The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2022, 10:10 AM

I really like the Martin Jr or Martin Jr-10 and Martin Jr. 000 CE.....24" scale, all solid wood, 1 3/4 inch nut width. You can get one used for around $400 or new for a bit more.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:39 AM

Just to summarize: the geometries that seem crucial are: scale length, fingerboard width and radius, and neck profile. Body size may or may not matter, depending on the player's other physical traits.

But there's also the matter of technique. I'm not sure how big her hands are, but Muriel Anderson is quite petite and also a formidable player. FWIW, here's an old Reverb for-sale of a guitar custom-made for her. Note the dimensions.

https://reverb.com/item/185844-custo...model-s-101-sp

And in this fairly recent video of her playing with TE, note how big her guitar looks on her. And I don't see any left-hand thumb-overs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sfCt1pepFY
Old 07-20-2022, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Hey Knarlytree. As a wee man w/small hands I can honestly say that I have walked the path that you are on. As has been previously stated here… scale length, nut width, neck profile, as well as body size, all contribute to how comfortable the guitar is for you to play. I, personally, have been able to adjust/adapt to different nut widths and neck profiles easily. Body shape has more to do with your overall size and playing style… and in my case, shoulder pain! Scale length is the one that I feel is most noticeable for small handed (or short fingered) people… so I would continue down that path. I am most familiar with Taylors (the Academy, the 12 series, the GS Mini and the GT all have shorter scales). Gibsons,also, are usually shorter scale. Hope this helps.
FWIW - I have an almost new Taylor GTe listed here in the AGF Classifieds that could work for you. The body (lower bout) is just a touch too width for my shoulder pain.

Last edited by guzzijeff; 07-20-2022 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Wording
Old 07-20-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knarlytree View Post
Hi there,

I used to play a fair bit in my late teens but fell out of practice when I graduated high school. I'm looking for a guitar that would be somewhat easier to play than my Dad's (the one I used to use) as I have very small hands. I've been doing some reading and it seems that I need to look for a shorter scale length. I do however want to be sure that it sounds pleasant too, any recommendations?
Without knowing what your dad's guitar was, it is hard to make a good recommendation. If you don't know that, then how tall are you and/or what is your arm length. Second, spread your hand as wide as you can and measure from thumb tip to the tip of your pinkie finger.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Hi there,

I used to play a fair bit in my late teens but fell out of practice when I graduated high school. I'm looking for a guitar that would be somewhat easier to play than my Dad's (the one I used to use) as I have very small hands. I've been doing some reading and it seems that I need to look for a shorter scale length. I do however want to be sure that it sounds pleasant too, any recommendations?
Good to see you are interested in playing again. As a general comment I would not worry too much about hand size. My hands are also small and my guitar teacher, a man named Dave Brumble, had the smallest hands I have ever seen on an adult male. He worked for years as a studio guitarist for MGM. It is about technique, esp. thumb placement, and practice. My acoustics run from 43mm to 47mm, for a 12 string.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 07-20-2022, 07:59 PM

Check out the Avian Skylark 2A with the unusual holes in the front. It is the easiest guitar to play in my collection (which is . . . embarrassingly large) and sounds great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIIn-XZ82wc&t=1009s

You can't hear this in the video, but the unusual sound holes make it much easier for the player to hear.

I can't recommend Eastman. I have tried their whole line and find their acoustics quite disappointing. (I have two of their electrics which I like so I think I am openminded on the brand.)

The Martin DXAE I have sounds good but is hard to play compared to the Avian, so I understand where you are coming from.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:46 PM

Recommendations for affordable quality acoustic.(Small hands)

Quote:
Hi there,

First off, do you mean small hands or short fingers or both?

Nut width is less important than short scale. This is a significant change in ease of play and also in tension and sound.

My Taylor 412e-R spruce over rosewood short scale Grand Concert has helped a lot with a couple of "bout's" of fretting hand issues. Only guitar I could play at those times. It has a 1+3/4" nut width and a smallish body at 15" lower bout width. The rest of my six string guitars have either 1+3/4" nut widths (the Taylors) or 1+11/16" nut widths (the others). Nut width doesn't make much of a difference to me for ease of play.

I did not address how the guitar 'feels', which is the most important thing and also the most personal and can only be determined by the player.

I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 07-20-2022 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:54 AM

Not knowing your budget, there are a few options. First of all, you'll never go wrong with a Yamaha.

After that, there is the Guild Jumbo Junior (available in both Maple or Mahogany), Martin Jr. or perhaps a Taylor GS Mini, just to name a few.

Any of those would more than likely do the trick. Happy shopping!
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 07-22-2022, 12:25 PM

Since we're getting into the details of measurements, I have a related question.

My acoustics have a 43 mm (1 11/16") nut. I would like to try the next size up, ideally by finding the right cheap-O used guitar.

Can y'all suggest any fairly easy to find and inexpensive guitars that have a wider nut? Body size isn't too important.

If I can find some candidates, I'll just keep them in mind as I browse used ads. I might get lucky and find another $50 guitar, you never know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
affordable, scale length, short scale, small hands