The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #211  
Old 03-13-2018, 02:10 PM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate Ny via Minnesota, soon heading to Texas
Posts: 3,986
Default

I am glad to hear the boss say this about his own nomenclature as I was too polite haha. I think I will order the manual.... I think I will say "I want one like Bob's latest" or something like that and leave it there for Bruce to figure out!
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 03-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Bruce Sexauer's Avatar
Bruce Sexauer Bruce Sexauer is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petaluma, CA, USA
Posts: 5,118
Default

Geez, Tom, a smart guy like you just needs to read all my post dating back to 2009 and you figure it out. The manual needs to be updated, but it is at the top of the page on "thelist".

I sanded the tree 00 well enough to expose the figure, and then shelved it while I complete Jmat's L00, and Tim's 2 guitars, the Koa Schoenberg and the D. tucurensis JB-15.

Here is the cleaned up 00:




And here is the inlay I cut this morning for the L00:
__________________
Bruce
http://www.sexauerluthier.com/
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 03-13-2018, 05:27 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,202
Default

Tom, I donít think you mean my latest but the one before that, the 0-42 that you played at Woodstock last year. That said, after you audition the SJ that Bruce made for me at the Artisan Guitar Show you might want one like that as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am glad to hear the boss say this about his own nomenclature as I was too polite haha. I think I will order the manual.... I think I will say "I want one like Bob's latest" or something like that and leave it there for Bruce to figure out!
__________________
Acoustic Flat Tops by: Mark Blanchard | Laurent Brondel | John Buscarino | Kent Chasson | Howard Klepper | Bruce Sexauer
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 03-13-2018, 05:32 PM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate Ny via Minnesota, soon heading to Texas
Posts: 3,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Tom, I donít think you mean my latest but the one before that, the 0-42 that you played at Woodstock last year. That said, after you audition the SJ that Bruce made for me at the Artisan Guitar Show you might want one like that as well...
Yes, you are right, that one...all the more reason to not go to Artisan, I have to reel this in somehow!
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 03-13-2018, 06:42 PM
Bruce Sexauer's Avatar
Bruce Sexauer Bruce Sexauer is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petaluma, CA, USA
Posts: 5,118
Default

Tom, as far as i am aware, you have only actually played one of my relevant guitars. I say that because neither the Dread nor the Flamenco you saw at WILS were really what I imagine to be your cup of tea. You happened to play a single 0. While that exact guitar is as good as any I've made, so are virtually all of the rest I've made in the last 10 or 15 years, and the remainder are not in the least embarrassing; I'd be hard pressed to actually pick any out, I suppose I am attempting modesty. My point is, you don't have to "get one like Bob's" to get an exceptional guitar from me. While I'd be delighted to build you a BRW single 0 similar to Bob's, part of my process when you commission one of my builds is to lead you toward decisions that get the guitar you actually want. Which I am doing right now , May is coming over the horizon!
__________________
Bruce
http://www.sexauerluthier.com/
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 03-16-2018, 07:47 PM
Bruce Sexauer's Avatar
Bruce Sexauer Bruce Sexauer is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petaluma, CA, USA
Posts: 5,118
Default

Today was busy in the shop! My #58, an FT-15 made from D. tucurensis, came in for a humidity related top crack repair, which I did for no charge, as is my way. No suggestion of neck geometry issues, which is reassuring.

Then 2 1/2 hours of Baroque era violin playing with my pal Louise.

Then, around 2:30 I got to work on stringing up the Jmat L00. It sounds better on the first run than the JB-L00 did on it's first, but that guitar has developed wonderfully since 3 weeks ago. The new one has the sound one expects (hopes for) from Brazilian, however, and the future looks rosy. Really rosy!!!





But wait, there's more! Yesterday I glued the Koa body to the Schoenberg neck, and today I created the fingerboard surface, inlaid the short diamond pattern, and fretted it. Tomorrow I hope to tear away enough time from inevitable birthday obligations to make a bridge and glue it on.



__________________
Bruce
http://www.sexauerluthier.com/
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 03-17-2018, 12:58 AM
Zandit75 Zandit75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Penguin, Tasmania, OZ
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Loving the design of that cutaway, but don't recalling seeing anything about it before. Is that your standard design? Looks like a Venetian/Florentine hybrid.
__________________
1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup


-----I see you're playing stupid again. It looks like Stupid's winning too!!!-----
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 03-17-2018, 08:30 AM
printer2 printer2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Loving the design of that cutaway, but don't recalling seeing anything about it before. Is that your standard design? Looks like a Venetian/Florentine hybrid.
Your new here, arn't you?
__________________
Fred
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 03-17-2018, 10:01 AM
Bruce Sexauer's Avatar
Bruce Sexauer Bruce Sexauer is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petaluma, CA, USA
Posts: 5,118
Default

Yes, it is a hybrid, and I have been doing it for long enough that several others are emulating it. If you look back though my series of AGF blog/threads, you will find many examples of this cutaway concept.
__________________
Bruce
http://www.sexauerluthier.com/
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 03-17-2018, 10:21 AM
jmat jmat is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 556
Default

Awesome as usual Bruce. I am liking that guitar for jmat! And it has been said, but that Koa is special stuff.

My recollection on the cutaway is that many years back Bruce was making a Venetian but the wood broke. Rather than scrap it, Bruce innovated his way into a new aesthetic that was functional, beautiful and distinct. The design has survived the test of time as Bruceís dominant design. It is interesting how constraint can serve as innovationís forcing function.

It is a harmonious design and it is hard, for me, to imagine a Sexauer without that cutaway. It needs a brand name, to bad bolognese has been co-opted by by pasta sauce. It is a city of learning, integration and elegance. It would be a fit for that cutaway.
__________________
Multiple guitars including a 1979 Fender that needs a neck re-set
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 03-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Zandit75 Zandit75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Penguin, Tasmania, OZ
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Your new here, arn't you?
Haha, 2.5yrs, so I guess you could say that!! Not sure why it hasn't stood out to me before, there's not many threads I have missed here in the custom section!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Yes, it is a hybrid, and I have been doing it for long enough that several others are emulating it. If you look back though my series of AGF blog/threads, you will find many examples of this cutaway concept.
Thanks Bruce, as mentioned above, I'm not sure how I haven't picked up on this design, I'm always checking out your threads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Awesome as usual Bruce. I am liking that guitar for jmat! And it has been said, but that Koa is special stuff.

My recollection on the cutaway is that many years back Bruce was making a Venetian but the wood broke. Rather than scrap it, Bruce innovated his way into a new aesthetic that was functional, beautiful and distinct. The design has survived the test of time as Bruceís dominant design. It is interesting how constraint can serve as innovationís forcing function.

It is a harmonious design and it is hard, for me, to imagine a Sexauer without that cutaway. It needs a brand name, to bad bolognese has been co-opted by by pasta sauce. It is a city of learning, integration and elegance. It would be a fit for that cutaway.
Thanks for the extra tidbit jmat, love hearing stories like that!
__________________
1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup


-----I see you're playing stupid again. It looks like Stupid's winning too!!!-----
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 03-17-2018, 05:12 PM
printer2 printer2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Yes, it is a hybrid, and I have been doing it for long enough that several others are emulating it. If you look back though my series of AGF blog/threads, you will find many examples of this cutaway concept.
So how do you feel about others using the design. I love it but decided to stay away from something similar out of respect. Mind you I have been avoiding putting a big S on the headstock also. The urge it there but...
__________________
Fred
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 03-17-2018, 06:31 PM
Bruce Sexauer's Avatar
Bruce Sexauer Bruce Sexauer is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petaluma, CA, USA
Posts: 5,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
So how do you feel about others using the design. I love it but decided to stay away from something similar out of respect. Mind you I have been avoiding putting a big S on the headstock also. The urge it there but...
I find that I do appreciate being asked. It seems very unlikely to me that I am the first to use this sort of hybrid cutaway design, it is too obvious. And yet I have not seen prior art. It has become something of a trademark, and when I do see it on other builder's work I feel a little shock. But by no means do I actually think I own it in some way, anymore than I think any other builder owns the wedge or the bevel.

I did get the bridge onto the Koa Schoenberg Soloist today:

__________________
Bruce
http://www.sexauerluthier.com/
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 PM
Bruce Sexauer's Avatar
Bruce Sexauer Bruce Sexauer is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petaluma, CA, USA
Posts: 5,118
Default

2000 words:



__________________
Bruce
http://www.sexauerluthier.com/
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 03-18-2018, 06:16 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,202
Default

Beautiful Bruce (and Tim).... Let us know how sounds after you get some time under string tension...
__________________
Acoustic Flat Tops by: Mark Blanchard | Laurent Brondel | John Buscarino | Kent Chasson | Howard Klepper | Bruce Sexauer
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=