The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The 6 Sutter brothers from Viking Alberta who all played in the NHL. Amazing. Hopefully both Calgary and Edmonton can meet in the playoffs for a Battle of Alberta.

Larry - you must remember Duane from those 4 Cups. I have all those hockey cards from the 80s and it got confusing as to which brother was which, lol.
Dru, I sure as heck do remember him. A really good scrappy player. I always thought they would make a great documentary. Think about it. What are the chances that 6 brothers would make the pros??? Uncanny.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Dru, I sure as heck do remember him. A really good scrappy player. I always thought they would make a great documentary. Think about it. What are the chances that 6 brothers would make the pros??? Uncanny.
There's a four-part documentary on Youtube - here it is below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi9A0offkjo

Ever been through Viking? I have! Great little place...

Brian and Daryl were captains. So was Ron. I think Duane and Brent were, as well. Born leaders...

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

Last edited by Everton FC; 11-25-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:22 PM

I may be wrong but I thought the 7th brother who was the oldest, was apparently the best, but didn't pursue professional hockey due to the family farm responsibilities. That might be a myth because it makes a good story.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
There's a four-part documentary on Youtube - here it is below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi9A0offkjo

Ever been through Viking? I have! Great little place...

Brian and Daryl were captains. So was Ron. I think Duane and Brent were, as well. Born leaders...
Outstanding. Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to watching it.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
6 brothers making any of the 4 US/Canada pro sports leagues is impossible... well, a one time event? I just checked - Darryl "only" played 406 games (but has coached over 1300 games and won the Stanley Cups twice as a coach). Every other brother played at least 700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I may be wrong but I thought the 7th brother who was the oldest, was apparently the best, but didn't pursue professional hockey due to the family farm responsibilities. That might be a myth because it makes a good story.
I read the same thing.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:06 AM

The Pens managed to exorcise some of their recent playoff demons last night with a 1-0 win against the Islanders at the Isle's new arena. Tristen Jarry, who was victimized by the Islanders in the playoffs last year, was outstanding. The Pens have turned things around after a rough patch with 5 straight wins including 3 shutouts by Jarry. In the 2 games that weren't shutouts Jarry only surrendered 1 goal in each. Giving up only 2 goals against in 5 consecutive games is a new Penguins franchise record.

Given Calgary's incredible record of shutouts this year, I'm eagerly anticipating the Pens game against the Flames this coming Monday in Calgary.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-27-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
The Pens managed to exorcise some of their recent playoff demons last night with a 1-0 win against the Islanders at the Isle's new arena. Tristen Jarry, who was victimized by the Islanders in the playoffs last year, was outstanding. The Pens have turned things around after a rough patch with 5 straight wins including 3 shutouts by Jarry. In the 2 games that weren't shutouts Jarry only surrendered 1 goal in each. Giving up only 2 goals against in 5 consecutive games is a new Penguins franchise record.

Given Calgary's incredible record of shutouts this year, I'm eagerly anticipating the Pens game against the Flames this coming Monday in Calgary.
Congrats to Jarry. 2 goals against in 5 games for a record - I didn't know that. How's Crosby doing. He isn't getting a lot of points but that doesn't mean he's ineffective.

The Bruins need better goaltending. They're 31st in the league with save percentage on 5-on-5 play. Terrible, especially considering that Bergeron wins so many faceoffs - He leads the league with 63.7%.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Congrats to Jarry. 2 goals against in 5 games for a record - I didn't know that. How's Crosby doing. He isn't getting a lot of points but that doesn't mean he's ineffective.

The Bruins need better goaltending. They're 31st in the league with save percentage on 5-on-5 play. Terrible, especially considering that Bergeron wins so many faceoffs - He leads the league with 63.7%.
Crosby's slowly coming around after surgery and Covid issues. Each game he looks a bit better, but he admits that he's still not close to where he should be. He did have the primary assist on the only goal scored in the game last night, which sort of proves that even a struggling Crosby is pretty good!

The Bruins goaltending issues are dire. I imagine they sorely regret letting Dan Vladar go to the Flames. Ouch!

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-27-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Yes. Gary was the oldest, perhaps the most talented...

Watch the documentary, Brian explains why he didn't go to Red Deer like the rest of them.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 11-27-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Bruins made a huge error sending Vladar to the Flames for a 3rd round pick. Thank you, Boston!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 11-28-2021, 07:25 AM

Pens gave up 3 empty net goals last night to Montreal, although Crosby did score between the first and second empty netter. How did Jake Allen not make 1st star (he was 2nd)? He had 47 saves.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:49 PM

Hmmm, just read about Mr. Marchand getting a 3 game suspension for being his usual self, from the NHL.

On another note, the Leafs seem to be playing better lately, although not the same goal production.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:09 AM

Flames beat the Pens 2-1 in a shootout. Both goalies were outstanding, but Jarry was the only reason the Pens got a point. Flames dominated every aspect of the game except for goal.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-04-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Hmmm, just read about Mr. Marchand getting a 3 game suspension for being his usual self, from the NHL.

On another note, the Leafs seem to be playing better lately, although not the same goal production.
I'm a little upset with Marchand. Just a stupid move and a well deserved suspension. Not as embarrassing as getting 5 games for biting though - wow.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Sometimes feet get tangled going into the boards but this one was obvious. Amazing OEL didn’t get hurt. I don’t expect the NHL to do anything about the slew-foots because most often it’s just the momentum of the play. But When it’s this obvious, or in a case like Subban who has a history, at least make it a major in addition to suspension.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic