The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 01:11 AM

Back in 1998 I spent a couple hours playing an OM-03, and OM-09, and and OM-03R.

Definitely preferred the Rosewood over the mahogany. Couldn't really feel the difference on the slightly wider -09 neck, and ended up taking the OM-03R home with me.

Two days later my wife went and bought herself the OM-03

Here is a sound sample of the OM-03, OM-03R, and Rainsong Shorty:

https://soundcloud.com/rocket_song/3...-sound-samples
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-20-2019, 10:11 PM

What kind of pickup system does either guitar have? I have an LSV-11...so not unlike the LV09. Rosewood and Sitka. I play it every week in church and have no issues with sound or clarity. I get that in a side by side test the mahogany may sound drier or clearer, but is it really that big of a deal? If you prefer rosewood, then go for it. All the comments I get about my guitar is that it sounds really great. (And we actually have a bit of a history in my church with rosewood Larrivées!... former lead pastor has an L09. My friend has a C-10. We’ve played all three together in services before). Get what you would prefer to play privately and not just in church.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 07-21-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraclete View Post
What kind of pickup system does either guitar have? I have an LSV-11...so not unlike the LV09. Rosewood and Sitka. I play it every week in church and have no issues with sound or clarity. I get that in a side by side test the mahogany may sound drier or clearer, but is it really that big of a deal? If you prefer rosewood, then go for it. All the comments I get about my guitar is that it sounds really great. (And we actually have a bit of a history in my church with rosewood Larrivées!... former lead pastor has an L09. My friend has a C-10. We’ve played all three together in services before). Get what you would prefer to play privately and not just in church.
This is a great point. Once you plug in, a lot of variables become somewhat moot. Depending on your pickup, your sound system, what instrumentation you play along with, much of the differences between rosewood and mahogany disappear, or get much harder to hear. Pickup choice is huge, who is mixing, how you’re running monitors (in ear vs wedges), etc. I gravitate towards mahogany bc that’s the tone I prefer acoustically, but those nuances do get somewhat lost in a large band. So I’d go with whichever you really like.

Also, if you want a D28, save for a D28. I, like many, have chased tone from different makers, and if a D28 has captured your ears, nothing else will do. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2019, 01:46 PM

I say go with the LV-05E. Rosewood can be too complex when you’re relying on electronics to dial in a plugged in tone. OTOH Rosewood is certainly prettier and sturdier than mahogany and Jean Larrivee himself said he

I’ve had a rosewood OM-03R for about 13 years now and I love it. I believe the question was “which one is better in an EQ setting?” though, and I will confess that while I love the unplugged tone for playing by myself I have had a hard time trying to find the right microphone placement when recording - though it does do well with a K&K Pure Western mini.

When I was looking for a second guitar I originally wanted an L-03 (back when they were Honduran mahogany) but when the time came I didn’t care much for the tone of khaya or sapele and ended up going with mahogany Martin D-16GT instead. I think it fits into the mix a little better; it has more bass (because it’s a dread) and a “drier “ sound with more fundamental.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

My recently acquired, new Larrivee D-40M (Mahogany) is one of the best guitars I've owned and, tone-wise beats out the Larrivee D-40R (Rosewood) that I owned a few years ago. In my experience, Larrivee is synonymous with Mahogany.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-21-2019, 04:17 PM

I own a D-40r and a D-03. Both are wonderful guitars, but each offers it’s own sound. My rosewood is deep, dark and full of overtones. I have to be cautious when choosing strings or the guitar could be overwhelming. My D-03 is sweet and relaxed, but offers a surprising array of overtones for a Mahogany backed guitar...just my personal observations while playing my guitars. You will likely be happy either way.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:34 PM

I use to be a mad Larrivee collector/owner, one of my favourite was my C-05. I found that to sound much, much nicer sounding and lighter than my C-09. Actually most of my guitars were hog.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
larrivee, lv-05, lv-09