The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 02:44 PM

Default Strings question for parlor guitar

Hello,

I am very new to playing guitar, and so far loving it. I've recently traded in my enormous dreadnought (which was damaged and too large-bodied for me) for a smaller-bodied, inexpensive parlor guitar. I was aware I was trading out a warmer sound for a crisper/brighter one by getting a smaller guitar, but ergonimics. It has an incredibly bright sound that I'd like to mellow as much as possible with a new set of strings. (I know I won't change the sound completely by changing strings.) I've read a lot on here about Taylors and changing strings to mellow and warm the sound, but I'd love some recomendations on this especially bright sound and what strings people might recommend that are most likely to mellow it out. It's an Ibanez PN14 parlor guitar.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:51 PM

John Pearse Folk strings (nylon with ball ends). Made by Thomastik-Infeld so high in price and quality like all their stuff, but should last a good long time and may be what you're looking for. Info & a coupla reviews:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/thomas...6-43-5408.html
Old 02-16-2018, 02:53 PM

newtone double wound or martin retros will mellow it a bit. dr rares may be good too.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:54 PM

I use D'A PB xlights on my smaller guitars.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:52 PM
Guest 1511

John Pearse PBs in 12s. Or Martin Lifespan in 12s or Martin SPs. Newtone makes some nice mellower strings too. Stay away from Elyxr (if you want to avoid brightness) and find something in phosphor/bronze. Parlors are not intrinsically bright BTW. Some are, some aren't. Martins, for example, are not.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:03 PM

-Thomastik-Infeld Plectrums are very nice, soft feel, warm tone,expensive.
-La Bella Silk & Steel similar feel and tone to Plectrums, cheaper.
-GHS Silk & Bronze feel and sound more like PB strings, nice warm tone

The John Pearse by Thomastik Infeld mentioned above in post #2 are an interesting set - all 6 strings are wound - no plains and no nylons.
They do have a ball-end but I thought they were designed to go on nylon string guitars?
Roundwound - don't cut the excess off before having them up to tension!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-16-2018, 07:21 PM

Thumbs up

Silk and phosphorus, 11/47 gauge, works magic.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

John Pearse "Pure Nickel Wound" (Set #960L)

Martin Retros, but they take time to settle in and sound warm.

Martin Flexible Cores.

Silk and Steel, but on my 00 they sound like trash,on a bit bigger guitar, my folk, and they sound good. Toss a coin on that one.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
-
The John Pearse by Thomastik Infeld mentioned above in post #2 are an interesting set - all 6 strings are wound - no plains and no nylons.
They do have a ball-end but I thought they were designed to go on nylon string guitars?
Roundwound - don't cut the excess off before having them up to tension!

I put the Pearse Folk strings on an O-size regular flattop - i.e. the kind you'd expect to use metal strings on - and they sound great, no problem driving the top. They're mostly thinner than classical nylon strings so I have not needed to recut the nut or bridge (on my guitar, YMMV).

I had a traumatic experience years ago the first time I installed some Thomastiks, as a result of which I did not cut this set of strings at all - the ends are still hanging from the headstock which I feel is OK because they're soft enough that I am not in danger of putting my eye out (again, YMMV).

Last edited by frankmcr; 02-16-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:01 PM

I tamed a loud Cort AD Mini OP (mini dread) with Thomastik Classic S Rope Core KR116 (they're $29-35 US). They're dissimilar to the Pearse Folk, whose #1 & 2 strings impressed me as metallic/zingy. The KR116 have a solid eveness across all six strings, and work beyond my expectations in their fullness of tone and clarity with the steel string guitars CA Cargo, Cort AD Mini, and Yamaha JR-1. For me, the strings are so unique in their characteristics that I've ordered another three sets to try on more guitars that will benefit from the KR116's ability to remain clear despite their low tension.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I use LaBella Silk & Steel Lights on my SC 00 and they sound terrific. They feel good under my fingers too. Inexpensive at $8.95 per set.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:27 PM

I'm a big fan of using 0.13 to 0.56 gauge strings, but tuning the whole instrument down a tone.

If you're fairly new to playing guitar, experiment with the guitar's tone by moving your right hand (assuming you're right-handed) closer to the fingerboard when you strum/fingerpick.
Harley Benton CLP15M
www.facebook.com/mattmiltonmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
parlor guitar, strings