The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-04-2022, 02:28 PM

Default T rex soulmate to PA - Do I need a mixer?

Hi!

My current rig is:

Taylor 214ceK - Yamaha mg10xu - Bose L1 compact

I've decided to add a t rex soulmate into the mix and I am happy with the sound HOWEVER I have a few questions.

Normally I run my mic and guitar through the mixer. Would it be necessary to run the guitar and pedal into the mixer anymore or just straight to the PA?

And if I do then do I need to just have all EQ on the mixer at 12 o'clock and the gain right down? I'm not sure how this sort of thing works with having the gain/EQ control on the pedal and also the mixer.

I appreciate some people will just say they don't like Bose or would do something else and buy something different but basically this is what I have and am just after some advice on what I have.

Cheers!
Old 10-05-2022, 12:46 AM

You can plug the Soulmate directly into the Bose or any other powered speaker if you don’t want additional eq or effects from the mixer for your guitar.
You can plug the mic into the other channel of the Bose, but that’s a bit boring since the Bose has just a very basic eq eq and no effects. Something like a TC Mic Mechanic would be nice in between.

You can plug both the guitar and the mic into the mixer and go to the Bose from there. Press the PFL button (pre fade listening) on the channel where you plug in the Soulmate and watch the LED chain while you turn up the gain. Or don’t press PFL, watch the peak LED close to the channel fader and take care that it only flashes at the highest peaks.

Of course you still can use the eq and the effect of the mixer if you want.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 10-05-2022, 05:25 PM

Cheers mate!
Old 10-12-2022, 07:58 AM

No need for the mixer unless you need extra channels or any effects that the mixer provides. Personally I never understand when I see solo guys with a mixer. Most powered speakers or line array systems nowadays have plenty of channels so why lug an extra piece of gear around?
Old 10-12-2022, 01:57 PM

Yes Jack, but that means you are using a mixer, just a built in one.
I think voices gain a lot from eq, compression and just little reverb/delay.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...

Last edited by Peter Z; 10-12-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:22 PM

Yep, never been to any concert or heard any recording with no effects, lol.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 10-12-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Yes Jack, but that means you are using a mixer, just a built in one.
I think voices gain a lot from eq, compression and just little reverb/delay.
I agree, that's why I use my little TC Helicon Harmony GXT pedal.

I'm taking about solo guys that carry around a big dedicated mixing board.
Not sure why you would need that when you only need one or 2 channels?

Last edited by JackB1; 10-13-2022 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:35 PM

The G-XT is nice, I have one too. But I have a tiny digital mixer as well that runs nicely on (or off?) a power bank. That’s also a cute option if you need more channels and flexibility. We are living good times - when it comes to gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 472F3EF1-6EE1-47F4-ADB4-3356C82B093E.jpeg (20.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 10-13-2022, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

My EAE Gigmix does a great job in front of my Bose S1 Pro and it’s about the size of a small preamp. Actually with it I don’t need a preamp for my guitar. The effects are impressive too.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-20-2022, 10:29 PM

Just for a little update on this I went for the TRex Soulmate Acoustic and have to say Its the happiest I've been with my sound! I'll possibly look at a vocal effect pedal in the future just for slight reverb. But to be honest I was worried about this and actually even the vocals I have more clarity and am more happy with without the mixer! I think I'd mess about too much with eq and worry too much and to strip it back has been helpful! Haha

Thanks for all the replies
Old 10-21-2022, 12:10 AM

Congrats!
I think the Soulmate is the only analog style and simple to use acoustic preamp that includes all basic features in one box:
preamp
semi parametric eq
compressor
modulation
delay
reverb
boost
tap

Most others are missing one feature or let you select either delay or modulation. Just a battery is missing but there are simple workarounds.

In case you consider a vocal pedal, try something with a compressor. Many players think, it’s not needed, while I’m convinced, compression is essential for many singers who play guitar.
We usually are not that trained in mic technique and have to focus on two things in the same time what results in a very uneven vocal sound. Compression helps a lot with getting a full consistent sound while still leaving a huge playground for dynamics.
At least try compression out before deciding for a pedal.

You will have fun with your Soulmate!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
bose, pedal, soulmate, trex