The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2022, 05:54 PM

I've been playing /practicing dedicated for about 4 or 5 years now. I've always heard about the independent thumb deal, but just recently it's been a thing for me.

Yea I can play songs with alternating base lines, but I can't play those baselines like Dave Hamburger can.
I just came to the conclusion that I have to 'hear' the baseline in my own ears, the same way I can hear it standing out when Hamburger plays.

I'm working on a song now, 'Oval Room' by Blaze Foley. It's got a 3 string alternating base and some cool syncopation on the melody line.
It's not very difficult at all to get under your fingers, if you've got some experience with alternating base, but.. And this is the big but.
I want to hear the baseline throughout the song. That's the hard part. I am constantly losing the ability to hear the 2 and 4 beat to whatever is going on with the syncopated melody.

I'm convinced that if I can play that song and hear the baseline deep within, that my playing will go to another level.

In order to really have that groove, I think you have to be able to hear the base as if it's on an isolated track or something.

Sorry this took so long to describe. I'm thinking it may be of value here.
Breedlove Oregon Concertina Sitka/Myrtlewood
Old 05-20-2022, 06:16 AM

Stefan Grossmann edited a bunch of tab books.

One is devoted to Mississippi John Hurt
and at least another one to Reverend Gary Davis.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

I began ZOOM lessons about 10 months ago with a focus on blues (Piedmont, etc) and Americana. The concept of an "independent thumb" was totally new to me. My teacher started me out on Libba Cotton's Freight Train, a tune that is the first stepping stone in many a fingerstylist's journey. First I learned the straight version, and then the syncopated one. I highly recommend this for you, not only as a technical exercise, but to begin to build a repertoire. It is one of those, you really need to know tunes.

Another tune witha good alternating bass that is relatively accessable, and of a different variety, is Dave Van Ronk's classic, Green Green Rocky Road. It is drop D, which makes it a good one to know for variety. Again, a great resume stuffer.

There are all kinds of on-line tutorials for both songs, including recordings of Ms. Cotton doing her tune (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUK8...l=BonzoTurrell). Just do not try to emulate her two finger/upside down guitar style, unless you want to do the deep dive.

I also recommend Dave Hamburger's vids. One thing you will find, is that he talks. A lot. And I really like it. He dissects the structure of the music and technique, which resonates with me. He has a lot of free content on line.
You got some great suggestions in this thread - some of which I am going to poach.
David
Old 05-20-2022, 01:01 PM

I started with Mississippi John Hurt . Stagger Lee and Candycane Man as well as Candyman. I never could have figured them out but I discovered Baxter's Finger Picking Blues and Ragtime Manual. It had tablature as well as music. Even the book would not have been enough but I also got records with John Hurt playing these songs. The recordings give you the feeling of how John Hurt played with his syncopation and driving thumb work.

I don't know if the book is still in print but I doubt it. I have seen old copies on Ebay for sale. It is a treasure.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:18 PM

You would be hard pressed to find any blues player who did/does not use their thumb to keep time and establish rhythm. But it did vary regionally. I might, however, suggest starting off with the dead thumb style of Mance Lipscomb or Black Ace where they played four beats to the measure on one string. Then move on to the alternating bass style of say a Mississippi John Hurt then the "Da-dump" thumb slip of Blind Blake onto the utility thumb style of the Delta players who were concerned less with patterns but placed bass notes where they felt they were needed within melodic guitar figures, and so on and so on.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:20 AM

Some excellent suggestions already, I've bookmarked this thread.
I'd add Toby Walker, he has a bunch of excellent video's available. His blues foundation course is a good place to start.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:03 PM

I also watch a lot of David Hamburger's videos and have learned a lot from him. The first song that I worked on that really helped my get the thumb and other fingers to work independently was Green Green Rocky Road. There's a good video of Dave Van Ronk teaching it. This one is in Drop D and a fun song to play once you get the hang of it.

In addition to fingerstyle blues songs, I also spent some time working on fingerstyle versions of John Prine, James Taylor and some other basic classics. The more time you can spend playing with your fingers, the quicker it will become second nature.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blues, fingerstyle, thumb