The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Default What are you watching?

The extra time spent at home these last months cannot all be used for practicing scales so my wife and I have enjoyed a lot of British made TV. Acorn TV and Masterpiece Theatre, but we have run through many of the shows and are looking for ideas of any sort. What are you watching? When we can't find anything we have begun watching Blue Bloods once again just to watch Tom Selleck age.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Squid Game which was pretty good but I'm sure not for everyone. The Other Two on HBO which is pretty funny. Waiting for Succession and Dexter to come back in the next month.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:12 AM

Except for a few sports events, I watch YouTube almost exclusively. I find so many interesting posts and topics that I can't begin to list them all. Some of the musical talent is extraordinary. I'm not talking about well-known commercial artists, either. I'm talking about people you never heard of somehow scratching a living out of their YouTube channel. I had no idea this was an occupation.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Put this in the old thread yesterday so I'll repeat...

If you haven't seen "Fleabag" on Amazon, it's...amazing. Not for the faint of heart or easily offended, but a brilliant piece of work from and odd and very funny woman. She wrote and stars in it.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:21 AM

Let’s keep this thread going, one of the more interesting and informative OM threads I think and entertaining as well!
Old 10-07-2021, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I mainly watch shows or movies on Amazon Prime or Netflix. But we have watched so much stuff that we have run out of stuff that we can stand to watch.

The last few nights we have started to watch the baseball playoffs through our cable TV connection. We enjoyed watching Boston vs NY and LA vs St. Louis the last two nights.

Watching baseball for me is a different kind of viewing, where if my mind wanders -- as it does a lot -- you can easily pick things back up in the game and no one knows that I was working on a song arrangement in my head. If I do that in some mystery show -- my wife likes mysteries as long as they are not too brutal -- well, then you have lost information and then you don't know what's going on. That's about when I start to fall asleep.

- Glenn
Old 10-07-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
The extra time spent at home these last months cannot all be used for practicing scales so my wife and I have enjoyed a lot of British made TV. Acorn TV and Masterpiece Theatre, but we have run through many of the shows and are looking for ideas of any sort. What are you watching? When we can't find anything we have begun watching Blue Bloods once again just to watch Tom Selleck age.
If you like British shows, Last Tango In Halifax is a comedy-drama series that my wife and I just finished which we found extremely entertaining and one worth checking out. The writing is wonderfully witty with plenty of unexpected twists of plot, and the acting superb featuring Derek Jacobi, Ann Reid, Sarah Lancashire and Nicola Walker in lead roles with an excellent supporting cast joining them.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-07-2021, 02:07 PM

British Shows... Allo Allo is a great 80s comedy based on the French Resistance during WWII. I've watched the entire series a few years ago and I'll have to watch it again.

Anyone ever watch that show?
Old 10-07-2021, 03:59 PM

Just finished all 3 series of 'Mr Mercedes' - a new world record for most 'f-bombs' in a series.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-07-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Put this in the old thread yesterday so I'll repeat...

If you haven't seen "Fleabag" on Amazon, it's...amazing. Not for the faint of heart or easily offended, but a brilliant piece of work from and odd and very funny woman. She wrote and stars in it.
Well I tuned into S1E1 of “Fleabag” and 1:12 into it there were two people doing something that forum rules justifiably prohibit mentioning so I bailed. But you did warn me! 😂
Old 10-07-2021, 04:42 PM

My wife and I like watching the British "who dunnits", particularly the more sedate ones with scenery of the bucolic country side, no gritty murders or violence. Our favorites: Poirot, Midsommer Murders (a lot of these), Morse, Endeavour, Grandchester, Vera. Agatha Christie, and for something entertainingly different, Murdock Mysteries, a clever Canadian show set in turn of the century Toronto with many historical figures woven into the stories as well as scientific discoveries and quirky characters.

There is another thread on streaming shows that recommended a number of British "who dunnits" that we will be exploring.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:45 PM

That said, we find we have to use sub titles to understand a good portion of what is said in these British shows.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Well I tuned into S1E1 of “Fleabag” and 1:12 into it there were two people doing something that forum rules justifiably prohibit mentioning so I bailed. But you did warn me! 😂
She does not pull any punches! Kind of the beauty of it for me. Sorry it wasn't what you're looking for, but yeah I did warn ya! 😂
Old 10-07-2021, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
British Shows... Allo Allo is a great 80s comedy based on the French Resistance during WWII. I've watched the entire series a few years ago and I'll have to watch it again.

Anyone ever watch that show?
Oh yes. Another great example of British comedy, and a show that could never be made today.

“Good Moaning”
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-07-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Oh yes. Another great example of British comedy, and a show that could never be made today.

“Good Moaning”
Lizzen very carefully for I shall zay zis only wunce: Zis is vun of ze greatest comedy shows ever made!

It was probably the Monty Python or Fawlty Towers of the 80s - if you were a teen or twenty something, you had to know all the catchphrases. And sadly, I still do.

If you have access to the BBC and appreciate British humour and even better, have ever been involved in a theatre group, the Mischief Theatre's 'Goes Wrong Show' is a must. The premise is that they are a very bad amateur dramatics society and when they put on a show, it always goes wrong. We've watched all the TV specials, series one and been to see 'The Play That Goes Wrong' and 'The Play About the Bank Robbery' live. The second series has just dropped and is making us hanker after getting tickets to their latest offering 'Magic Goes Wrong'.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic