The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 AM

I have several guitars that came with SS frets and I like the durability. I have a heavy fretting hand, but I regularly work on that. If I ever have to re-fret anything, it will be stainless as a first choice, and EVO Gold as the second choice.

I recall Bob Taylor saying in print years ago that they tried stainless frets but did not like the tone. My suspicion is that the issue was really extra tooling wear in a high-volume factory production environment, but I won't argue with Mr. Bob.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

This is timely. I just had a Brazilian OM re-fretted with SS and a Mahogany done in EVO and I’m not thrilled with the SS. It definitely changed the tone to brighter and now I know what the “zingy” term means. My tech charges the same for EVO or SS. I’m very close to re-doing it but I’m trying to get used to it too. My tech said most folks don’t notice a tonal shift, but perhaps more on a very high end, very articulate guitar. The EVO guitar sounds exactly the same.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:53 AM

I wonder if the tone change is that stainless frets the notes better. There is no metal deformation from the strings on the fret, allowing for a purer fretted note ?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I wonder if the tone change is that stainless frets the notes better. There is no metal deformation from the strings on the fret, allowing for a purer fretted note ?
Personally I did not hear any tone change on the four guitars I had refretted. However they are slicker and smoother (if properly finished by the tech) and you may need to alter your fretting precision a bit.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I had my 1998 Collings Ds2h refetted with EVO frets. Collings have strong trebles (inasmuch as they are well balanced across the strings).
The Evo frets tended to make it a little shrill sometimes.

I'm not sure I'd do it again.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Old 03-13-2018, 01:55 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
someone here said that would be harder to play .as in fretting ..? don't know... i 've considered steel frets for a while now ,but don't want anymore pressure pushing down on the strings.
I've read a few comments that went, "I didn't like how they felt." They won't affect string tension. They're a smidge slicker, so the strings like a little easier. If you're one of those who uses a lot of force, you could accidentally slide strings out of tune a bit easier on these frets.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:03 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
This is timely. I just had a Brazilian OM re-fretted with SS and a Mahogany done in EVO and I’m not thrilled with the SS. It definitely changed the tone to brighter and now I know what the “zingy” term means.
I am beginning to suspect that it can change the tone on some guitars, but not all. It must depend on certain factors. In my case the tone is different; I like it better, not worse. Thing is though, I only had this guitar with crappy frets to judge the before sound so I'm not sure it sounds better due to new and proper frets or due to the SS material (maybe a little of both). It is clearer. Maybe that's what people mean by brighter. The pitch isn't any different of course. Generally speaking, it sounds pretty much like the same guitar, but just with a slightly more articulate voice. It could be confirmation bias of course, but in my case I really didn't know what to expect so I'm not sure what my bias would be confirming.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

I built a tele with a Warmoth neck that had SS frets. I love it. I bet your acoustic feels amazing to play.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I recall Bob Taylor saying in print years ago that they tried stainless frets but did not like the tone. My suspicion is that the issue was really extra tooling wear in a high-volume factory production environment, but I won't argue with Mr. Bob.
I think you are perceptive.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Did you increase or decrease the size (height & Width) for the SS frets?

I have had many SS fret electrics and unplugged they do have brighter pingy tone when played lightly. Compared to a more than full strum, rhythm work.

I like the 3 or 4 Gold (not really gold) EVO frets and am currently getting a re-neck done on a Goodall that James graciously is doing. (Previous owner cracked the headstock pounding in the incorrect size tuner bushings).
Jean seemed to imply that most of the Ft Bragg Goodall necks now default to EVO fret wire when I questioned which fret material.

For acoustics that I bend on a lot (the older I get the less I do this) they don't need new frets. Thanks for the INFO. Hope your wolf notes disappear with time.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the background! Interesting discussion!

- Glenn
Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Can someone back channel me how to post a sound clip of “zingyness”? Do I need a soundcloud account or can I post from my iPhone or computer?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Can someone back channel me how to post a sound clip of “zingyness”? Do I need a soundcloud account or can I post from my iPhone or computer?
If you wish you can email me an attachment of a short sound clip and I will post it.

FWIW here is a sound clip of my stainless steel fretted Blanchard. No zingyness. YMMV

http://dcoombsguitar.com/CDFive/WhereToDemo.mp3
Old 03-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Did you increase or decrease the size (height & Width) for the SS frets?
No, I didn't want to alter the mass on the neck. The new frets are identical in dimensions to the prior.

Quote:

For acoustics that I bend on a lot (the older I get the less I do this) they don't need new frets. Thanks for the INFO. Hope your wolf notes disappear with time.
I filed down the top of the saddle until I can get time to fine-tune the new one; the weirdness went away. It was the saddle. The action is a hair too low now though, but that will be corrected soon.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
If you wish you can email me an attachment of a short sound clip and I will post it.

FWIW here is a sound clip of my stainless steel fretted Blanchard. No zingyness. YMMV

http://dcoombsguitar.com/CDFive/WhereToDemo.mp3
Thanks Derek, I’ll do that tomorrow. Your playing is wonderful and that Blanchard sounds like my SS Franklin Brazilian/German OM...not a bad thing at all! I’ll try to isolate what I’m referring to a zingyness. Perhaps, I just need to get used to the tone. I played it all day today so it’s certainly not bad, it is just surprisingly different and I really thought I wouldn’t hear a difference. Strangely, I have 2 and only re-fretted one so I know the tonal differences between them quite well even though they are the same woods but one is 29 years old and the other 10. I went with SS on the younger one as I thought if anything it’s tone was “darker” than the older one. Now it’s brighter in its attack...what I call zingy. Ill see what my recorder can get.

EDIT: I played the guitar all day and night and I thought my relief was too flat and maybe the zingyness was due to slight buzzing. The truss rod was all the way loose and its raining here, so the guitar is back at the tech for a double check to see if a touch more relief would help or to see if there is a high fret. The dinginess seemed to go away as I capo'd up the neck.

Last edited by blindboyjimi; 03-14-2018 at 03:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion