The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2020, 10:29 PM

Exclamation Multiscale/fan fret string question

Hello all, just got verified and this is my first post.

I am having a luthier build me a jumbo multiscale/fan fret guitar. The scale length on the bass side will be 670mm(26.3in) and the treble side will be 635mm(25in). I have been looking at what scale lengths determine what type of guitar it is. For example most sources that I have found say that a guitar becomes a baritone when the scale length is 27inches or greater. So my guitar will be right on the verge of that.

So my question is, is my guitar going to be a semi-baritone or just considered a “long scale”. Also, I know typically baritones and most multiscale guitars are better for dropped lower tunings. But would I be able to take it to standard tuning by compensating for smaller gauge strings to relieve the excess tension it would cause with larger gauge strings?
Old 10-07-2020, 12:59 AM

For fan frets, I think about the average scale length, which in your case is very close to 650mm - which is in the normal range for a long scale guitar. Therefore, I wouldn't get hung up over it and would just call it a fan fret or multiscale guitar.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kg1993 View Post

I am having a luthier build me a jumbo multiscale/fan fret guitar. would I be able to take it to standard tuning by compensating for smaller gauge strings to relieve the excess tension it would cause with larger gauge strings?
The person building your guitar is the best person to answer your question...

That being said I can't imagine someone building a 670 - 635 FF that would not do standard tuning... I just sold a Lowden that was 680 - 640 that did standard tuning no problem with 12- 53's.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

Welcome as a poster KG.

I have a baritone that is 27.5 inch scale and it handles B to B tuning comfortably. Sometimes I capo it at the second fret and I guess that is similar to what you will get with your new fan fret.

I like the idea of the scale you are considering and will be very interested to learn what you think of it when it is built.

I don’t know if the name matters, but if you consider it to be between a BARItone and a STAndard then the obvious name is a BARISTA (coffee pun intended)!
Old 10-07-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kg1993 View Post
Hello all, just got verified and this is my first post.

I am having a luthier build me a jumbo multiscale/fan fret guitar. The scale length on the bass side will be 670mm(26.3in) and the treble side will be 635mm(25in). I have been looking at what scale lengths determine what type of guitar it is. For example most sources that I have found say that a guitar becomes a baritone when the scale length is 27inches or greater. So my guitar will be right on the verge of that.

So my question is, is my guitar going to be a semi-baritone or just considered a “long scale”. Also, I know typically baritones and most multiscale guitars are better for dropped lower tunings. But would I be able to take it to standard tuning by compensating for smaller gauge strings to relieve the excess tension it would cause with larger gauge strings?
Hi Kg…

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum!! Glad you jumped in with a question.

My Bashkin OM fanned fret is 25" on the treble side and 25.75" on the bass. It is called a fanned fret, as is yours. It is both slightly short and slightly long scale.

If we call 25.4" or 25.5" NORMAL scale, then it's slightly short-scale on the treble, and slightly long scale on the bass. It is still tuned E to e, which puts it in the standard scale range. It's not a baritone, nor even verging on it. Yours will also be slightly short scale on the treble side, slightly long scale on the bass side, and I'm guessing it will also be tuned E to e (or dropped tunings like DADGAD, CGCGCD etc). And it straddles normal scale on both ends (short/long). It will take standard weights of strings, not baritone strings.

One difference between yours and mine is where the string which is closest to 25.4" or 25.5 " inches falls. On mine, it is the 3rd string - or the open G. I'm guessing on yours, it might be the open B or somewhere between the open B and G. It doesn't really matter. All the intermediate string lengths are determined mathematically how they fall between the outside strings.

Another thing that affects fanned frets is if the fan is evenly split between the nut and the saddle/bridge, and where the perpendicular fret falls. On evenly split fans (most usual), the perpendicular fret falls about fret 8 or 9 which actually is very handy because it splits the neck in the middle so your fretting hand naturally angles the direction of the 'fan' at both ends.

I've seen fans where the entire fan is at the treble end, and only one where it was all at the nut. The ones where the entire fan is at the bridge affect normal fretting the least, and those where the entire fan is at the saddle, affect fretting open chords the most. When it's evenly distributed, it affects normal fretting of standard chords minimally.

The tone effect of the fan on a slightly-short and slightly-long configuration is the bass will sound more pronounced and the treble sweeter and possibly less bright. On mine the top two treble strings are much easier to bend, and they take a finger vibrato or tremolo much easier. The bass is strong but not overbearing.

For it to be considered baritone, and to require tuning in the baritone range, the treble string would need to be in the baritone range somewhere between 27-30 inches (depending on who you talk to).

Hope you enjoy your new guitar…here's a picture of my 2005 Bashkin OM - .75 inch fanned fret, Myrtlewood/Italian Spruce.

Again - welcome to the forum!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 10-07-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:29 AM

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't get tied up with definitions, it's all about what works for you. You could probably use a version of standard maybe starting at D or even C.

Here are some points you may find helpful as your fan fret thoughts progress

Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:06 AM

For a simple answer - no, I don't think it will be considered baritone. It will just be a guitar that handles alternate/drop tunings very well!
Old 10-09-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
For it to be considered baritone, and to require tuning in the baritone range, the treble string would need to be in the baritone range somewhere between 27-30 inches (depending on who you talk to).
I think you meant bass string here, Larry...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I think you meant bass string here, Larry...

Phil
Hi Phil
To clarify…I was thinking of the 'scale' of a baritone starts at 27" and ranges up over 30" so the treble string on a fanned fret could be slightly shorter than normal, and the bass strings would slightly longer than 'normal'. So I did say what I was thinking, but it must not have been as clear/obvious as I thought.

I think the original poster is trying to determine whether his new build is going to be considered based off normal scale, or baritone scale.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fan fret, guage, luthier, multi scale, strings