The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2023, 01:01 PM

Default Phosphorous Bronze provide an exceptional acoustic sound

I've had a Godin A6 Ultra for 3 years now, and as much as I like the guitar overall, including the size/shape and hybrid nature of the instrument, I've never been totally happy with the sound I'm getting. I find the sound boomy overall and the A and low E strings are waay too loud and bassy. I've tried to manage from my mixer, and then even bought a Boss Acoustic Preamp (AD10) to help level out the sound but its a never ending chore. New room, different gear...same old problem. I mostly play acoustic style with the piezo pickup.
This past week it was time to change up the strings for a new gig, and I did some research on the impact of different metals in the strings. I ended up trying a set of D'Addario XS acoustic light Phosphor Bronze.
To say the outcome was impressive would be an understatement!!I could not believe how good the guitar sounded...super acoustic tone, no woofy bass tones. Everything was well balanced, warm and rich with a touch of chime.
I read people suggest getting strings that compliment your sound goals versus compromising to get decent acoustic and electric sounds, and I agree 1000%. If you lean to the acoustic side with your Godin A6, give the XS's a try, Ithink you'll be glad you did.
By the way, if you occasionally need some crunch or dirt for a scattered solo on the A6, I found the Fender Smoulder Acoustic OD to be an outstanding pedal that seems to have been build for exactly that purpose...every time I use it my bass player comments on what a great punchy and warm tone it delivers. And at lst nights gig, with the new strings, it was even better!!
Old 03-19-2023, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Budgell View Post
I've had a Godin A6 Ultra for 3 years now, and as much as I like the guitar overall, including the size/shape and hybrid nature of the instrument, I've never been totally happy with the sound I'm getting. I find the sound boomy overall and the A and low E strings are waay too loud and bassy. I've tried to manage from my mixer, and then even bought a Boss Acoustic Preamp (AD10) to help level out the sound but its a never ending chore. New room, different gear...same old problem. I mostly play acoustic style with the piezo pickup.
This past week it was time to change up the strings for a new gig, and I did some research on the impact of different metals in the strings. I ended up trying a set of D'Addario XS acoustic light Phosphor Bronze.
To say the outcome was impressive would be an understatement!!I could not believe how good the guitar sounded...super acoustic tone, no woofy bass tones. Everything was well balanced, warm and rich with a touch of chime.
I read people suggest getting strings that compliment your sound goals versus compromising to get decent acoustic and electric sounds, and I agree 1000%. If you lean to the acoustic side with your Godin A6, give the XS's a try, Ithink you'll be glad you did.
By the way, if you occasionally need some crunch or dirt for a scattered solo on the A6, I found the Fender Smoulder Acoustic OD to be an outstanding pedal that seems to have been build for exactly that purpose...every time I use it my bass player comments on what a great punchy and warm tone it delivers. And at lst nights gig, with the new strings, it was even better!!
Since those are Phosphor, do they work with the magnetic neck pickup?
Old 03-19-2023, 09:10 PM

I’m working a new set of GHS white bronze on a Fender acoustasonic. It’s tough getting a good electric sound from this guitar. It’s early, they’ve only been on for 3 days, but the electric tones seem to be enhanced a bit. They offer 11s, 12s and 13’s

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ghs...ght-11-48.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
godin, hybrid, strings