The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2021, 03:26 PM

The reason to go with a 12 fret guitar is sound. The difference between a 12 and 14 fret guitar whether short or long scale guitar is in the bracing footprint and bridge position. When Gibson went from 12 to 14 frets they did not alter the body so moved both the bracing and bridge. When Martin made the shift they shortened the upper bout leaving the bridge and bracing alone. Maybe they put a bit more magic dust on the 12th fret. Think of the difference between a 12 and 14 fret guitar though as the difference between hitting a snare drum dead center as opposed to off to the side nearer the rim.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:55 PM

I like all the suggestions you have got so far on strings, short scale, neck shape, 12 fret and importance of set up and especially the nutslots and width.

I would also include you find a good doc that might do some imaging to see what is happening and maybe a referral to appropriate doc or PT, OT or hand ortho doc or rheumatologist.

I think many people just chalk up arthritis to aging and think that is end of story. But now might be good time to find a good medical team that can help you minimize pain and future damage or figure out it might be a medical issue that could be treated with meds of some therapy.

I have pretty severe OA and rheumatoid arthritis and it hit me real hard about 16-17 years ago when the RA went nuts. Long story, where I had to quit guitar for 10 years due to nerve pain till I finally got on right meds, found good PT and OT and med team. Then I had some time after a knee replacement Nov 2016 and decided I wanted my music back so I started back with banjo, then electric guitar and then ex light gauge acoustic and eventually back to 12's and gigging again. I changed my whole style and now play mostly fingerstyle and partial chords and think I play better than I have ever played, so happy ending, except I will likely never play another full E shaped bar chord again, lol. I figured out out how to transpose a few of my old songs to other keys if if they have chords that are tough, like bar Bm or F, or I figure out another voicing that works.

Not trying to have this about me, but hoping this might help you or others to know not to give it up, but try and figure out how to adapt like you doing now with changing things around with guitar, style and ergonomics. I play a few other instruments and figure there is always slide guitar and harmonica.

AS far as the "perfect" guitar, I think much of this will be personal preference, like neck shapes and widths, but I really like the waterloo wl-k which has 11's on it due to the light build or the WL-S which can do 12's. I like the wide saddle spacing (2 3/8"), size, tone and the neck shape for fingerstyle blues.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:59 AM

I am in the smaller than dread and shorter scale series with 1 3/4 nut width :

- Alvarez AP66ESB, all Mahogany (or Sitka/Mahogany AP70)
- Seagull Performer CW QIT
- Taylor GC or xx2 series
- Gibson L-OO
- Martin OOO-18 (or their GPC series ?)
- Eastman AC122ce (a little bigger, say GA or xx4 in Taylor series)

I once passed by a Gibson Keb'Mo, a L-OO with an even larger nut width.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Yep, as many have said (I didn't read all four pages!) a smaller body, short scale guitar will be perfect for what you need. As another (almost) 60-year-old, (I refer to it as being on the back 9 of life!) I'd like to recommend the RainSong Shorty models. Many styles to choose from and all can be found used for $2,500 or less. In fact, I think there is a like-new Vintage model for sale right now in the AGF Classifieds for around that. You'll get a very comfortable to play guitar that is perfect or travel or playing in any environment.

I just picked up a new Nashville model which is easily the most comfortably guitar I own. Along with the short scale and 12-fret neck join, the body is an OM size with cutaway and also a shallower depth of 4.1" which makes this guitar a joy to play. And the built-in LR Baggs Anthem StagePro system is also excellent. Note you can buy them without pickups for those that don't play. In fact, there's another RainSong Shorty for sale right now in the Classifieds here without a pickup system for under $2k.

One word of caution on the RainSong Shorty's though is the string spacing which is 2 3/16". Since you are an admitted fingerstyle player with big hands, you might find that spacing too tight. Another option if you like the carbon fiber idea is an Emerald X7 custom. You can get them in any string spacing you want and frequently see them in the classifieds for around your price range. In addition to the short scale and smaller body, the bodies also have excellent bevels and contour cuts that further enhance playing comfort.

A smaller body guitar with an arm bevel is extremely comfortable. I think there is a nylon Emerald X10 for sale right now as in the classifieds as well. Nylon strings, shorter scale, small shallow body, wide string spacing might just be your ticket!

Last edited by Methos1979; 07-04-2021 at 08:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, baby-boomer, ooo 18 000 18 vs om 21, short scale, short scale ooo om easy