you could have CH2 with the blend below 100%?
Old 09-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Thanks! One question though, you have CH2 for all clips. I assume this refers to character? If so, I didn't think you could have CH2 with the blend below 100%?
Oops. I've fixed it. The CH2 is only when at 100%.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:46 PM

I appreciate all Tonedexter shared experiences and audio examples. I do always want to know the microphone used for the wavemap creation and it's position. I know you are emphasizing the "difference" that the blend makes, but I still like to know.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellomangler View Post
I appreciate all Tonedexter shared experiences and audio examples. I do always want to know the microphone used for the wavemap creation and it's position. I know you are emphasizing the "difference" that the blend makes, but I still like to know.
Mic: Miktek PM5
Position: Above five inches above the 12th fret, aimed across the strings (low to high) and at the high string side of the upper bout
Old 09-17-2019, 10:13 AM

Really interesting, thanks for doing this.

In a through-a-PA context with a vocal, I'd find the first two a bit lacking in their ability to "fill up the speaker" and support the vocal. No lower mids, which not only work in tandem with the dominant vocal frequency range, but help with masking a singer's iffy intonation (which applies to almost all of us). The predominant upper-mid frequencies in the first two, just an educated guess, would actually fight the vocal.

The third and fourth samples have much more utility in those regards, even if they don't sound as much "like a guitar."

And I wouldn't have known the reverb was on if you hadn't said so, because you never stop playing. :-)

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification