The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2022, 09:09 PM

Default Giannini Modelo Abreu: a story.

In philosophy 101, students are asked: are all swans white? If you know the reason for such question, read on.

I own a Giannini classical: modelo Abreu. Not all swans are white.

The comments posted by others at this site, stem from perception, not fact. Not all Giannini guitars are made from laminated woods. The Giannini history must be considered, plus the history of rosewood and other factors.

The founder, Tranquillo Giannini, built his reputation on his excellent guitars, long ago. His customers were the Brasilians. He used solid woods. Starting about 1970, Americans came to Brasil and advised T he could make a lot of money by constructing cheaper guitars for the US market, and by focussing upon steel string guitars. With his expanding family needs, T bought the story. After his death, his sons took over and expanded the commercial operations. But this caused the brand to degrade, even in Brasil, so the family decided to ensure some guitars would be hand-made with solid woods, like T did prior. Though the guitars would be made in the factory, they were, in fact, hand-made with solid woods. To differentiate the models, the top-of-line guitars received the Tranquillo labels.

Then in the 1970s, from Brasil, a pair of brothers made their mark upon the music word: the Abreu brothers: Sergio and Eduardo. Please research their story. The brothers stopped performing soon after reaching fame. Eduardo went on to academic studies with distinction, and Sergio remained in music. While performing, Sergio performed on a Hauser 1, on loan. After performing, Sergio turned his hand, starting ca 1980, to building guitars, as he wanted to build the Brasilian Hauser. Guess where Sergio got his start? yup, Giannini.

I met Sergio, once. He told me he learned how to craft guitars via the Giannini factory. From about 1980-85, he collaborated with the factory while he branched out on his own. The Abreu-made guitars in Sergio's early years were good, but not on par with the greats of Hauser or Ramirez: still they sold well, and at high prices (in those days). Concurrently, he made a deal with Giannini; he would guide the design, the woods selections, setup, etc for guitars made in the factory, and these would bear his Abreu name on the Giannini label.

Then came the ban on rosewood: for export, not for domestic guitars. Up to about 1985, made-in-Brasil guitars for domestic market received rosewood, but in very, very limited quantities. Gone were the days of mass production and exports. After 1985, the ban was extended and policed in Brasil, too.

Thus was born a special guitar during the years 1980-85. Giannini created a special label: Giannini, Tranquillo series, modelo Abreu. The modelo Abreu is made with solid Brasilian Jaqaranda sides and back; solid Spruce top, from the Alps; solid Brasilian Mahogany neck. Only 12 modelo Abreu guitars were made each year, 1980-85.

I bought my guitar factory-direct via one of Abreu's advanced students (I could not buy direct by myself). Abreu himself: made the soundboard; placed the bracings; marked the fret positions; tuned the setup; and trialled the guitar. This trial service was part of Abreu's deal with Giannini: Abreu would not allow an inferior guitar to leave the factory if his name was branded. I met Sergio at the factory. My guitar has a few flaws: but the sound and playability passed Sergio's strict standards. I regret I could not ask Sergio to autograph my guitar, then: permanent markers were not invented then.

That was back in 1985. My guitar is among the very last of the modelo Abreu guitars by Giannini (even maybe the last one). Since then, I have not seen nor heard of another person owning a modelo Abreu. After 1985, Sergio went on to produce his own exclusive guitars. Today, an Abreu guitar is ranked among the finest.

My guitar has some of the most beautiful woods I have ever seen for a guitar. The sound is sweet with sustain; unlike the percussive, metallic sound of Spanish guitars.The intonation is very good. The woods are nearly extinct now. I doubt I will ever hear a similar sound. I have kept this guitar in as pristine condition as I can. Sadly, the finish has superficial cracking, but the woods are all intact. I am taking this guitar to my grave, which I hope will be yet a long while from now.

Sadly, too, Giannini no longer makes guitars to the standard of modelo Abreu.

More sad, I can no longer play due to bone disease.

If anybody wants to hear a genuine Sergio Abreu guitar played by a true master, please follow this link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuF-AVKJ8nY

Last edited by grune; 01-13-2024 at 08:39 PM. Reason: new content
Old 09-19-2022, 09:21 PM

Beautiful. Both the guitar and the playing.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:24 PM

Thanks for your post.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-19-2022, 11:55 PM

Can we have some pictures of your guitar?
Camera and
Guitar
Old 09-20-2022, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Grube, welcome to the forum and thank you for this homage to the Abreu guitar. I hope we’ll hear more from you.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 01-13-2024, 08:42 PM

Default photos of Modelo Abreu

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststarted View Post
Can we have some pictures of your guitar?
I do not know how to add photos to posts. Could someone guide me ?
Old 01-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grune View Post
I do not know how to add photos to posts. Could someone guide me ?
Great story about this fine guitar, but sad to read that you can no longer play.

As a registered user, you can use a third party host (for example I use imgur) or the AGF app to load photos. See this thread for more details.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:48 PM

I had a solid Brw Giannini up until about 16 years ago. It was beat up but not destroyed. It was a wall-hanger to me, but a player from Bend, OR noticed I had it and bought it from me with the intent to restore it. It had a beautiful back/sides set on it. It was a Tranquillo.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I have a Giannini classical as well. I believe mine is from the 70’s. I have found it very difficult to find information on it. It is a nice guitar. I believe the back and sides are BRW.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:07 AM

Default Giannini Distribution Center in New York

About 10 years ago, I came upon pictures of the Giannini Craviola.
Here is a link for an example of a steel string Craviola model, they were also made with nylon strings : https://www.giannini.com.br/en/produ...cra36s-ceq-ns/

I was curious about it and I found a distribution center in Deer Park, on Long Island, here in New York.

The people at this facility were all very friendly. They set me up in a room and were happy to show me instruments, giving me as much time as I wanted to play them.

That is the only place I ever saw a Giannini. I don't think that facility is there anymore.

Last edited by MikeB1; 04-07-2024 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
About 10 years ago, I came upon pictures of the Giannini Craviola.
Here is a link for an example of a steel string Craviola model, they were also made with nylon strings : https://www.giannini.com.br/en/produ...cra36s-ceq-ns/

I was curious about it and I found a distribution center in Deer Park, on Long Island, here in New York.

The people at this facility were all very friendly. They set me up in a room and were happy to show me instruments, giving me as much time as I wanted to play them.

That is the only place I ever saw a Giannini. I don't think that facility is there anymore.
The label inside my Giannini states “Tranquillo Giannini, Carlos Weber, Sau Paulo, Brazil”, and, “in the United States, Merson musical products, Westbury, New York”.

So it appears they have a pretty long history with NY. I have no idea if the NY based Merson musical products was an importer, but that would be my guess, based on the bit of info printed on the label.

I’ve learned more about the guitar from the label than anything else. It has been difficult to find any information about the Giannini line. I don’t care about the value. I just enjoy the history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4531.jpg (23.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-07-2024, 11:35 AM

Default Giannini Web Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I’ve learned more about the guitar from the label than anything else. It has been difficult to find any information about the Giannini line. I don’t care about the value. I just enjoy the history.
They do have a website in Portuguese that translates to English:
https://www.giannini.com.br/en/

I found a Menu in the upper right corner of the home page that has some links, such as: Who We Are, International Representatives, and a "Contact Us" form.

Maybe you can find some information there about your instrument.

Good Luck
Old 04-07-2024, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
They do have a website in Portuguese that translates to English:
https://www.giannini.com.br/en/

I found a Menu in the upper right corner of the home page that has some links, such as: Who We Are, International Representatives, and a "Contact Us" form.

Maybe you can find some information there about your instrument.

Good Luck
Thanks! This is great…I already learned that Carlos Weber (printed on the label) is the street name of where Giannini relocated to in Sau Paulo, 1970. All in English too. Very helpful. I don’t speak Portuguese, and very limited Spanish.

They are still around and apparently doing well. They are a 120 year old company, and still owned by the same family. Good stuff.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grune View Post

If anybody wants to hear a genuine Sergio Abreu guitar played by a true master, please follow this link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuF-AVKJ8nY
That piece, the playing, and the guitar -are all exquisite! thanks for sharing this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
abreu, brasil, classical guitar, giannini