The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2023, 01:33 PM

Default Which New Guitar Sounds Like an old Yamaha FG140?

I am looking for a new acoustic guitar.

I loved my old 80's Yamaha FG-140 but it was a little too old and banged up for my taste.

I liked the tone cuz it was mostly a dull and warm tone... esp when pick/strum on the neck, and had just enough brightness when picked/strumed back on the bridge. Not too bright all over.

I'd like to find something new, and good quality, in the $400-$600 range, that sounds like the old Yamaha FG140. Looking for recommendations.
Thanks!
Old 05-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

The Yamaha FG-830 is basically the same thing as an FG-140 - solid spruce top with laminate back and sides. Nothing new is going to sound exactly like a 40+ year old guitar but that should get you close. If you can spend more look at the FG5 Red Label, they're all solid wood and you can probably find a used one for under $1k.

That said, is there anything wrong with the FG-140 from a playability or structural standpoint? Or do you just no like like that it's old? Because if it's the latter and you love the way it sounds, I'd just get over it and keep playing the guitar you already know you like.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

OP speaks of his old Yamaha in the past tense, so I suspect it may be long gone.

I concur with the suggestion of the newer Yamaha Red Label guitars, but perhaps an FG3 rather than an FG5 so save some bucks (although those FGs have mahogany, not rosewood, back and sides). The FG-830 already suggested with its rosewood laminate back and sides might be the closer match.

...and I know you said you wanted a new guitar, but there seem to plenty of actual FG-140s out there at pretty reasonable prices. Maybe one of those would do better at scratching the nostalgia itch?
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 05-12-2023, 05:23 PM

To me, Blueridge guitars share a tonal quality with Yamaha.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentA View Post
I am looking for a new acoustic guitar.

I loved my old 80's Yamaha FG-140 but it was a little too old and banged up for my taste.

I liked the tone cuz it was mostly a dull and warm tone... esp when pick/strum on the neck, and had just enough brightness when picked/strumed back on the bridge. Not too bright all over.

I'd like to find something new, and good quality, in the $400-$600 range, that sounds like the old Yamaha FG140. Looking for recommendations.
Thanks!
You will hardly find a new guitar that sounds like you describe it, maybe if you look for an all mahogany guitar you will get close.
Old 05-15-2023, 04:34 PM

Thanks, guys, I have made notes of all of this, and I will now visit my local music shop to see what they have, and I will consider these notes to help me find my new axe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
yamaha