The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-15-2019, 04:47 PM

Default Vince Gill - D-TAR Pickup System

Just out of curiosity, I have read that Vince Gill uses the D-TAR pickup system in his 0000 Martins. https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...s_Touring_Gear
Anybody know if he is using the D-TAR Multi-Source Pickup-Mic System or the D-TAR Wave-Length Pickup System?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Last edited by olkev; 09-15-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by olkev View Post
Just out of curiosity, I have read that Vince Gill uses the D-TAR pickup system in his 0000 Martins.
Anybody know if he is using the D-TAR Multi-Source Pickup-Mic System or the D-TAR Wave-Length Pickup System?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
I confess I've never heard of the D-TAR. Tell me more.

It looks it's a condenser mic. Similar to the Baggs Lyric? Any major feedback issues?

Thanks,
Scott Memmer
Old 09-15-2019, 05:25 PM

Wave-Length Multi-source system - steel

Wavelength Solo

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...Slinger?page=4

I don't have one myself but, I have read that they are less susceptible to feedback.

Last edited by olkev; 09-15-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olkev View Post
Wave-Length Multi-source system - steel

Wavelength Solo

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...Slinger?page=4

I don't have one myself but, I have read that they are less susceptible to feedback.
The D-Tar Wavelength is an under saddle pickup, that has been around for quite some time. The pickup element itself is the same as the Bagg's "Element", sort of a soft braided pickup. The Wavelength preamp uses a voltage multiplier to run at 18 volts, giving it more headroom than many, and as a result, perhaps less "quack" than some. The Multi-Source is the same pickup/preamp, but adds an internal mic - you can also add your own internal mic to the basic wavelength system. I see no reason to think the system is any less feedback-prone than any other UST.

Last I heard, Laurence Juber was still using the Wavelength and it has been included in some of his Martin Signature models. LJ adds a different internal mic (an Audix I believe).

I have some sound samples on my pickup page of the Wavelength alone, and with a DPA 4061 mic (so sort of an upgraded version of the multi-source)

Check out Laurence demoing and talking about his Wavelength setup here: https://pegheadnation.com/instrument...-and-omc-21lj/
Old 09-15-2019, 08:50 PM

I saw Vince play tonight. His acoustics sounded pretty good. If I had to guess, he's only using the UST. I have Rick Turner Renaissance guitars that use the D-tar UST system and they sound great. Vince's Martins sounded similar.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I bought a used Martin 000-28EC once that had a D-TAR Multi-source pickup system and it was the best sounding aftermarket system I've ever used. I didn't find it was prone to feedback perse unless you accidently turned your guitar towards the amp! The mic blend was very sensitive and if you dialed it up too much it screamed like a banshee but if you dialed it right (low) and kept your guitar facing in the right direction it was fine.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

and it gets even better with the multi source.....the preamp can switch to stereo...then stereo cord to something like soltice and the regular V/T dials now switch to volumes for UST and the mic (with phantom)...awesome system...
Old 09-17-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
and it gets even better with the multi source.....the preamp can switch to stereo...then stereo cord to something like soltice and the regular V/T dials now switch to volumes for UST and the mic (with phantom)...awesome system...
BTW, if I'm recalling correctly, they discontinued the original Wavelength, and it has now re-emerged as the Wavelength Solo. With the old Wavelength, you could do this same thing with your own mic - how I always setup dual source pickups. The Wavelength manual gave instructions for how to configure the system to provide mic power or to set it up to be powered by an external preamp. The manual for the new Wavelength Solo seems to be quite different, and only talks about adding the optional V/T control. Looking closely a the circuit board photo, it looks the same to me, with solder pads for a second source (doesn't have to be a mic) and holes for a resistor that supports mic power, but the instructions don't talk about this that I can tell, so you'd be on your own if you want to add your own 2nd source instead of using their standard multi-source setup.

We had a monster thread about using the wavelength preamp - which is a nice, high headroom preamp - with custom options quite a while back:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=222529

it appears that with the newest revision, they're at least not going to document how you'd do this.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
BTW, if I'm recalling correctly, they discontinued the original Wavelength, and it has now re-emerged as the Wavelength Solo. With the old Wavelength, you could do this same thing with your own mic - how I always setup dual source pickups. The Wavelength manual gave instructions for how to configure the system to provide mic power or to set it up to be powered by an external preamp. The manual for the new Wavelength Solo seems to be quite different, and only talks about adding the optional V/T control. Looking closely a the circuit board photo, it looks the same to me, with solder pads for a second source (doesn't have to be a mic) and holes for a resistor that supports mic power, but the instructions don't talk about this that I can tell, so you'd be on your own if you want to add your own 2nd source instead of using their standard multi-source setup.

We had a monster thread about using the wavelength preamp - which is a nice, high headroom preamp - with custom options quite a while back:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=222529

it appears that with the newest revision, they're at least not going to document how you'd do this.
Doug, thanks. You know, I'm not much of a gearhead and am pretty much just a plug and play kinda guy. Just plug me in and let me go. No muss, no fuss. I have two guitars with the Trance Audio Amulet in them, and my HD-28 has the full Baggs Lyric rig. I'm done looking for now. But hadn't heard of this one, so was curious.

Thanks, As Always,
Scott
Old 09-18-2019, 04:15 AM

Hi,
I had DTAR Multisource in the past (with good overall performance, mic nicely rounding piezo UST sound).
Lately I bought SD Wavelength Solo for another guitar and I can confirm, that it is possible to use 2nd source by following instructions from "old" manual.

By the way - I think I saw here on AGF schematic diagram of tone/volume controls for DTAR Wavelength pickup - does anyone know how to find it?

Regards,
Marek
Old 09-19-2019, 09:01 AM

To my way of thinking, one of the Wavelength system's distinguishing characteristics is that it seems to have a "zippier" response than most other UST systems. It responds more dynamically when the player transitions from a light string attack to a more forceful attack.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:09 PM

I had the original Wavelength added to a Koa T5 custom. It did sound pretty amazing and was an improvement over the 9V systems. You had to set the endpin preamp properly which was a little inconvenient but did give you some flexibility depending on the guitar.
D-TAR stands for Duncan, as in Seymore Duncam and Rick Turner Acoustic Research.
davidc
Old 09-22-2019, 01:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I had the original Wavelength added to a Koa T5 custom. It did sound pretty amazing and was an improvement over the 9V systems. You had to set the endpin preamp properly which was a little inconvenient but did give you some flexibility depending on the guitar.
D-TAR stands for Duncan, as in Seymore Duncam and Rick Turner Acoustic Research.
davidc
Thanks for that last bit of info. I'm a little preoccupied these days, and I wasn't aware of Rick Turner's involvement with that pickup system. He's a friend through social media, although we've never met.

Thanks Again,
Scott Memmer
Old 09-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Thanks for that last bit of info. I'm a little preoccupied these days, and I wasn't aware of Rick Turner's involvement with that pickup system. He's a friend through social media, although we've never met.

Thanks Again,
Scott Memmer
With regards to Rick Turner, I really miss the days when luthiers like Rick Turner, David Enke and Dave Wendler were heavily involved in the guitar forum discussions. They all had a great deal of expertise in the area of guitar amplification.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post

Last I heard, Laurence Juber was still using the Wavelength and it has been included in some of his Martin Signature models. LJ adds a different internal mic (an Audix I believe).
Yes on LJ and the Wavelength and Audix, though the placement of the mic is in quite a different place than before. His tech put it in the wrong spot and he ended up liking it better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification