The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-01-2015, 03:10 PM

Default Names of affordable classical luthiers

Hi everyone,

I'm searching for an all solid wood classical and would prefer to buy something made by a luthier rather than a factory-built instrument. I know the acoustic steel string world well and purchased a nice McIlroy through a contact here on the AGF, but don't know any of the respected builders in the nylon-string world. Can you suggest some makers I should investigate?

Thanks
Richard
Old 12-01-2015, 03:14 PM

What price point are you looking for? And where are you located?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Your post says "affordable" - are you able to be a bit more specific than that, for example a general range? People on here will have all sorts of suggestions, but you may get more useful suggestions if people have a sense of what your budget looks like. For me, sadly, "affordable" and "luthier-built" don't get put together in the same sentence at this stage. But I'd love to see a list of builders who might be a step or two above "I'm flat broke but need (absolutely need) a ridiculously nice handmade guitar."
Old 12-01-2015, 03:48 PM

Angry

Hi, Sorry to have bad news for you but there are no affordable luthiers that
build custom classical guitars. You are talking in the neighborhood of
5,000- and up for custom built classic. I suggest you start looking at some
used units. Regards
Norman2
Old 12-01-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman2 View Post
Hi, Sorry to have bad news for you but there are no affordable luthiers that
build custom classical guitars. You are talking in the neighborhood of
5,000- and up for custom built classic. I suggest you start looking at some
used units. Regards
Norman2
Poppycock.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:24 PM

I believe you will find that classical builds are more expensive than steel string acoustics. Looking at Maple Street Guitars (Atlanta) listing, the Dake Traphagen is listed at $4800. And ****, I wish I hadn't seen that! It's a beauty. But it's from 1988 and has some dings. I think a more realistic price for a new Luthier build classical is more like 7 or 8K. Ross Gutmeier, for example, is a great builder in Baltimore, but hardly a household name. His new guitars are in this range. You can get into the 30K's without too much trouble (e.g. Dammann)

There's factory, all hand-made by a single person, and every variation in between. The hand-made by a single person is going to cost you a lot.

But as always in these threads, my advice is to visit lots of stores. Plays lots of guitars. There are hundreds of "respected builders in the nylon-string world". If you just want a list of those names, cruise places like Guitar Salon International or Classic Guitars International.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
What price point are you looking for? And where are you located?
Regarding the ever elusive meaning of the word `affordable', how about sub $5000? I'm located in Canada.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Ask this question on the Delcamp Classical Guitar Forum. There are several well regarded luthiers there that build instruments below $5000.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:17 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Here's a short list compiled by someone on delcamp, but with no information apart from a location: http://www.delcamp.net/liens/luthiers.htm

Then there's this, from the Classical Guitar Association Canada:
http://www.classicalguitarcanada.ca/...itar-luthiers/

Most of the "reputable" classical luthiers I know about are outside that price range, but that doesn't mean much. Even a luthier quality instrument like a Francisco Navarro Special Concert (not custom-made, mind you) is priced up there. Good luck in your search, surely someone on here will be able to give you a few definite options!
Old 12-01-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardnantel View Post
Regarding the ever elusive meaning of the word `affordable', how about sub $5000? I'm located in Canada.
Robert England (Toronto), Marcus Dominelli (Victoria BC), Jeremy Clark (Montreal), Douglass Scott (?), Joshia and Sergei de Jonge (Quebec), Daryl Perry (Winnipeg), are Canadian luthiers that com to mind. Robert England will probably be the least expensive, and some may be above your price point. For a strictly traditional classical guitar (inspired by Bouchet, Santos Hernandez, Torres, and Hauser) I would probably go with Daryl Perry.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:14 PM

You can get a classical from this Saskatchewan builder for 3-4k (Canadian!)

http://www.timelessinstruments.com/c...struments.html
Old 12-02-2015, 01:54 PM

At lower price ranges you would be looking at taking a chance in some regards. I've built 20 classical guitars and over 60 in total, have almost zero reputation, but also some very happy customers and well under $5k U.S.D.

But that's the risk you take.

It also depends on what wood and quality of wood you want and so on. A fine grade BRW set will cost you well over $1k just for the backs and sides. Rogers tuners, flight case, and so on starts to add up real quick.

When looking for lower priced hand built instruments you are not going to get a highly experienced luthier or one with a reputation for selling a guitar to Clapton or something like that but that doesn't at all mean you won't get a good guitar.

As a builder myself it's why my preference is to build guitars and have people play them then decide if they like it. Even an experienced luthier is not so consistent that they build perfect guitars one after the other. It's very difficult to hit the mark on a custom built guitar but experience gets you much closer to it.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:15 PM

Darren Hippner www.hippnerclassicalguitars.com

Has a great reputation and is very affordable, starting at $2500. I have one of his Flamenco guitars and it is very good. You can find lots of other recommendations about him with a quick google.

--george
Old 12-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Talk to Alan Carruth. He builds steel string and nylon string guitars starting at $4500. He has around 40 years of experience. I don't play nylon string guitars, but I do know the 12 fret 000 he built for me is fantastic.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-02-2015, 11:37 PM

You might look at www.barbarossa-guitars.com. The builder is in Minnesota, here in the U.S. His guitars start somewhere in the $3,000 range I believe, but he has some new-old stock specials that he lists at a large discount on the website. I have one of his Flamenco guitars and I love it. A+ craftsmanship and I got a great deal on a hand-made custom guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
luthier, nylon acoustic