The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2022, 02:01 PM

Default Talk me into/Talk me out of a Taylor 314ce

So I am a newly single mama of a 5 month old, so obviously finances are not great. I’m looking for a positive outlet and music has been so therapeutic for me. I’ve decided I want to learn to play guitar and am of the opinion that I need something that will sound and feel good enough that I will get enjoyment out of picking it up and struggling to learn to play, and also would rather buy one guitar that I can grow into rather than needing to keep upgrading.

I went and tried every guitar in town and fell in love with a Taylor 314ce. There were serviceable yamahas and epiphones but... I don’t know if I loved them... but I just keep coming back to the Taylor. It just has the most amazing sound and feel in my hands. But, the price is hard to justify given my situation. I found some old AGF threads about getting a better price through the AGF sponsers but don’t know if this is still relevant. I’m stuck and would appreciate any advice.

I should also add that I went to all the pawn shops and they had no second hand Taylor’s.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:11 PM

Reverb and Ebay are probably your best bets for finding a 314ce for the right price. You might want to research a Taylor GA3 while you're at it. They're no longer made but will be very comparable sound and playability wise, without the cut away and electronics that add to the price. I had one and only traded up to get those features. Otherwise it was fantastic.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Welcome! The 314ce is a great Taylor model. I had one about 20 years ago. Definitely check Reverb and/or ebay for pre-owned. Good luck on your search and purchase.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:23 PM

I just bought my first Taylor. 13 years into playing guitar for me. I have a 324ce. I got a $300 off deal at a big box store and they apparently didn't know the model I got was all mahogany so I saved an extra $200 there as well. Anyway, most big box stores do 15% off and I believe there is a 48 month same as cash financing option if that's a route you're able/willing to go.

Yamahas have served me well and I still grab for them first, but if the Taylor speaks to you, get it. And, should you decide to not stick with guitar (hopefully not), admittedly the Taylor will hold its resale value much more than Yamaha or Epiphone.

Looking forward to your NGD Taylor 314ce post!!!
Old 12-21-2022, 02:23 PM

The 314 is a good choice. All solid wood and known to be relatively easy to learn on. IMO new Taylors are a bit overpriced, so I'd look used and maybe drop the "CE" part, which jacks up the price. As mentioned, the GA3 is the same, but an earlier model name. Check Reverb for what prices to expect.

Check Reverb, Sweetwater and others for good used examples. If you decide to go used, check back and there are many on the forum who can give good advice on finding a good deal and a safe business transaction.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:27 PM

If the 314 is too much of a stretch, consider the 214. Its also an excellent guitar for just north of 1k. A lot even prefer the 214’s. I have one, and it gets just as much playing time as my 814. Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
Old 12-21-2022, 02:30 PM

FWIW, I just sold a 2018 314ce that sat in its case most of the last few years. I LOVED it when I first got it and for a year or so, and then realized I like a more traditional voicing and somewhat lighter build. But the neck is absolutely perfect for me.

I also have a 114 (no cutout or electronics) that I always played more than the 314, but still less than most everything else. Just my personal preferences.. Taylors are objectively great guitars.

What is it about the Taylor 314 that appeals to you as "must have" traits?
Old 12-21-2022, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

If the 314 is saying, "Mountain Mama, Take me home," then by all means, take it home... that is as long as your finances will allow you to do so without sacrifice to necessities.

Check out our Classifieds. There are a couple pre owned Taylor's... a 514 and 614 at reasonable prices. and a GS mini Koa @ $750

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin

Last edited by Godfather; 12-21-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:06 PM

Don't let the guitar become a financial burden. Use your extra "fun" money on it. If that money isn't enough to comfortably buy the Taylor 314ce, then you may want to consider another cheaper guitar (there are very many that can sound just as good) or wait a bit and save up more money.

A beginner WILL put a lot of dings and dents into the guitar. If you are pushing the envelope of affordability the guitar, will you be ok emotionally and financially if your expensive gets dinged up?

Since you are brand new to guitar, I should also mention that many newcomers quit within a year or 2. The guitar has an initially steep learning curve compared to many other instruments. A cheaper but well-setup instrument might be a better fit; then you can promise yourself that once you've stuck with guitar for 1 year, you'll buy the 314ce as a reward. This way, you get extra motivation AND you might even realize that you like another guitar more than the 314ce (I used to like Taylors but now I like Martins more; so your taste can change).

Getting a guitar at your life situation is really a very good idea. You can learn all the children songs within 6 months, just in time for you baby. Just get a more affordable guitar.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_mama View Post
So I am a newly single mama of a 5 month old, so obviously finances are not great. I’m looking for a positive outlet and music has been so therapeutic for me. I’ve decided I want to learn to play guitar and am of the opinion that I need something that will sound and feel good enough that I will get enjoyment out of picking it up and struggling to learn to play, and also would rather buy one guitar that I can grow into rather than needing to keep upgrading.

I went and tried every guitar in town and fell in love with a Taylor 314ce. There were serviceable yamahas and epiphones but... I don’t know if I loved them... but I just keep coming back to the Taylor. It just has the most amazing sound and feel in my hands. But, the price is hard to justify given my situation. I found some old AGF threads about getting a better price through the AGF sponsers but don’t know if this is still relevant. I’m stuck and would appreciate any advice.

I should also add that I went to all the pawn shops and they had no second hand Taylor’s.
Hi Mm!

Hello and welcome to the forum!! (noticed it's your first post).

Talking guitar players out of getting a guitar that speaks to them is rarely successful.

Imagine the following responses to your request being spoken like a drone or robot…
  • Don't do it…
  • You will hate yourself in the morning…
  • This is delusion and you know it…
  • What will you friends say?
  • You are only fooling yourself…

There are used guitars to be found on eBay and other used outlets (the internet is your friend). But then you will not likely be able to play them, and they do not sound the same (even two of the same model made the same day one right after the other).

For 40 years I taught guitar to people who knew way less than I do, and it paid for many guitars and paid bills for those 40 years. I got to work at home, and made many new friends…just a thought.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-21-2022, 03:45 PM

Default 314 ce

It is my go to guitar. I tried at least 15 guitars when I was shopping in 2015. I could barely tune a guitar with an electronic tuner, when I was shopping. I ended up with a 314ce with Gold tuners. and 1-7/8 fretboard to accommodate my larger hands. The 314 ce construction is as good as anything coming out of Taylor. The solid wood is not the latest, rarest, hip wood on the planet, but the moment you strum your first G chord on it you will be hooked. I have had multiple proficient guitar players try mine and said 'that's a sweet guitar'. Taylor had the road shows back then. To hear those guys play really sold me on Taylors. Since I was a true novice I needed salespeople to play the different guitars and I would listen.
Just last night I was trying to work thru a new song for me. All along the watchtower by Bob Dylan. The guitar sounded beautiful to me. Music is a wonderful thing get on the bandwagon as soon as you can. The instrument is just a tool to express yourself. I'm happy with mine!

Here is a Taylor not sure which model. For a strumming example
https://youtu.be/vnJiHJcUnhE
Gabriella Quevedo also uses Taylors on occasion it will expose you to finger picking from a master.
Enjoy every minute!
John
Old 12-21-2022, 03:54 PM

First off-Welcome to the forum and to the guitar!!! I don't know your circumstances other than what you outlined above (obviously). A while back I had a 312ce that was just about all the guitar I would ever need. I had an injury and sold it, but that was the only reason. That being said there are a lot of good less expensive guitars that could get you started if budget is a concern. If not go for the 314 and enjoy the heck out of it. That's my 2¢ and I'm sticking with it!

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 12-21-2022, 05:02 PM

MSRP for a new 314ce is $2200. You may be able to get up to about 15% off that but I wouldn’t expect to get more off anywhere, and you might have to go mail order to get that or wait for the next big holiday sale at Guitar Center or something like that. Looks like on reverb right now you can get a new one for about 10% off, and you’d probably get about the same discount if you call up sweetwater or any other large retailer

Used, a decent price for a 314ce guitar in good shape is around 70% of MSRP, and you probably will never see one for less than about 60% of MSRP. You might have to shop around a bit or wait to find one at that price

Hopefully that lets you judge if the one you’re eyeing is reasonably priced for what it is

If you decide it’s more than you can or should spend, other Taylors which will be similar size and playability are

114ce - MSRP $1000
214ce - MSRP $1100

They will have layered sides/back instead of solid wood like the 314 you’re eyeing, so some tonal difference, but they’ll give you the same feel in terms of neck, body size, shape, etc

They’re not common but one other possible cost saver: you may find variants of the 114/214/314 without the c (cutaway) and / or e (electronics). Those without would be slightly cheaper than the equivalent variant with, and you probably don’t need either. Most Taylors are built as ce though so you’d have to shop a bit to get one without
Old 12-21-2022, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Default GA3

Mountain Momma:

PM sent!

Deb
Old 12-21-2022, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

I would also consider a Taylor 214 from the 2003-2006 era when they were solid wood. Same size and woods as the 314ce but no cutaway or electronics. There is a nice one on Reverb now for $750.

Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
taylor, tmi, tmoo