The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-18-2023, 08:14 AM

Default soundhole reinforcement ring

I'm thinking about using a reinforcement ring around the soundhole rather than popsicle stick bracing. I've got a top where the rosette channel is on the thin side and I am thinking that it might benefit from the extra reinforcement. Sitka top, OM size, with rosette a little over 1/2" wide.

Anybody have experience with these or tips on building/installing them?
Old 02-18-2023, 09:12 AM

I've glued a piece of veneer cross grain over the soundhole/rosette area when I felt my channel was too deep or I wound up with an "extra" rosette channel on the inside. Easiest if you do before before cutting out the soundhole. Also nice if you can fit it between the braces. So the glue direct to the top.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've always done a pad under all of my soundholes....

I do mine at 2.5mm, glue it in before cutting out the soundhole, and use the shape to define the angle of the x-brace. I like to bevel the edges to minimize contact (and the potential for a rogue buzz) with the surrounding braces. I also feather down the edges that aren't next to braces to minimize telegraphing on the outside. I use hide glue to glue mine and leave it clamped up in a radius dish over night with breather mesh between the top and dish for air flow. It's a reasonably big surface and the hide glue adds a good bit of moisture so I like to make certain it's dry and the wood has had a chance to settle back down before unclamping.

The pic above also has a slot routed for a tornavoz that will be installed after bracing.
instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
bracing, sound hole