The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-23-2021, 07:05 PM

I used to keep a tennis ball in my car and sometimes at my desk at work, to squeeze whenever I had a moment.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:13 AM

I'm doing a very similar exercise. I guess I'm going have to start doing this exercise while watching TV. I've read doing exercises like this while watching TV quite often.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 11-24-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
I used to keep a tennis ball in my car and sometimes at my desk at work, to squeeze whenever I had a moment.
Ted Williams used to squeeze something harder, maybe a lacrosse ball, although I've also read that he used a tennis ball. Supposed also to strengthen the wrist.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
OMG, it looks easy when Pete does it but keeping your fingers on the strings and moving just the one finger is much more difficult than it looks. I can see where this would develop good finger control. Thank you! John
Old 11-25-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
OMG, it looks easy when Pete does it but keeping your fingers on the strings and moving just the one finger is much more difficult than it looks. I can see where this would develop good finger control. Thank you! John

It is a good reminder not to compare oneself to the teachers in the video. Most of them started young and have been playing more than I ever will and for decades.

My fingers may never quite get there because I am a hobby player without professional aspirations and am old enough that I’m 30 years other issue may get in the way!

But I can make my own progress and my own success.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
I’ve been playing for 1.5 years. The pinky (4th finger) on the fretting hand is an interesting character.

Does better fretting ability (speed, accuracy tone etc) come with experience or are there technique exercises are should try?
Go rock climbing, get hit by rockfall that amputates a 3rd off the length of your index finger, and you'll soon learn to use your pinky to form pretty much every chord.

Yes, it is a "needs - must". The more experience you gain at using your pinky the better you will get with it. Anything new is going to feel awkward at first.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:30 PM

Long ago I began to realize that there were a lot of notes i could play within the chord if I could control my pinky. I began to feel I'd play a lot better if I used it more, so went to work on that. It was awkward at first but but in due time it came along and is now integral to my playing style.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write