The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marit View Post
Maybe my guitar is an exception, but I got a Fender classic design (with cutaway and electronics, not sure of the model no.) and it's got great sound and playability with light or medium gauge strings. Everybody always tells me how great it plays and sounds when they play it.
I'd say it's just knee jerk reaction to the brand, similar to the reaction when Ovation comes up (but for different reasons). In the 1990s I went out searching for an acoustic guitar for my daughter. She had her heart set on a blue guitar. That eliminated a lot of brands. We came across a Fender in blue. I compared it to several other (non-blue) guitars in the shop. There were a couple that I liked more, including a Yamaha if I recall correctly, but it wasn't a night-and-day difference. I bought the Fender and my daughter was happy.

But that inexpensive Fender and some of the downright cheap Fenders of previous decades are nothing like the guitars that the OP is discussing. Both are solid-wood guitars, likely from one of the same factories that produce guitars under names like Guild, Blueridge, etc. (Someone can feel free to correct me on this.) And the PM2 has received very good reviews. If I were trying to emulate the Nick Drake sound, I'd want to compare it to a Guild M120. But if the Guild isn't available, the PM2 would seem to be a good, and perhaps more versatile, choice.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 08-22-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Yeah, you read very good things about the "New Hartford" Fenders. They seem to be pretty rare, though.
They were labeled Fender "Custom Shop" but I think that website is gone, and who knows what even the model names were. There were too few to even develop a following group who discusses them. Other Fender acoustics are likely junk.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:54 PM

Why are you set on Fender? I'm not a fender basher, but their acoustics aren't great.

I would seriously look into Yamaha. They make some fantastic sounding and playing guitars for good prices.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:57 PM

My daughter fell in love with the looks of a very fancy looking Fender Paramount acoustic (000 size I think). I took her all over the store and showed her comparable price Taylors, Eastmans, etc. Nothing doing she LOVED the Fender. So I bought it for her at $799US.

It is beautiful with herringbone trim and beautiful top wood, inlays and a high gloss top. But it is really not very nice sounding and even after a pro setup doesn't play very well.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-22-2017, 06:10 PM

Default Fender PM-1

I bought a used Fender PM-1, all mahogany about 4 months ago and I love it. I can't say one bad thing about it. I can't speak for the PM-2, I played one, but very briefly. Not enough for a real evaluation.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmationdexter View Post
My daughter fell in love with the looks of a very fancy looking Fender Paramount acoustic (000 size I think). I took her all over the store and showed her comparable price Taylors, Eastmans, etc. Nothing doing she LOVED the Fender. So I bought it for her at $799US.

It is beautiful with herringbone trim and beautiful top wood, inlays and a high gloss top. But it is really not very nice sounding and even after a pro setup doesn't play very well.

Cheers,
Mike
As a local DJ around here used to say, "You can put fancy wheels on a Vega, but that don't make it no Corvette".
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 08-22-2017, 08:56 PM

The replies to this thread are a joke. Absolutely insane.

I recently bought a guitar. I played many. Many different brands. If I had a blindfold on there would have been 3 Fender acoustics in the top 10. No lie. And the most expensive of the Fenders was under $400. Nice playability and good sound. Good looking too.

I am appalled by the hate for Fender acoustics here. I don't know these people but I can tell you this, they don't think that your opinion matters.

Boy, would I love to play some of their guitars....

Don't let this thread change your opinion.

Wow....
Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 PM

I was one of those who bought the GDO-500 before they were discontinued, and still have it today. So maybe I can chime in.

I paid $399 USD for it brand new, and at the time for an all-solid guitar, was an excellent deal. A few negatives were a number of glue spots on the inside, and the finish, although even, was on the thick side.

On the pros, the tone on mine was very nice, although not very loud. It was very playable out the box, and other than a few turns on the truss rod, it hasn't needed a professional setup. No buzzes or anything worth nothing on playability.

I have since bought and sold many, but the only reason I've kept it was that it records exceptionally well. I may get slack for this, but it's actually THE guitar I pull out the case when it comes time to lay down tracks. I have others that sound 10x better acoustically, but when recording, the GDO is my go-to.

The guitar has it's faults, and your results may vary, but mine serves a very good purpose for my needs. This is my opinion, as unpopular as it may seem round here.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
The replies to this thread are a joke. Absolutely insane.

I recently bought a guitar. I played many. Many different brands. If I had a blindfold on there would have been 3 Fender acoustics in the top 10. No lie. And the most expensive of the Fenders was under $400. Nice playability and good sound. Good looking too.

I am appalled by the hate for Fender acoustics here. I don't know these people but I can tell you this, they don't think that your opinion matters.

Boy, would I love to play some of their guitars....

Don't let this thread change your opinion.

Wow....
I noticed you don't have a Fender listed in your signature. I guess you didn't love them as much as you're letting on.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-23-2017, 06:57 AM

5 Years ago I was playing in a Beatles tribute band - guitars and keyboards, and needed a guitar with pickup, as I was using my ancient Epi with a soundhole pickup for 3 or 4 songs. My budget was very limited. I tried every sub-$500 (new) guitar I could get my hands on, but my budget was less than that.
I kept coming back to the Fender CD140SCE (solid top, lam sides/back) and a couple of Epiphone models. Loved the playbility of the neck - feels much like my Telecaster. I thought the acoustic sound was comparable to the Epi's that cost $100 to $200 more. Didn't like the Yammies or Seagulls I tried in that price, including used ones - either they didn't feel right or didn't sound good to my ears.
When I saw the CD140 available barely used for $200 I jumped on it. No complaints - plugged in, the sound is more than adequate (most people admit that one guitar with a Fishman sounds like any other). If I record I usually use my Taylor these days, but I would use the Fender and know that I could get it to sound good on a recording with other instruments with no problems.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 AM

I haven't played them, but it's the internet and that makes me an expert so my opinion is that I'm sure those newer Fenders are just as good as any of the Asian made mass produced guitars out there (Ibanez, Alvarez, Yamaha, etc.).

If you tried it and liked it, it's a good guitar.

I'm sure you really loved the one you played until the "experts" on the internet told you that you don't.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 AM

What kind of guitar did Jimi play ?

There ya go,.. case closed

Just kiddin, but I do own an 80's Fender acoustic , it's a "LaBrea" model with the signature six on one side headstock, it's a pretty good guitar, all nice strong laminate with a blonde flame maple finish , built like a tank.

Show this to non players next to my Martin HD28V and most think the Fender is the more expensive guitar.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:41 AM

If you want something that feels like a Fender Modern-C electric neck IMO Taylor has that pretty well covered. The Martin Performing Artist neck is going to feel pretty similar too IMO, but I don't own one so I can't say that with as much confidence.

The hate for Fender acoustics is not just here. I follow Fender on on Facebook and Twitter and overtime they post about how great their acoustics are it turns into a hatefest.

They are not doing themselves any favors by claiming the acoustics are true to their heritage when they are built overseas and most people don't think Leo Fender really felt acoustic guitars were a big part of his legacy considering they started making them right before the sale to CBS, perhaps to make the company look more attractive to a buyer and/or to find something to build rather than laying off employees.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:25 AM

Fender seem to do ok in the 'beginner' market. Their sub $200 models often get good reviews and often appear quite high in the sales ranks of online stores.

If substantial numbers of kids are learning their first few chords on an easy to play budget Fender, then kudos to Fender.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I noticed you don't have a Fender listed in your signature. I guess you didn't love them as much as you're letting on.
Just because I don't own one doesn't mean I don't desire one. Like I said, 3 in the top 10 speaks volumes.

IMO, Fender acoustics are right in line with Yamaha. Great guitar for the money.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fender acoustic, parlor guitar, small body, small body guitar