The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
Eastmans are certainly handcrafted. Martins are not, unless you are talking custom shop, and Alvarez are not, but Yairis are.

I would choose an Eastman over a Martin in a heartbeat.
I adore my Eastmans - but if you're looking for the Martin sound, the Eastmans don't have it, which is how I ended up with a Martin D-10E. I'll take an Eastman GA over a Taylor GA any day.
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 03-24-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
I recently played an Eastman acoustic of some flavor or another (not sure which model) at my local guitar shop. I was stunned at how great it sounded. It was heavenly.

I immediately put it back in the rack and walked away because because I was already trying to rationalize why I should buy it when, in fact, I need another acoustic about as much as I need my skull bashed in. But it was a stunningly good guitar, and a tremendous value for the price they were asking. It didn't stay on the rack long. Next time I checked, it was long gone. Someone good a great guitar.

+1 on the build quality, sound/tone of Eastman. I'm an Eastman and Martin fan. They each have a character of their own that will help justifying having both!

Last edited by Sacdubro; 03-26-2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzz View Post
I adore my Eastmans - but if you're looking for the Martin sound, the Eastmans don't have it, which is how I ended up with a Martin D-10E. I'll take an Eastman GA over a Taylor GA any day.
I would compare the Eastman sound to more of that vintage Gibson tone, at least to my ears. Sigma and Blueridge definitely sound like Martins.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:40 AM

Default Alvarez-Yairi quality is fantastic

A vote for Alvarez-Yairi. I have the special 50 year aged mahogany back and side, Adirondack top dreadnought .

Fantastic in every way. I realized a few months after playing this guitar that my Taylor 814ce deluxe was not getting played much…
Old 03-26-2023, 03:38 PM

Yeah, that Yairi model is an absolute beast, just crazy good.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:18 PM

I've always been of the option that Eastman and Breedlove at the $750 price point, although Alvarez really isn't too far behind so you're already on the right track.

They are slightly different sounding guitars. The Eastman has a generally pretty full sound where the Alvarez has less low end but pretty rich ringy highs (it does sound like a Koa guitar). If you play without a pick or pick lightly in particular, I would lean towards the Alvarez for this reason. The Eastman would be better for lead playing and picking heavier.

Hope that helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, choose, eastman, orchestra, wood