The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-28-2020, 01:00 PM

Very interesting replies so far! I'm actually heading out to a shop about an hour from me tomorrow to try out my first Goodall. Will be interesting to see what my impressions are as I've only played one and that was for like 5 minutes 10+ years ago when I didn't really know what I was listening for...
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 08-28-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Very interesting replies so far! I'm actually heading out to a shop about an hour from me tomorrow to try out my first Goodall. Will be interesting to see what my impressions are as I've only played one and that was for like 5 minutes 10+ years ago when I didn't really know what I was listening for...
Enjoy! When you’ve played about 10 different ones, you’ll have an idea of what they sound like.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-28-2020, 02:08 PM

Goodalls look and sound gorgeous, but are a bit too rich for my blood both in tone and $$. However, if you do buy one go pick it up in person. The shop is right off Highway 1, just down the road from North Coast brewing and MacKerricher State Park, in a drop-dead gorgeous corner of Northern CA.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Enjoy! When you’ve played about 10 different ones, you’ll have an idea of what they sound like.
Haha won't be able to do that (they only have I think 2 in stock and they're very different body sizes and tonewoods. I just wanted to hear what a koa b/s Goodall grand concert sounds like, since I've heard they really know how to build great instruments with koa. I'm bringing my SCGC OM (adi/EIR) and a Martin 000-18 sitka/sinker hog for comparison.
-Down Home Guitars
Old 08-28-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
Here's my Traditional 000 with Honduran Rosewood and Adirondack. It has the slotted headstock option which means thst it has a wider neck (1 13/16") and a non-adjustable carbon fiber trussrod.
Attachment 43165Attachment 43166Attachment 43167
That’s a gorgeous guitar! If it sounds anywhere near as good as it looks then I know where at least some of the Goodall hype is coming from
Martin D-42
Santa Cruz PJ Braz/Adi
Froggy C Custom
Lowden S-50 Master Honduran Rosewood, Cedar combo

1971 Kohno No:20 Rosewood Classical

Fender Strat ‘59 masterbuilt Paul Waller
Les Paul CS ‘60
Fender Tele CS ‘52
Rickenbacker 330 12
Les Paul Custom ‘57 black beauty
Old 08-28-2020, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I couldn’t find one to play for quite a while. And then I started to find them here and there. I became interested in buying one and began the hunt in earnest. I found a GC Sitka/EIR while traveling on business that really turned me on, so it came home. Over the next year I had the opportunity to purchase a used TROM that was nice, but I didn’t like it as much as the GC and the seller asked if he could buy it back. Return to sender. After gaining experience with the brand I had a good idea of what I would like in a custom build and I ordered a TW000, Adi/Walnut, which I’ve owned for over a year.

My opinion of Goodall guitars is very high. I’ve never seen a guitar with build quality that is better than what James & Luke produce. Each of the guitars I’ve played is different, but there is a signature tone that is deep, rich, and warm with plenty of overtones and sustain. Angelic works. I find the GC is a superb finger style instrument that plays well with a pick and the 000 is equally nice with fingers or a pick. They are both powerhouses that reveal their personality best with a light touch. While they easily handle strumming or flat picking, a heavy hand will mask what makes them different from many other guitars. I find the overtones on the GC are controlled easily once you learn what the instrument provides. The 000 was ordered with walnut to build in some overtone control and this was a great decision for my taste. In summary — superb!

Pictures taken by Goodall prior to shipment.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 08-28-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
While they easily handle strumming or flat picking, a heavy hand will mask what makes them different from many other guitars.
Can you explain further this statement "a heavy hand will mask what makes them different"?
This is very interesting. I have only gotten to play one Goodall for about 5 minutes a couple of years ago. Was very impressed.
I do have a heavy hand, so this is an important factor for myself.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Goodalls are one of my favorite brands, I've owned over 40 of them and I'm compared them to the best of the best from both really famous $30k plus builders to pre war Martins and Gibsons.

For the OP Froggy Bottom is the closest comparison I can think of with Goodall. In my mind both are on the same level. I really enjoy Michael Millards instruments.

All that being said Goodall is known for making an ultra clear and extremely responsive instrument. I prefer them over a lot of the main boutique brands that people talk about.

My favorite Goodall models are the Standard, TRLD, TRD, and CJ.

I have visited the shop in FT Bragg and you can quickly see why their quality is so high when you see the care and effort that gets put into making each instrument sound its best! Really incredible work from a great family!! I can't say enough good about them!!

I've recorded a lot of videos of them if you see the link in my signature.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 08-28-2020, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Can you explain further this statement "a heavy hand will mask what makes them different"?
This is very interesting. I have only gotten to play one Goodall for about 5 minutes a couple of years ago. Was very impressed.
I do have a heavy hand, so this is an important factor for myself.
I find if I strum hard (in particular) they can handle anything I throw at them. But the delicate and nuanced harmonics they are capable of get lost in the rumble, making them sound “Just” like another really nice guitar. I don’t think they are as awe inspiring when pushed in a loud jam. Also, I find very heavy flat picking brings out the overtones some people find excessive.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:08 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I would love to play one. Along with Ryans, Brook, Lakewood, Furch, Lowden. There's a bunch of guitars I would like to get my hands on. I wish there was a guitar club I could join, pay a monthly fee or whatever and get the opportunity to play some great guitars.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-28-2020, 05:27 PM

Maybe I'm weird in thinking this way, but it really seems like Goodalls are tonally very different...which is a good thing. I'm not looking for a "Goodall Sound", I'm looking for a great sounding guitar (I already have several, but it's like supermodel girlfriends...you can never have too many...like I'd know) and if it happens to be a Goodall that's awesome.

I think some of the big manufacturers are going this route too. Taylor's Grand Pacific line seems to be getting lots of praise and are "un-Taylor" like. Martin has re-imagined, and Modern Deluxe'd their line to some fanfare. I can't help but think the small-makers collectively helped to push them in that direction, to try and break their own self-created molds.

Regardless, I don't think there's ever been a better time to be an acoustic guitar player, with so many great builders, big and small, offering such an amazing array of goods!
-Down Home Guitars
Old 08-28-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Haha won't be able to do that (they only have I think 2 in stock and they're very different body sizes and tonewoods. I just wanted to hear what a koa b/s Goodall grand concert sounds like, since I've heard they really know how to build great instruments with koa. I'm bringing my SCGC OM (adi/EIR) and a Martin 000-18 sitka/sinker hog for comparison.
Out of probably 6 Goodall's I've owned and dozens I've played, my #1 was a Grand Concert (cocobolo/spruce). None of the others ever came close enough to unseat it and they were all quickly sold. I attribute it primarily to the Cocobolo and some extra mojo.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-28-2020, 09:21 PM

In mine, I never heard the famous overtone abundance or particularly long sustain. But it's nice, really nice, just right for my money. And the workmanship is easily as good or better than any guitar I have ever owned. (It's a POC/Mahogany jumbo). I bought a slope shoulder Sitka/Mahogany baritone to learn about them while having a baritone custom built by another maker. It was great, better than 95% of its competitors, but it still a tad below the one that replaced it.

I would not have the slightest hesitation to buy another if there was something they had that I was looking for (I'm not looking for anything).

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:26 PM

I’ve been fortunate to have owned several Goodalls over time, only parted ways with them for a change of pace and would be glad to welcome any of them back. A couple standout in my memory, a brazilian/sitka standard and a cocobolo TRD - just enjoyed all they had to offer in the way of tonal qualities.

As I recall, Goodall used to have a very good explanation of how he and and his son voice their tops, a process that emulates the way a top of a drum is connected to its sides under tension. The stressing of the joint where it connects with the sides and then under load of the strings helps create the Goodall overtones that many comment on. Unfortunately, when Luke recreated their website that information was taken down - would sure enjoy reading thru that again. I’m not an engineer, just appreciate the finished product.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Red face Goodall

Simply the most intriguing instruments I've had the opportunity to own. I've only had chance to compare them to Lowdens, Martins, H&D, Santa Cruz, Collings, and Bourgeois, Taylors. Goodall's sustain and overtone content is well known. The thing that stands out the most about them is the 3 dimensional character of sound. They produce layers of sound that I simply have not experienced elsewhere. I play fingerstyle with theses with light to moderate touch. For strumming, I tend to go with Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
america, goodall, luthier, premium