The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 02:02 AM

Default Can I negotiate or just pay the listed price?

High all, first post here. I was trying to learn how to shop for a guitar since it has been 14 years since I purchased a guitar and it was my only purchase so really don't remember or know the protocol for pricing. I did a search about the cost of guitars - MSRP vs actual cost and read the posts here on AG forum (dated several years back) that discussed this issue. I learned a bit so was thinking baby steps. I'm getting the gist.

I read that most guitars are often discounted 40% from the MSRP. That sounded like something I remembered from the past so I started looking at the guitars at GC and sweet water and Reverb and some other shops and did some simple conversion in my head trying to think about how much I need to budget for guitars I'd like to consider.

Then later I searched for a guitar on Google search (the guitar in question at the time was the Taylor 322ce and it came up being sold from Amazon and Sweetwater and Taylor list price and I see the price is the same for all three. I know you can negotiate the price from a guitar shop but not from Amazon and certainly not from Taylor, so now I am still back to the original question. I don't have any idea what the actual price it for a 322ce. (that is just an example)

Here is the problem. I know what general kind of guitar I want. I'm looking for a 12 fret parlor style guitar but if I stay with my example of a Taylor -- can I afford a 522ce or do I need to only look at the 322 because that is all I can afford. Can I look at the 712ce? I don't want search for guitars to play that are out of my price range by a lot because my personal finical philosophy is to never buy on credit. I want to be able to afford the guitar I buy and pay cash etc. etc.

I know there is no simple answer but I was hoping for some comments and advice to help me in the first steps of learning how to know what I can afford, and therefore what I should seek out to find and do some test drive playing on.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:44 AM

I always buy used, not abused... but when you buy new, often times GC or Musicians Friend will have coupons...15-20% off in-store/online etc. Some mom and pop stores will match it if you ask them. I hope that answers your question. Good luck in your search!
2007 Yamaha FGX720SCA
2020 Yamaha FG Junior
2002 Taylor Big Baby
Old 03-28-2018, 04:37 AM

I'm not experienced at purchasing multiple new (or used for that matter) instruments, but this is my limited understanding.

As a general rule for factory produced instruments, the manufacturer sets it MSRP, its suggested retail price, which nobody pays unless you buy direct. The manufacturer then sets another MAP, its minimum advertised price, the lowest a dealer is permitted to advertise as a discounted sale price.

Individual dealers will often discount the intrument further, often up to 40% off the original MSRP, determined by what they feel is their minimum profit margin. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that specific manufacturers have an unadvertised minimum sale price, below which dealers are not permitted to go in order to make a sale.

Used guitars are a completely different ball game, dependant and governed by instrument desirability and condition.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 03-28-2018, 04:50 AM

Default Pricing Options

Hello,

My take on the pricing...

The 15-20% off coupons don't usually apply to Taylor or Martin guitars.

Used is a good way to go if you know what to look for in a used guitar.

I've read on these boards before that the Acoustic Guitar Forum sponsors offer better prices than GC or SW or MF if you call them. I'm sure someone else will chime in on that.
Ibanez Talman
Old 03-28-2018, 05:02 AM

Default First post

Pricing can be all over the place. If you have a friend who plays, bring them along.

Build a relationship with the owner if it's a small shop, or the manager if it's a chain. Only deal with them on big ticket items, but don't waste their time if you're not at the point of actually buying.

BTW, there's a nice 522 in the For Sale section,

And..........

Welcome to the forum!
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new

Last edited by Athens; 03-28-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:20 AM

As stated, online mega stores often have "sales" using coupons offering
10-20% off "many" items. You can wait for one of these frequent sales or call the store and ask your sales person if they can give you the 15% now so you "don't have to wait" to buy it. Remember this sale person if they treat you well and always call them when buying anything, never just order "online", call that sales guy. The more commission you throw his way, the more he /she will help you out. I have had very good luck dealing with Sweetwater.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:35 AM

I just bought a Taylor GS Mini at my local GC using a 15% coupon that specifically excludes Taylor products. My experience has been to always get 15% or $200 off (whichever is less). Twice on Taylors and once on a Larrivee. At a local independent shop I went to, he wouldn't come off the price of the (inexpensive) Yamaha I was looking at but knocked 50% off the hardcase.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:40 AM

I only buy used and often well-used. But my wife bought a new Martin D12-28 last year. What cinched the deal was she ended up getting about $500 off the average street price by buying a 2016 guitar they had in stock.

Last edited by zombywoof; 03-28-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

It never hurts to ask. I bought a 2018 Seagull S6 this past weekend; I asked, "So, how much out the door?" The shop owner quickly knocked $60 off the sticker, this for a guitar that had been in the shop for just a couple of weeks. He was running a "March Madness" sale (in his Facebook post, he interjects, "Carolina!! What was that!!??" grrrrrrrr...) but this particular S6 was not marked down, unlike many of the other guitars that had been sitting for months.

I did buy a nice Seagull gigbag and extra strings as well. He made a nice profit on the sale and I got out the door with a superb guitar within my budget. A win-win.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:02 AM

It never hurts to ask, but it's best to talk to a real person who has the authority to cut a deal. You're not going to get something for less than what it's worth to the dealer/seller, so asking for 10-15% off of the MAP (in person, ideally, over the phone if it's not local).

In the end, the dealer has to make a profit. If they take $$ off the MAP ,they may not offer free shipping, and if you have to ship a guitar across the country insured, via UPS, that can eat up the entire sale price.

In short, buy local, offer face to face. Buy used if you want more negotiating room. I got my used (but mint) 2015 356ce for $1K. MAP is $1899.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-28-2018, 06:04 AM

Default guitar cost

I am surprised no one with real knowledge has chimed in yet. Thats not me; my last guitar bought new at a store was in 1978. Two things: 40% off MSRP is a figure I have heard quoted as the best one is likely to do on a used guitar in fine shape. Secondly, why not call a couple of our sponsors and just ask them, saying you want to get the best you can for your money, and what can you get a 712ce for? Let them know that you are calling 2 or three places. If they don't quote a figure that works for you, then ask about a cheaper model.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I am surprised no one with real knowledge has chimed in yet. Thats not me; my last guitar bought new at a store was in 1978. Two things: 40% off MSRP is a figure I have heard quoted as the best one is likely to do on a used guitar in fine shape. Secondly, why not call a couple of our sponsors and just ask them, saying you want to get the best you can for your money, and what can you get a 712ce for? Let them know that you are calling 2 or three places. If they don't quote a figure that works for you, then ask about a cheaper model.
That depends on what you mean by 'real knowledge'. No dealer is going to say in an online forum - sure, we'll knock 10-15% off of MAP just by asking. They'd be violating their vendor MAP agreement.

The contributors so far have shared reasonable advice - go direct, cash in hand, and ask what their best price is. If it's not a deal, move on. My direct experience has been if you ask directly, you might get a deal, or at least a counteroffer, whether it's a smaller discount, or throwing in something else to sweeten the deal.

Doing it via e-mail or online isn't likely to work - again, traceable back to MAP agreements. The seller doesn't know if it's a real buyer or if it's a corporate mystery shopper checking how their MAP is holding up.

MSRP doesn't really exist in any reality - look at the price tag, make an offer in the ballpark - it'll either work or it won't.

Also, check Reverb for new/demo/used versions. That'll give you the universe of possibilities on prices. It's somewhere between that and MAP.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-28-2018, 06:43 AM

If you are looking for a better quality instrument, go used. GC has a very long list of used guitars. You should be able to find a good deal there and they may dicker a little on the price.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:43 AM

Well . . . I can't state it as being 100% accurate in all situations, but . . .

I have never paid full price for a new guitar. I've gotten discounts ranging from 10-20% off MAP. That's with online dealers and local shops.

The main thing is to be committed to making a purchase and actually talking with them, not just e-mails. It's worked for me every time.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy09 View Post
Hello,

My take on the pricing...

The 15-20% off coupons don't usually apply to Taylor or Martin guitars...
It has every time I've actually spoken to a live person at Musicians Friend. Don't believe the fine print and automatic written disclaimers.....
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, pricing, taylor