The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2016, 08:03 PM

Default Clip on tuner recommendations

Hi, I have a PT-10 intellitouch that works fine at home but some times gets flakey even with a fresh battery. Looking to get something more consistent. Just want to be able to change reference pitch to 430-445.

I also have the boss TU-2 and poly tone stompbox tuners but can't seem to change the reference pitch on those for 432. Is there a work around I'm missing?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer tunes View Post
Hi, I have a PT-10 intellitouch that works fine at home but some times gets flakey even with a fresh battery. Looking to get something more consistent. Just want to be able to change reference pitch to 430-445.

I also have the boss TU-2 and poly tone stompbox tuners but can't seem to change the reference pitch on those for 432. Is there a work around I'm missing?

Thanks
HI CT

First of all, Hello and welcome to the forum! Glad you joined and started a thread.

The only thing I have more of than clip-on-tuners is capos.

The best all around tuner is the TC Electronics PolyTune Clip on. Never tried to change the reference pitch, because I generally play with others, and our reference remains A=440hz…but I'm guessing there's an adjuster in there somewhere buried in a layer. (I googled it just now and indeed there is!)

The Peterson tuners for iPhone/iPad and Android devices will give you all the accuracy you could want, and adjustability beyond belief. They offer plug in solutions, but these are living room devices with great options and flexibility.

For live play I know my Peterson stand alone tuners will change the reference pitch. So did my basic $15 Korg a decade ago.

You might consult the manuals on our TU-2 and PolyTone and see if there is an adjustment buried in a menu somewhere. Perhaps if not, it's time for upgrades (and to begin your own collection of tuners).

Welcome aboard…

[/size]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-26-2016, 09:18 PM

Hi, I like gadgets. I have four of the clipons.

I have a blue Snark SN-1(?) It's the fourth Snark I've owned. One was lost (stolen?) at a gig; two others broke at the little plastic swivel point, one I may be able to save using SuperGlue the other I have managed to SuperGlue the on-off button so it doesn't work and the only way I can get the thing to work now is to manually open and close the battery sleeve. The fifth works fine and I like it because it reads my electric bass well and I like the blue so it doesn't "disappear". Also I can buy these for about $10-$12 at Amazon.

I have the new MagneTune by Korg. It is more of a novelty but it does work but is very simple, no adjustments at all. I haven't tried it on my bass but its specs say the low "E" is as low as it goes. It's only about the size of a large bottle cap. And the readings can be a little jerky. It just attaches to metal so it really works better on an electric guitar than on an acoustic, although you can attach to the ends of your tuners, your strap button, etc.

I have the D'Addario Micro Tuner , smaller than the Mini-Tuner. It's very small and I like it a lot. I just leave it on the headstock of my acoustic when I put it in its case.

I have a tuner from Reverb. I paid originally $4 for it. It works but for some reason, even with a fresh batteries, it seems to take longer to respond. But one word. $4.

My favorite is the Snark. The one I hate the most is also the Snark for its fragile swivel mechanism.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]
The best all around tuner is the TC Electronics PolyTune Clip on. Never tried to change the reference pitch, because I generally play with others, and our reference remains A=440hz…but I'm guessing there's an adjuster in there somewhere buried in a layer. (I googled it just now and indeed there is!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I have the D'Addario Micro Tuner , smaller than the Mini-Tuner. It's very small and I like it a lot. I just leave it on the headstock of my acoustic when I put it in its case.

I have a tuner from Reverb. I paid originally $4 for it. It works but for some reason, even with a fresh batteries, it seems to take longer to respond. But one word. $4.

My favorite is the Snark. The one I hate the most is also the Snark for its fragile swivel mechanism.
These are all very good tuners. The Polytune has adjustable Hz's but it only goes down to 435. Both the D'Addario Micro and and Snark can be brought down to 432. The D'addario will stay in the setting you choose even when you shut if off, so if you want to stay in 432, it will do so. The Snark has to be recalibrated every time you turn it on (no big deal, just a few presses of a button).

The Reverb is nice but can't be calibrated.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 04-27-2016, 08:22 AM

There are some excellent options out there. I have experience with all of these options.

Studio quality:

Peterson Stroboclip
https://www.petersontuners.com/products/stroboclip/

TC Electronics Polytune Clip
http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune-clip/

Quick and Dirty:

Any of the Snarks. They all work well.
http://www.snarktuners.com/

Special features:

Planet Waves NS Micro (Lives on the headstock - Very convenient)
Planet Waves NS Micro Soundhole (Lives inside the Soundhole - Very discreet)

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwTunersa...7-98aaa4339b99

What I currently use:

My new Martin has the Aura + system which includes a built in tuner. The tuner is consistent with my Peterson and TC Electronics Polytune. So, I don't need a tuner for this guitar.

For my 12 string, I used the NS Micro on the headstock. With a 12 string you don't want an overly sensitive tuner. And since, 12 strings need a lot of tuning, I tend to leave it on the guitar semi-permanently. But, since the soundhole version came out recently, I purchased one. It's great! It gives me the same performance as the headstock version and it's hidden.

For my other guitar and any other application I used either the TC Polytune or the Peterson. Before the Polytune was delivered by Santa this Christmas, I used the Peterson exclusively. But, the TC is just as accurate and more compact. However, the Peterson is the standard by which I measure all of the other options. If you want accuracy, bite the bullet and buy a Peterson. Otherwise, see above.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I don't like headstock tuners, hate the look and quite often they don't work w/ the low E string.

That said, all my acoustics have the Planet Waves NS Micros on the headstocks. Never a problem with tracking the low E string and checked against my Peterson, they are right on. They work great.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

I like the Planet Waves NS mini but they have been replaced by the D'addario mini. I also have the larger D'addario clip on which has a larger display.

The Polytune is a great tuner for more money.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:20 AM

I have an old (discontinued) planet waves model and now I have a Polytune. The Polytune is great. I love the way it folds back so it's out of view when you're not using it, great display, fast, accurate, and it just feels more solid than the snarks I've used.

I like the poly mode for checking that i haven't drifted between songs.

Yeah, the snarks are a lot cheaper, but I keep seeing people post about how they break.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

If you're planning to play outside on a sunny day or under the lights of the stage then the Snarks are basically useless as they are practically impossible to see.

The D'Addario Planet Waves NS Micro Headstock Tuner shows up the best and is just as accurate as 99.9% of the tuners out there.

The Peterson clip on strobe is probably the most accurate but also the most finicky of all of them. Unless you're in a perfectly quiet room and have loads of time, then it's not bad.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
tuner, tuners