The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-04-2019, 02:47 AM
jhony jhony is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 9
Default Please advised onboard preamp, pick up for Masterbuilt Dr 500MCE

Hello everyone,
Newby here, I purchased in USA and going back to Argentina: Masterbuilt Dr 500mce, TC Play Acoustic and Fishman Loudbox Artist amp.
Then I heard horrible stories about the Masterbuilt preamp E Sonic 2 electronics. If it breaks, what would you replaced it with? The guitar has a dual pick up, Nanomag and Nanoflex.
What will be best for this guitar, pedal and amp combination?
I will be playing (mostly strumming) in the house, friends and family.

Thank you for your help!
Jhony

Last edited by jhony; 08-04-2019 at 03:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2019, 03:50 AM
Marty C Marty C is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 671
Default

I think you will be great with what you purchased. I wouldn’t even consider changing anything until you have lots of experience with these items.

There are lots of great reviews on this guitar and lots of people love this preamp. Give it lots of playing time. I think you will be happy with your purchases.

Congrats and enjoy!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2019, 05:59 AM
DCCougar's Avatar
DCCougar DCCougar is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I think you will be great with what you purchased.
Yeah, should be good, and congrats on your NGD! If you do happen to have problems with the ES2 system, I'd replace it with a K&K mini.
__________________
2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst
2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
2018 Gibson Songwriter Rosewood Burst Ltd. Ed. 12-string
2014 Martin GPC12PA4

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:04 AM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 7,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhony View Post
Hello everyone,
Newby here, I purchased in USA and going back to Argentina: Masterbuilt Dr 500mce, TC Play Acoustic and Fishman Loudbox Artist amp.
Then I heard horrible stories about the Masterbuilt preamp E Sonic 2 electronics. If it breaks, what would you replaced it with? The guitar has a dual pick up, Nanomag and Nanoflex.
What will be best for this guitar, pedal and amp combination?
I will be playing (mostly strumming) in the house, friends and family.

Thank you for your help!
Jhony
Having purchased an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE this past spring, I find the onboard Shadow ESonic2 system to be very versatile and good sounding. If the system should ever fail you, you can buy replacement parts for it from Shadow Electronics, either from their home-base German website or their American website. Enjoy Your New Epiphone & gear!
__________________
Emerald X20 (Element VTC)
Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic
Taylor 717e ES2
Larrivee D-40M Legacy
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Martin HD-28 (Trance M-VT)
Martin D-18 (Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2)
Martin D Jr (B-Band A1.2N)
Taylor 614ce ES2
Taylor 618e ES2
Taylor 356ce ES2
Taylor 322ce ES2
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa ES2
Epiphone DR-500MCE (Shadow eSonic2)
Ovation Elite Plus Contour (OpProStudio)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-2019, 08:41 AM
JakeStone JakeStone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Having purchased an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE this past spring, I find the onboard Shadow ESonic2 system to be very versatile and good sounding. If the system should ever fail you, you can buy replacement parts for it from Shadow Electronics, either from their home-base German website or their American website. Enjoy Your New Epiphone & gear!
Agreed above!

I have an Epi Hummingbird Pro with the Shadow brand electronics. It sounds fantastic with my LR Baggs Venue pedal for EQ and Boost.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:27 AM
jhony jhony is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 9
Default

The reason I am looking for recommendations is because once in Argentina, I will have to import the pream and the cost is more than double, and is difficult to deal with customs officials.
Yes, the K&K is highly recommended, but I will loose the magnetic pick up.
Is there a preamp with good reviews that can handle dual pick ups, ( magnetic and piezo pickup )
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-04-2019, 11:32 AM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 7,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhony View Post
The reason I am looking for recommendations is because once in Argentina, I will have to import the pream and the cost is more than double, and is difficult to deal with customs officials.
Yes, the K&K is highly recommended, but I will loose the magnetic pick up.
Is there a preamp with good reviews that can handle dual pick ups, ( magnetic and piezo pickup )
Grace Design Felix Two-Channel Preamp but it's very expensive and you'd still have to pay import duty on it or any other preamp. Even if the Grace or any other preamp is available in Argentina, the import duty will have already been paid and the cost passed on to you, wouldn't it?

An onboard system that may interest you is the Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 that comes with a Schatten HFN pickup soldered to the endpin preamp's Channel 1 which leaves the Second Channel available for other pickup types, including, I believe, magnetic pickups. You could even solder your Epiphone's NanoMag pickup (after splicing additional-length leads to the NanoMag so it reaches the endpin preamp) to Channel 2.
__________________
Emerald X20 (Element VTC)
Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic
Taylor 717e ES2
Larrivee D-40M Legacy
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Martin HD-28 (Trance M-VT)
Martin D-18 (Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2)
Martin D Jr (B-Band A1.2N)
Taylor 614ce ES2
Taylor 618e ES2
Taylor 356ce ES2
Taylor 322ce ES2
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa ES2
Epiphone DR-500MCE (Shadow eSonic2)
Ovation Elite Plus Contour (OpProStudio)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 AM
JackB1 JackB1 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,420
Default

The stock pickup system on that Epiphone is very good! Better sounding than almost all normal piezo systems. Keep it as is and enjoy it. It has a great plugged in sound. I think that Epi DC500mce is one of the best stage guiatrs you can buy for < $750.
__________________
Gear: Gibson J-45 Standard cutaway (2018), Martin DCPA4, Yamaha FG700S, Presonus Air10, Play Acoustic
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=