The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2017, 10:08 PM

Lightbulb Trying to buy an acoustic guitar.

Greetings, I'm about to go to Canada for a week so I was planning to buy an acoustic guitar, here in Argentina, guitars literally cost as double as much. As I said I'm from Argentina, so English is not my native, please excuse my spelling mistakes.

My range of price is up to 600 american dollars (750 canadian dollars), not much, but I guess it's not little either. I'm looking for a good instrument but not "elite" ones. I've been studying classical guitar for some years and now I was looking forward to move into acoustic guitars, I own an acoustic Fender Squier but it just seems that doesn't sound to well (i.e. when I play an open G and then on that same string, 12th fret another G, the octave sounds "lower", same with other strings), plus I painted it with graffiti spray years ago.....

So this topic is based on four points:

A) Brand/Model: My choices based on canadian Ebay are (I post the URLs so I can come back and check them, but you're free to visit them too):

1) Taylor GS Mini Mahogany (I think it's parlor?)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Taylor-GS-Min...kAAOSwOgdYqUNb

2) Same Taylor GS Mahogany but with electric input (is that the term? When it's amplified)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Taylor-GS-Min...cAAOSwdGFYqUKa

3) I don't know the brand:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Small-Size-Al...6tuR7BpEERNX2w

4) Epiphone EJ 200 (Dreadnought I guess).
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Epiphone-EJ-2...4AAOSwRUhY~Cde

5)Yairi (smaller guitar):
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/S-Yairi-YM16N...AAAOSw~jNZYhUg

6) Another Taylor Baby Mahogany Acoustic (don't know the difference between this and number 2)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Taylor-Baby-T...0AAOSwWWxY~Ukr

7) Taylor Baby MiniGS Spruce (same mini as Taylor Mahogany but I think the difference is one the wood)

My strongest bet is Taylor GS Mini Mahogany... or the Taylor Baby GS Mini Spruce

B) Shape of the guitar: I'm intending to do fingerstyle on acoustic, and I've seen guitarists like Sungha Jung and Gabriella Quevedo, who don't use dreadnought guitars, but they are "curved" (more like electric guitars) I don't know if they are elecitric-acoustic guitars.
Maybe dreadnought guitars are worse for me, as I use the classical guitar posture, a bigger guitar may be uncomofortable for me as a guitar teacher told me once (he saw me with that Fender Squier acoustic guitar once). That would be, I place my guitar on the left lap.

C) Size: Also my hands are smaller and I was already intending to buy a smaller guitar. Here in Argentina we have three or four models: 4/4 (standard, most common), 7/8 (women), 3/4 (children), then ther are some other bigger than 4/4. Thing is, I come across with terms such as "parlor", "mini", "travel" and "baby" guitars. Are they different? I was aiming for a 7/8 (women) guitar, but not a kid-sized once. Just one scale down on size.

D) Amplification: Another question, I was intending to amplify it later (much later), but then again I observe some guitarists like Sungha Jung who use a pick-up microphone in the soundhole rather than just connecting the guitar to an amplifier with a plug on the bottom.
It seems that pick-up microphones in the soundhole sound "more complete". So I don't know if I'm willing to pay 100$ more for an amplification version of the same guitar. Also do the electro-acoustic guitars sound "less" than the normal acoustic ones when playing unplugged?

That would be all, thanks.

Last edited by lacatedral; 08-24-2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added information on available guitars.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:16 PM
Get off my lawn kid

You might want to look at Seagull guitars also. I have the Coastline Folk. It has 1.8" nut, which is smaller than a classical. The guitar itself is just a little bit bigger than a classical guitar. If you really like the Taylor minis, I think the all mahogany ones sound the best, but I feel my Seagull beats all you listed with the exception of the Yairi, which I am not familiar with. Good luck!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:36 PM

Your English is excellent, and you are on the right track in your search. I like Barry's suggestion of the Seagull Coastline Folk, based on what you have said. I would eliminate the Taylor Baby models, which are very different from the GS Mini, which would also be a good choice. I think you can safely do without paying extra now for a pickup for amplification. It can be added later, and this would allow you to stretch your money to get the best guitar you can afford.

Depending on the dealer you visit, another way to get a better guitar for your money is to buy one that is in great shape, but is used. That is, someone else once owned it. If you can find a used guitar you like, your $750 Canadian might buy you a guitar that originally cost $1,000 or more. Not always, of course, but perhaps!

cotten
Old 08-25-2017, 02:54 AM

If you are going to go for a GS Mini, and are hoping to amplify, why not pay the extra for a Mini E, which has the ES2 system built in? I just got a mahogany GS mini E this week. Like all piezo-based systems, the amplified tone is limited and needs some EQ tweaking, but it is surprisingly good for such a small and inexpensive guitar. Unamplified, it's a delight, and its size and portability (and the excellent gig bag) make it unbeatable value.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:59 AM

PS looking again at your notes on amplification... I don't think there is any difference between acoustic and electro-acoustic in terms of unplugged sound quality. Arguably you are paying a little bit extra for the pick-up/pre-amp, but at your budget I would have to say it's not a significant enough difference. And, as I said above, the GS mini E is excellent value.

I prefer soundhole pick-ups. They are not as convenient of course, but to my ears they sound better, but I would add that I have not played an expensive piezo-based system. My experience is comparing my Gibson Dove with a Baggs M1 passive to a) GS mini ES2 and b) Martin Road Series 00015 all mahogany guitar with built-in Fishman sonitone. The Baggs soundhole pick-up is far superior to both of them.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:16 AM

+1 on a Seagull. I like Taylors, but not so much a Mini fan. At your price point I think there are better choices, Seagull being one of them. Taylors, from what I hear from my Canadian friends, may be more expensive in Canada than in the US for some reason.
The Academy Series might also be worth consideration if you want to stick with Taylor.
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 08-25-2017, 05:31 AM

Don't limit your search to those guitars when you go. Most Canadian guitar shops that carry quality acoustic guitars will likely carry a lot of Canadian built instruments, and there are quite a few Canadian guitar makers offering well built acoustic guitars that are in your price range.
And those Taylor GS Minis are pretty cool, too. I've got a few of them myself
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 08-25-2017, 06:14 AM

I would find the guitar shop with the best selection within driving distance. Go in with an open mind and find the one that speaks to you.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 AM

Hola Lacatedral! Welcome to the forum - nice to see an Argentine here. Mi mujer es una porteña.

I would echo many of the other comments here - keep your mind open on particular brand, but the ones recommended are fine. However, visit some guitar shops, and in particular, look at their used inventory - you should be able to get a better guitar for your money.

Now, I have a question for you, assuming you are from Buenos Aires (which may not be true). We own an apartment in Palermo (in Las Cañitas neighborhood) that we will use in retirement (part time here; part time in Buenos Aires). I've been trying to find some decent guitar stores in Buenos Aires, preferably near my neighborhood - but really haven't found a good one yet. Any recommendations? I don't plan on buying any guitars there (although I understand there are some good luthiers in Argentina - however they seem to be focused more on classical guitars) - but looking for a place to pick up strings, accessories, etc.

Steve
Old 08-25-2017, 08:05 AM

Where in Canada are you visiting. We can recommend the best guitar stores, possibly. You may want to avoid rosewood in your guitar, since you are immediately exporting it and CITES may be an issue. Normally a personal instrument can be exempt, but possibly not a brand new one.

Brian
Old 08-25-2017, 08:30 AM

I wouldn't recommend any of the above for fingerstyle playing. This is just my opinion and comes from my POV, so take with a grain of salt.

The Taylor GS Mini is a pretty nice little guitar. I prefer a wider nut spacing for fingerstyle - at least 1.75". If I were going down the "mini sized" route, I would strongly suggest you look at the Martin D Jr. I prefer both it's tone/volume and its neck profile. I also agree with cotten and would steer you away from the Taylor Baby. Very poor tone IMO and toy-like.

The GS Mini is not a parlor size, it's got it's own thing going on - same thing with the D Jr. The good thing about the GS Mini is that they are extremely playable straight out of the box and I have yet to pick up a D Jr that wasn't badly in need of a setup.

I don't really understand the inclusion of a Jumbo (ej200) on this list. That is a BIG guitar by any standard.

I don't really know what is available in Argentina, so I'm of little direct help.

You should explore the world of small bodied (not miniature) guitars before buying. 0, 00, 000/Om size.

My personal suggestion is to look at Alvarez 00 sized guitars like the Alvarez Blues 51

Buying untried and online is the most sure way to end up with a guitar you don't like. If possible, buy from an online store with a generous return policy (not Ebay).

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-25-2017, 08:35 AM

Me sorprende que con todas las guitarras pequeñas en sus opciones que tiene la lista y Epiphone EJ-200, que es una guitarra jumbo. Si yo quería una guitarra de tamaño pequeño de estas opciones elegiría el Yairi.

No tienes que comprar una guitarra más pequeña porque tienes manos pequeñas. Mi hija que es de 154cm juega un dreadnought de tamaño completo con un suave cuello en V sin problemas.

Lo siento, pero el español no es mi primer idioma tampoco
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-25-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
Where in Canada are you visiting. We can recommend the best guitar stores, possibly. You may want to avoid rosewood in your guitar, since you are immediately exporting it and CITES may be an issue. Normally a personal instrument can be exempt, but possibly not a brand new one.

Brian
That is some good advice. As this is a rare occasion for you to step up the quality of your guitar I also would suggest you stay clear of entry level Taylors which tend to be terribly overpriced. In your price range you might be able to get a used smaller bodied U.S. built Guild such as F47, F30, F20 etc. Those have the qualities to become a guitar for life!

For example:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Guild-F-30-Ac...AAAOSwyI5ZncvS

Though this one looks a bit battle worn and has high import charges.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:37 AM

Seagull guitars are an excellent value, but if I was going to Canada, I would have to find a store that sells Larrivees at least for comparison.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:50 PM

Arrow

[QUOTE=merlin666;5455549]That is some good advice. As this is a rare occasion for you to step up the quality of your guitar I also would suggest you stay clear of entry level Taylors which tend to be terribly overpriced. In your price range you might be able to get a used smaller bodied U.S. built Guild such as F47, F30, F20 etc. Those have the qualities to become a guitar for life!

For example:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Guild-F-30-Ac...AAAOSwyI5ZncvS

Okay sounds fine

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, buy, fingerstyle, new guitar