The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-13-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I’m very sorry to hear of your brother’s passing webdesigner. You have every reason to have the best repair possible done on your guitar. In a way I feel you would be honoring your late brother’s memory. It will obviously be with you for the long haul so the monetary issue really shouldn’t play into your decision.

I agree with letting Larrivee know the history of the guitar, if you haven’t already. I’ve repaired some shotguns with similar family histories. Not that they wouldn’t always do their best work, but it gives the repairer another reason to shoot for perfection or a close as possible. Being aware of the emotional value of the piece gives the craftsman another level of satisfaction in the finished job.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
If you’re in Summit, I would consider taking your guitar to someone like Tom Crandall in Manhattan. It will be interesting to see what Larrivée says.
I sent him an email. He got back to me and wrote he is unable to take on any new work due to his exceptionally long repair queue.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
Thanks! I just sent the repair guy a message to ask if his work will be reversible.

He has a very good reputation.

Edit: I just asked the repair person if the cleats will be reversable. He answered that they cleats will not be removable nor would they need to be for cosmetic work.

I guess the important point is that your repairer isn't planning a repair which might make cosmetic repair possible. If he knows you might want further work done later, when you find the right person and can afford it, that should be fine.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

So sorry to hear about the passing of your brother. Given the importance of this guitar, I think it needs the best possible repair job. If you're in New York, you should consider TJ Thompson. He probably has an interminable repair cue as well, but I've heard great things about his workmanship.
Old 09-13-2022, 02:11 PM

There are few who can do this job and make it look like it never happened and they rightfully charge a premium. I've been doing this work for 25 years now and I still cannot get something like that perfect. Having the missing pieces helps a lot though. If they fit together well then hide glue would be an optimal choice then fill and finish with Glue-Boost and polish it out. I also would not use a cleat on a repair like this but rather a backing made of very thin mahogany 'tape'. But anything like that could be removed in the future. You just have to reach in there with a finger plane and scraper and remove it.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

I'm very sorry for the loss of your brother to this terrible virus. I hope that you're able to get it sufficiently repaired, even if it's not perfect.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBee View Post
So sorry to hear about the passing of your brother. Given the importance of this guitar, I think it needs the best possible repair job. If you're in New York, you should consider TJ Thompson. He probably has an interminable repair cue as well, but I've heard great things about his workmanship.
Pretty sure TJ Thompson’s shop is outside of Boston (Maynard, MA).
Old 09-13-2022, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

If it were my guitar I would DIY it. If you've ever fixed a hole in drywall it would be basically the same procedure. Glue a backing plate in the interior behind the hole and then fill the hole with your choice of filler material. It won't look like new but it will still function as well as it always did and the cost will be zero. It's just a guitar, there are millions of others and they are making more all the time.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:00 AM

I think if OP felt comfortable making a DIY repair we'd never have seen the question. My take is that OP wants the damage to disappear. And learning a difficult skill by practicing on an heirloom - - - I wouldn't do it.

(Anybody ever seen that Disney cartoon 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice'?)
Old 09-14-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
If it were my guitar I would DIY it. If you've ever fixed a hole in drywall it would be basically the same procedure. Glue a backing plate in the interior behind the hole and then fill the hole with your choice of filler material. It won't look like new but it will still function as well as it always did and the cost will be zero. It's just a guitar, there are millions of others and they are making more all the time.
My thinking as well. I've no doubt a capable artist could copy and extend the existing Koa flame appearance almost exactly. The trick would be what type of material to draw it on that could handle a light coat of clear finish without disturbing the pencil . . .

Last edited by jpmist; 09-20-2022 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
Clearly you haven't read the OP's posts about the guitar and what it means to him. There are millions of other guitars but this one has particular value to the OP that cannot be measured in mere dollars. Hopefully he gets it done right and has and enjoys this guitar for many years to come.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:42 AM

The cleat has been installed and clamped. The Luthier is going to leave it in for the weekend.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vZvZqxc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, crack, larrivee, repair