The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-02-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
If you were told the pickup is fine I honestly wouldn't dwell on it too much. The output from a pickup is not important in the grand scheme of things as long as you like it tonally. The LR Baggs Anthem, which is another popular choice in todays market, also has a really low output for an active system as well. My current favorite pickup, Schatten HFN passive, has a low output as well but that's not going to stop me from using it.
Right. The signals aren't hot but they're buffered for long cable runs and a good outboard DI or preamp/DI combo will do the rest of the work getting the signal up to level. I wouldn't insert a GigPro between the two, that would be overkill, just get a good outboard preamp/DI and you'll be fine.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-02-2019, 12:39 PM

Joe said that output shouldn’t be a problem.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:43 PM

Thanks. So a Para DI seems like the best option from everyone’s comments? I’d thought that the Gigpro was just a more basic version of the Para DI.

Just noticed that the Fishman Platinum Stage is mentioned in a different post. Would this do the job as it's significantly cheaper than the PARA DI in the UK?

Last edited by TheLobster; 08-02-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:16 PM

Hi MrErikJ, when you say good outboard preamp/DI, what kind of thing do you mean? Thanks
Old 08-02-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLobster View Post
Hi MrErikJ, when you say good outboard preamp/DI, what kind of thing do you mean? Thanks
I’m referring to something like the Para DI or GigPro. The GigPro is really intended to drive a low output pickup to a direct box. The Infinity, while quiet, has an onboard preamp that ensures signal quality with long cable runs. Sending that to an outboard preamp/DI like the Para is a perfect combination that should work well for your needs.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-05-2019, 07:57 AM

To update, I played my OM-21 with Fishman Martrix Infinity Mic blend at a gig over the weekend. The sound setup was more complex than normal - an outdoor event.

The good news is that volume wasn't an issue.

The bad news is that the sound guy approached me after I'd finished and suggested that I get my pickup checked as he thought it had a fault! He said that certain frequencies were spiking and that it had taken him three songs to get a decent, consistent sound. He basically took these frequencies out of the mix using computer wizardry! Obviously this wouldn't normally be possible.

He also mentioned that the sound appeared slightly distorted.

Back to the drawing board!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
blend, fishman, martin, matrix, om-21