The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2017, 11:03 AM

Default Torn Between Two Martin Guitars

In short, I'm looking to get one of two guitars...the Martin Authentic 1931 D-28 or the Martin 00-42SC John Mayer. I've done a lot of review and forum reading and watched a lot of videos, but I've seen and heard nothing that strongly pushed me one way or the other. They both seem very nice. Anyway, I was hoping that someone who has played or owned one or both could provide some insight into these guitars. If you own either of these guitars, it'd be interesting to hear how they've held up over time as well or if they've developed any issues.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2017, 11:28 AM

It may depend upon your age . . . seriously.

My two guitars are both Standard Series, a D-28 and a 000-28.

Being in my late 60s, the go to guitar has become the 000 as it's so much more comfortable to play. It's smaller size, short scale (I tuned down one semi-tone, Light gauge strings).

My shoulders ache after a while with the Dreadnought, but the sound is so nice (also tuned down one semi-tone and Mediums strings).

Ultimately it can only be your choice.

Food for thought: You're going to get a great guitar . . . or a great guitar
Old 11-26-2017, 12:14 PM

The question you have to answer is what are you looking for from the guitar? These two guitars are both top-tier but completely different. I would take either but for completely different reasons.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:20 PM

I'm in my late 30's, so the size shouldn't be an issue for me...yet. However, it's something to consider as a long-term factor. Another issue I'm concerned with are potential long-term issues that may arise with the non-adjustable truss rod in the 1931 (or any related expenses to fix it) Plus, any perceptions of the sounds of either guitar or a comparison of sounds would be great to read. I understand they're different guitars, but I enjoy hearing others' reactions: good and/or bad.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Martin has been building non-truss rod guitars for over a hundred years and many are still around. You get a lifetime warranty with new purchase of either. You have a choice of a world-class dreadnaught with the volume and power that goes with it and an articulate sweet balanced tone that is plenty loud but nothing like the D. The 00 will feel like half the size and you should play both before you decide as neither carries an entry-level price point. I have both sizes and appreciate both for what they bring but: do you play alone? do you play sitting? do you need dread volume? do you prefer a sweeter more balanced sound or the power of a dread? Have you owned/played a 1 7/8" nut guitar? Very wide. Do you prefer normal or short scale?.....? These are all questions you should dig into before choosing between these two guitars. Again, VERY different. Neither should be problematic for any reason as both guitars are as good as guitar's come.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
The question you have to answer is what are you looking for from the guitar? These two guitars are both top-tier but completely different. I would take either but for completely different reasons.
Aside from their size and difference in sound as a result, how would you say they are different? They are both 12-fretters with the same nut width (unless I'm mistaken).
Old 11-26-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Martin has been building non-truss rod guitars for over a hundred years and many are still around. You get a lifetime warranty with new purchase of either. You have a choice of a world-class dreadnaught with the volume and power that goes with it and an articulate sweet balanced tone that is plenty loud but nothing like the D. The 00 will feel like half the size and you should play both before you decide as neither carries an entry-level price point. I have both sizes and appreciate both for what they bring but: do you play alone? do you play sitting? do you need dread volume? do you prefer a sweeter more balanced sound or the power of a dread? Have you owned/played a 1 7/8" nut guitar? Very wide. Do you prefer normal or short scale?.....? These are all questions you should dig into before choosing between these two guitars. Again, VERY different. Neither should be problematic for any reason as both guitars are as good as guitar's come.
The answer to your first couple of questions are a combination of both...I expect to play alone and with someone and I'll play both sitting and standing. It really just depends on the situation. I've never played on a 1 7/8" nut, but I'm not concerned since I'm adaptable and have bigger hands. I suppose what I'm really looking for with this thread are others' first-hand experiences with either of these guitars and anything in their experience that may help to sway my decision one way or the other.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of OO guitars so I'm biased. Tonally I prefer the OO, to my ear it's a more balanced guitar and i like the size. A OO, for me, is easier to get my arms around, fits my body better, both sitting and standing w/ strap.

And the way I like my guitars set up, with no neck relief and fairly low action, I need a truss rod. You can't adjust neck relief without one. I would assume the OO has one.

So those would be my reasons for picking one over the other.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet18 View Post
..I expect to play alone and with someone and I'll play both sitting and standing. It really just depends on the situation. I've never played on a 1 7/8" nut, but I'm not concerned since I'm adaptable and have bigger hands. I suppose what I'm really looking for with this thread are others' first-hand experiences with either of these guitars and anything in their experience that may help to sway my decision one way or the other.
What I'll add to what I've already posted is welcome to the group. If you're looking for help to sway you - I won't do that. These two, very different, guitars, feel different, sound different, play differently due to size, and have nothing but excellent pedigree in common. I've described the tonal differences but you have to decide whether you want a big-bodied dread and all that comes with that or an intimate 00. Neither will be a tonal disappointment but very different from one another and you my friend have to make that call on your own. At this price point I would actually spend the extra $200 (for shipping) or so and order both in if you can't play them prior to purchasing and choose my favorite. Then, simply return the other.

Two hundred dollars at this purchase price is well worth the knowledge that I made the right choice. Additionally, to me, hand size has far less to do with whether you will enjoy playing 1 7/8" necks. The bigger difference between these two guitars is dread vs. 00 and all that it entails. Happy hunting.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:50 PM

Are you planning on trying these guitars, or buying them by mail order?

If I was planning of spending that kind of money, I would rather some of it went on the cost of a trip to somewhere like Elderly, where I could try a whole lot of new and used guitars. I wouldn't be trusting other folks opinions or vids, I would be trusting my ears. Even with a good return policy, you might well end up deciding to keep one when you could have done better with side-by-side comparisons.

EDIT I personally would be looking at old, well-used guitars, because you know what you are getting in terms of tone and geometry.

Last edited by Tony Done; 11-26-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:11 PM

Another suggestion. Get the best of both in one box and try an OM-21 with mixed med / light strings like the Monel MM13. They do everything exceptionally well from hard strumming to gentle fingerpicking and they are super comfortable. The OM was designed by a banjo player and have an undeserved reputation as being just for finger players. You also get Martin’s longest catalogued rosewood guitar. The OM-28v, OM-16DGTE premium, and D28 here never get played since the OM-21 joined the stable. It’s hard to beat as a lifetime guitar to do everything with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
00-42sc, 1931, authentic, d-28, martin