The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2021, 02:42 PM

Default Gibson J45 - Vintage Vs. Historic

I’m curious if anyone has had a chance to compare vintage series (2017-2019) of J45 with the historic banner series (2020-2021)?

Any thoughts on these would be appreciated!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:11 AM

No, but I compared an actual 1943 Banner Gibson J-45 to both. The new Historic Banner 1942 re-issue came closer, in my opinion. It lacked the complexity of overtones I hear from my actual Banner and the piano-like depth and quality of the low-E string...which is to be expected... but it came closer than the Vintage by a margin. Also worth note is the neck, though huge, was still not as beefy as my actual 1943 haha was a very comfortable fat neck, though! They came close.

The Historic was also a nice playing guitar and had the nicest 'thump' out of a newer Gibson I've heard so far. Was certainly enjoying playing it for about a half hour at the guitar store, but I paid probably $1500 less for my actual Banner....and the Historic wasn't so good I had to frantically rush home and play my Banner to ensure that it sounded better. I knew within the first few strums of the re-issue that as good as it is, it's just a really good new guitar and priced as such. Wouldn't deter anyone who had the cash to pick one up, thought it was just about the best NEW J-45 you can get.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I've never held a Vintage but own a Historic. (I agree with the above that it's a wonderful guitar.)

Talking to people and researching the two, I was able to confirm that, reportedly, the neck on the Vintage is heftier than the neck on the Historic. The Historic neck is a medium full C shape (no V) with minimal taper as you go up the neck. It's not thin like the modern Martin necks, but not enormous. Maybe others here will confirm that the Vintage has a reportedly larger neck girth, by comparison.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson acoustic, historic series, j45, vintage series