The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 02:42 PM

Default Fundamental Fingerstyle Blues Songs to Free the Thumb

Hi all,

New to the forum here. Would love to get some thoughts on a few classic blues tunes that are great for working on thumb independence. Not too technical or tricky, but more like a groove meditation that doubles as a song to play for friends.

Apologies if I am retreading well-traveled ground here, but greatly appreciate suggestions anyone can offer. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2022, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Most anything by John Hurt will get your thumb going in an alternating bass with some syncopation on the top. I would start with My Creole Belle.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:31 PM

My favorite. Thumbed bass with palm damping, thumbed bass no damping, and an independent melody line.

Learning the bends so you can play it like Daddy S is time well spent. And the song's a real classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE9wHPtG44A&loop=0

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 05-18-2022, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

not necessarily blues, but zeppelins Going to California is helping me.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

I suggest you experiment with the Dropped D tuning (DADGBE). Many classic blues songs are in this tuning. One of my favorites is Willie McTells' Statesboro Blues. A 12 bar blues in D is comprised of 3 chords : D maj, G maj, and A maj.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Stefan Grossman's Mississippi Blues.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-19-2022, 04:03 AM

Check out a guy named David Hamburger. He is a great blues performer and an excellent teacher, he has alot of great lessons out on the web.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:36 AM

Thanks everyone for the very helpful responses -- exactly the direction I needed to get going. Much appreciated. -Dan
Old 05-19-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Check out a guy named David Hamburger. He is a great blues performer and an excellent teacher, he has alot of great lessons out on the web.
What he said.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:09 AM

You should check out David Hamburger’s Fingerstyle Five membership. The whole focus is on learning on Fingerstyle blues arrangement a month and he is very focused on the thumb.

https://www.fretboardconfidential.com/
Old 05-19-2022, 11:13 AM

I suppose it depends on what's meant by "thumb independence." Most blues/fingerpicking styles are based on a regular thumb pattern in the bass against which the fingers play the treble part, which is where the syncopation happens.

My recollection is that the first skill to acquire is what Pat Donohue calls making your thumb go back and forth--which might progress from monotonic (four beats on the 6th string) to alternating between the 6th and 4th or 6th and 5th. Once those patterns are established and automatic, it's possible to start to run variations that go beyond basic alternating 4/4--walking, simple runs, waltzes, bossa nova/samba ("Girl from Ipanema," "Blue Bossa," "Manha de Carnaval").

What I recall is how the thumb-fingers work to produce whatever the groove is--and that one piece of fingerstyle advice I got long ago was "either you pinch or you don't." Somewhere in there, my fingers figured out how to produce syncopation mainly by where the fingers put their notes, while the thumb remains on the beat--though I also find myself delaying that a bit on turnarounds. I don't know quite how I do it--my hands and ears sometimes operate without direct supervision of my conscious mind.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:47 PM

Others have talked about David. Here is a good place to start with him https://youtu.be/0l3JnMLUObk
G&L S500
Old 05-19-2022, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Google Tom Feldman CountryBluesguitar.com
Old 05-19-2022, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLetson View Post
I suppose it depends on what's meant by "thumb independence." Most blues/fingerpicking styles are based on a regular thumb pattern in the bass against which the fingers play the treble part, which is where the syncopation happens.

My recollection is that the first skill to acquire is what Pat Donohue calls making your thumb go back and forth--which might progress from monotonic (four beats on the 6th string) to alternating between the 6th and 4th or 6th and 5th. Once those patterns are established and automatic, it's possible to start to run variations that go beyond basic alternating 4/4--walking, simple runs, waltzes, bossa nova/samba ("Girl from Ipanema," "Blue Bossa," "Manha de Carnaval").

What I recall is how the thumb-fingers work to produce whatever the groove is--and that one piece of fingerstyle advice I got long ago was "either you pinch or you don't." Somewhere in there, my fingers figured out how to produce syncopation mainly by where the fingers put their notes, while the thumb remains on the beat--though I also find myself delaying that a bit on turnarounds. I don't know quite how I do it--my hands and ears sometimes operate without direct supervision of my conscious mind.
I whole heartedly agree. The first challenge is to establish a steady 4/4 bass with your thumb. The second is to fit in some melody notes over the bass using your other fingers. The third and final is to play syncopated bass lines ie. play bass notes on the on and the off beat while playing 'lead' with your other fingers. Arthur 'Blind' Blake was a master at syncopated bass lines. Check out Mason Williams' Classical Gas for a more modern example. Warning: for most people (myself included ), it takes mucho practice.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:09 PM

Yes, it can take a long time..

Meanwhile, to keep you interested, sites like Stefan Grossman Guitar Workshop have enough material to keep you going for about 450 years!

Like most things, it is best to start at the beginning! Here is Stefan's "The Learning Process" to read through:

See you in 200 years! Glad I have done a lot of that stuff.......and Mississippi Blues by Stefan in the video earlier may take a week or two......

https://www.guitarvideos.com/the-learning-process

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 05-19-2022 at 05:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blues, fingerstyle, thumb