The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Guest 1511

The Taylor x12 series 12-frets come in cutaway more often than not. You are right though about it generally being less common. They're out there though.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:49 PM

Dana Bourgeois has made several 12-fret cutaways of various sizes.

I have owned and enjoyed the DB "Martin Simpson" as well as the OMS-C.

George
Old 03-09-2018, 04:11 PM

Varmonter wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
my go to gig guitar is a 71 martin d28s .
I was told the "s" stands for special. it's a slope
shouldered 12 fret slot head.

1971 D-28S

If you're interested in the true explanation for the "S" suffix in the model nomenclature for the D-28S, Var, it's a bit a Martin trivia that I didn't know until fairly recently. When I first started playing guitar in the 1970's, I was told that the "S" suffix on the D-28S and D-18S stood for "slotted," in reference to the slotted headstocks these 12 fret dreadnoughts have. That was the widely accepted explanation at the time. I never heard anyone claim that it stood for "Special," but that makes about as much sense as "slotted headstock."

But what that nomenclature actually dates back to is the period some 90 years ago when Martin made its transition from making all slotted headstock 12 fret guitars to mostly solid headstock 14 fret guitars. Which, at first, were referred to as "Orchestra Models."* The older 12 fret designs, by contrast, were designated as "Standard Models."

So the "S" suffix in your guitar's model nomenclature means "Standard." Of course, the solid headstock 14 fret models immediately eclipsed the slotted headstock 12 fret models in sales, and virtually everyone - even within the Martin guitar company itself - forgot that the "S" originally stood for "Standard." Because that body design was quite clearly no longer the standard, and never would be again.

With that original meaning forgotten, folklore like the "S" referring to "Slotted" or "Special" soon filled the gap. It's only been in recent years that research has uncovered the company's original intention.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

* For even longer than the confusion about the meaning of the "S" suffix has existed, most of us Martin aficionados thought that "Orchestra Models" referred strictly the medium-sized guitars that later evolved into the 14 fret Triple O guitars. But initially ALL guitars with 14 fret body joins were considered "Orchestra Models," (plural) while the 14 fret medium sized guitar was designated as an "OM," which stood for "Orchestra Model" (singular.) Cumbersome and confusing, right? Which is why that fell by the wayside, as well, particularly once Martin shortened the scale length of the OM and started designating it as their 000 model.

The original 12 fret Triple O at that point stopped production and essentially ceased to exist until it was revived by Martin in the late 1980's or early 1990's.

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 03-09-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

I really like the 12-fret, small body with a cutaway format. I own two customs in this format. One (left) is a 0-12 with a 25.4” scale (Sexauer FT-0) and the other (right) is 00-12 sized with a 25.0” scale (Blanchard Pinyon). The 12-fret to the body format has a wonderful timbre and the cutaway provides me access to the upper fretboard.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:01 PM

Playing all fingerstyle I think this is the best setup there is. I have a Collings 0001KG non cutaway and a Collings 0002HC cutaway. I have owned all the different flavors over the years but I love the 12 frets the best, particularity with the cutaway.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
12-fret designs give you a more direct, fundimental sound. 14-fret designs a fuller (more overtones) sound.
I would have said the exact opposite. I find 12 fretters to be much richer, fuller and with more overtones.

Probably the best way to describe or demonstrate the difference, particularly for folks who play 14 fret dreads or OM’s; is to have them move their picking hand an inch closer to the sound hole. That change in tonal character is generally what you get out of a 12 fret.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:34 PM

Tony Yamamoto makes a great 12 fret, short scale, cutaway guitar. His Talus VS-12 model.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:50 PM

12 fret cutaways are a fairly large proportion of my steel string output. Definitely a format that works very well.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:24 PM

Ya got some lovely guitars!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 PM

I really like the 12 fretters and like them with a cutaway. Don't have one at the moment but really liked the Bourgeois Martin Simpson I had for a number of years. Only let it go to pay for the Lowden I found (14 fret F with a cutaway). Have lusted for some time for the Brook at Shoreline pictured above. It is beautiful and I have really liked the few Brook guitars I have had the opportunity to play.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:42 PM

My Rainsong Shorty is also a 12-fret cutaway. Not that I ever play that far down the neck mind you...

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret