The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 PM

Default Post-Martin OM-21 Special blues -

Hello - this is my first post. I'm been lurking about, learning what I may from all the great information in these forums. Below is my sad story of a Martin OM-21 Special loved and lost. (Skip toward the bottom if you would just like to help me pick her replacement.)

I've had my eye on various guitars over the last few years, wanting to upgrade from my Parkwood Mahogany/Spruce OM and S&P Showcase Rosewood (D size, not a bad guitar). I began looking at D sized guitars a few years go, and was certain I wanted a D-18GE, or something along those lines. Almost bought one a couple of times. Luckily I waited, because....

I've since decided that 000 size is truly what I want. I did a ton of research, much of it here, and played as many guitars as I could get my hands on. I liked Martin OM-21, OM-28 marquis, Santa Cruz's OM, Collings OM2H, etc etc. Most of those were a little on the high end of my price range. People seemed to really rave about the OM-21 Special; I liked the basic martin OM's, and I liked the look, so I decided to buy one. I couldn't find one locally to play, so I just ordered one new from a reputable retail/internet shop. Got a really great deal on the guitar...

I waited and waited. Received the guitar. LOVED it. Then, a few things went sideways. I noticed a buzzing when playing the G string, not noticeable at first, but after awhile, it was all I could hear. Based on info online, I tracked it down to the infamous c f martin open tuner washer issue. I called the shop to report in. They recommended that I remove the bushings by unscrewing the nut (yes, they wanted me to do this, and yes, they suggested unscrewing the nut). So I did. I quickly learned that these were press fit bushings, and did not unscrew. Most of them were loose, and lift-able with a fingernail. They would need to be replaced or glued in. Another issue: there was something wrong with the finish along the edge of the pick guard. I kept staring at it day after day; I finally asked the shop if they had repaired the pick guard. They admitted that it had come up, and they'd glued it back down. (not well enough that a newb like me wouldn't notice). I thought that they should have admitted this to me. What do you guys think?

Long story short (?) - I sent the guitar back. The shop treated me well, so no hard feelings. Interestingly, by the end of my several day repair/audition experience, I also ended up with a new impression that the 21 Special was way too muddled / dark when fingerpicking. I'm not sure what shifted to change my impression. I really dug it at first. The guitar did sound AMAZING when strumming though. Really really good.

Now, of course, i'm looking for the next one. OM size and config, 2 1/4 spacing at bridge (or 2 5/16), probably rosewood. I am a couch player, 60% fingerstyle, the rest a variety. I don't love the martin mod-v, but may be able to handle the collings or santa cruz. They feel a little less pointy. Ideally, something between a low-oval and a volute would be great.

I'm trying to work thru the Adirondack / Sitka / Englemann issue (which i've read many threads on). I'm very interested in a quitar with high-quality woods, and something that will improve over time.

Sorry to be so verbose. Just looking to join the fray really, and maybe solicit a few suggestions?

Thanks!

-Brett
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 PM

Sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with the OM-21 Special.

The OM-21 Special has less focus in the bass frequencies than the regular OM-21 for example but I would not describe my own instrument as "dark for fingerstyle".

I think it is the most versatile instrument around and a great value as well.

Here are some clips of the OM-21 Special played fingerstyle.

http://soundcloud.com/joecharter/les...s-martin-om-21
http://soundcloud.com/joecharter/guess-the-guitar
Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 AM

The OM-21 is bass heavy. For most people, I'd recommend the Santa Cruz OM/PW over the OM-21 (it has more of everything), but it's even more bass heavy.

So maybe the Martin tone isn't for you? There's a whole world of more balanced OM's out there. Collings may be a good choice for you -- significantly more clarity to my ears.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 AM

My Favorite Guitar has a custom run of OM-35's available.

http://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/pro...roductid=17041

I've always had a soft spot for the -35 series.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 AM

I'm sorry the OM21S did not work for you. I'm very happy with mine. But I agree on it being darker than a normal OM21. That's why I choose mine. I agree a Collings could be worth to try.
Some months ago, in a shop were they have a small room full of marvels, I tried a bunch of OM and OOO and the only one I was tempted to swap my OM21S for was a Collings OM2H. It was wonderful!

I love the smell of spruce in the morning

Gibson Advanced Jumbo
Martin OM-21 Special
Gibson Keb'Mo'
Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 AM

An OM-42 might put a smile on your face, definitely brighter and cleaner than the 21's, and not quite as warm and woody.

Tons of great OM's out there especially Martin, Santa Cruz and Bourgeois!! Happy shopping!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:32 AM

Any "shop" that told you to screw or unscrew the "nuts" should be avoided in the future. They really don't know what they're doing. Tightening those grommets is a simple matter of drying a few layers of cyanacrylic glue around the base.

Guitars change in sound over time. They have "moods" based on how much they're being played, humidity, temperature, barometric pressure, and whether or not you have a cold. My advice? Obsess less, play more. My 2¢

Jon Z.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 AM

If the OM-21 sounded dark or heavy to you, perhaps you need to re-think the spruce over rosewood combination.
Rosewood, while a wonderful tonewood, sounds too dark and muddied to my ears... that is because (likely) my ears aren't what they used to be. Mahogany is clearer, more midrange with a better high end (to my ears) and so when I cast around, I look for spruce over mahogany.

There are plenty of good Martins in the '18' series... not to mention from any builder. If you are spending that much money, I agree with the Santa Cruz OM/PW. I prefer mahogany, but the OM/PW was a pretty balanced rosewood OM. Less money? Eastman's OM10/20 are hard to beat.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 AM

First off- welcome (officially now that you're not a "lurker" any more) to the AGF!

Sounds to me that you got a lemon OM-21 Special, not just in it's physical condition, but tone-wise too.

As you have probably seen discussed on this board- there is always some variation (in tone) amongst guitars of the same model, wood combos, and specs. That's just how it goes with wood. I'm not sure all (or even most) OM-21 Specials sound "dark when fingerpicked". Just my $0.02.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 PM

I have the martin om 21 special for a few years. If you want a brighter tone, I suggest you changed the stock martin tuners. I have changed mine to waverly butterbean and to my surprise the guitar brightens up with lots of sustain. Try it and i bet you will keep the om. No adjustment required, the waverly fits pertectly.

Strings also play a part. I use Exp strings. lastly, you have to dry your guitars. High humidity will make the guitar sounds muddy.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:20 AM

I don't get it, several responses like "OM-21 special is more bass heavy than the regular OM-21, so get a collings".

You don't need a xxx brand. You need a regular OM-21.

Mine is a wonderful fingerpicker full of snap and life, it can be gentle but then you can pull all kinds of resonances from it. My other guitars don't get played much anymore. Its a 94 model full of dings and scratches. Previous owner had it as gig guitar. Tuners replaced with waverly. The frets were worn down so I had it refretted, there was some other work needed too. But now it plays wonderful and sounds like an old guitar.

If I were you I would hunt down another mid 90s model, they are quite reasonably priced, and put some money into making it just right for you.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 AM

what strings have you been using? It took me a while to realize the perfect string combo for my 000-18GE for instance. Made all the difference in the world.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 AM

Buy a collings om2h and be done. Seriously.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=frankhond;3031085]I don't get it, several responses like "OM-21 special is more bass heavy than the regular OM-21, so get a collings".

You don't need a xxx brand. You need a regular OM-21.

QUOTE]

I agree! Played the OM-21 and the OM-21 Special, found it strange that I prefer the OM-21 but I HONESTLY DID! I didn't enjoy the Special as much because I felt it was too dark and I'm trying to get a regular OM-21 now. Need to move a guitar first though.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:29 PM

I own the om 21 special and collings om2he. Change to waverlies and you will get the bright tone. However, the collings has other attributes other than brighter modern tone. Its a guitaraltogether. If you are the classic martin tone type, you may not like collings. Collings are boutique guiﹰtars and martins are to some extent mass produced. Not fair to compare both

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin, om-21, special, tuners