The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2023, 07:53 PM

I wouldn't buy a small "travel" size guitar since they tend be be very lacking tonally. I also don't find them comfortable to play because they are too small for comfort. I'd go for a slightly larger size guitar like the GS mini.

I bought a GS mini 10 years ago to teach my kids how to play guitar. It's a great guitar for people with small hands and its compact size makes it very easy to play. The GS mini also has a curved back that arches outward that helps give it loud volume for a small guitar.

I found it on Craigslist for a great price. They are such a popular guitar for Taylor there are many of them out there for sale used. You should be able to find one for a reasonable price.
McConnell MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 04-13-2023, 08:05 PM

I’m not too concerned with acoustic sound surprisingly. I think it’s nice to have, but I plan on being plugged in on a headphone amp or PA most of the time. I actually tend to like the small bodies for their quiet sound which works a little better in hotel rooms for me.
Old 04-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonatamachine View Post
I’m not too concerned with acoustic sound surprisingly. I think it’s nice to have, but I plan on being plugged in on a headphone amp or PA most of the time. I actually tend to like the small bodies for their quiet sound which works a little better in hotel rooms for me.

Why not get a silent guitar then? Easy to travel with, quiet to others. There are some nice options out there for the cost of a modest standard guitar.
Old 04-13-2023, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

You might also see if you can find some Breedlove Concertinas in your area. They're basically a 00 size. The less-expensive models (Discovery S, Pursuit S) have 1-11/16" nuts and some are laminate, with a price in the range of $400-$700, or less used.

Or are you looking for something that is compact for travel? If so, take a look at some of the guitars by Journey. They have a removable neck and go into a small backpack.
Old 04-13-2023, 08:37 PM

How do silent guitars do for percussive playing?
Old 04-13-2023, 08:38 PM

Looks like one of my local shops stocks some Concertinas. Good price too. I'll have to try one out.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
How do silent guitars do for percussive playing?

Hi, Yamaha silent will not work for percussive, since they have only a piezo and a modelling.
Cordoba stage has to work ok, since there is a piezo and a body mic.
The new Ibanez is gorgeous looking and if i remember well, has to have a piezo and a mic as well.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I use a Martin Backpacker for this. Sounds kinda crappy on its own, but I had my luthier install a pick-up, and it sounds really nice with a headphone amp. The headphone sound is better than with a Martin LXM or LX1E, which I also use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
parlor, small acoustic, travel guitar