The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 07:22 AM

Default Replacing buttons on Grover Sta-tite 18:1 tuners

My guitar has gold, open geared Grover Sta-tite 18:1 tuners--the ones for non-slotted headstock. For aesthetics, I'd like to switch out the tuners for ebony ones. I've tried to search if it's possible, as it appears the stock buttons may just pull right off. I found somewhere that said that the tuners for slotted headstocks. Does anybody know if the buttons on the tuners for standard headstocks can be removed? If so, does anybody know where I can find ebony buttons for them, without having to drill any holes?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:11 PM

Anyone? I know these are popular tuners, so I'm hoping someone knows about the ability (or lack thereof) to change tuning buttons.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Guest 1928

I do not believe those buttons are removable, or at least they are not meant to be routinely changed out. They are either press fit or glued.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:18 PM

I remember seeing it done on a youtube clip. Not easy. Sorry, can`t help you.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-19-2014, 06:22 PM

The ones with plastic buttons can be changed out and replaced as needed, but I've never heard of anyone taking the metal buttons off a set of Grover Sta-Tite tuners before.

If your tuners have the metal "butter bean" buttons like this one:

I honestly think you'll find it much easier (and actually cheaper, if you account for the cost of the aftermarket buttons and the time spent replacing the original buttons) to simply replace the existing gears with the ones with the buttons you want. You can recoup some of your costs by selling the used ones at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-19-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I remember seeing it done on a youtube clip. Not easy. Sorry, can`t help you.
Yeah, I saw that video where he was using a vise and a jig. But I thought he was showing it more from the perspective of someone replacing the buttons on brand new, out of the box tuners. Yeah, that looked like more than I'd want to do just for aesthetic purposes.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The ones with plastic buttons can be changed out and replaced as needed, but I've never heard of anyone taking the metal buttons off a set of Grover Sta-Tite tuners before.

If your tuners have the metal "butter bean" buttons like this one:

I honestly think you'll find it much easier (and actually cheaper, if you account for the cost of the aftermarket buttons and the time spent replacing the original buttons) to simply replace the existing gears with the ones with the buttons you want. You can recoup some of your costs by selling the used ones at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Yup, those are the ones I have. I'd have to think twice (or more) before I decide to go through the work of changing tuners just for looks.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briluster View Post
I'd have to think twice (or more) before I decide to go through the work of changing tuners just for looks.
Well, changing to the same style of tuning gears but with different buttons on them is pretty easy. It can be done during the course of a normal string change on your guitar.

But removing metal butterbean buttons and replacing them with different buttons would take the process to a much higher level of complexity.

whm
Old 04-21-2014, 02:09 AM

Default changing Grover sta-tite tuner buttons

I have changed Grover buttons from metal to ebony many times. The replacement ebony buttons are available from Stewart McDonald.
The process is simple
1. Pull the old buttons off
2. Rib up a holding jig to enable you to drill out the hole in the ebony button to match the diameter of the grover button shaft.
3. The hole should be just large enough to have a little friction from the shaft tabs.
4. Press the new button on the shaft after first putting a drop of medium viscosity superglue in the button hole.
Done.

You can find a youtube video that details the process and the simple holding jigs.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:10 AM

Default changing tuner buttons

you can find the video on youtube by Chris Paulick.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 AM

yeah Chris's vids are a joy, he's a good man.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
18:1, ebony, grover, sta-tite, tuners