The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Default 1933 Supertone Round Up “Gene Autry” X-braced ** ON HOLD **

1933 Supertone Round Up “Gene Autry” X-braced

** ON HOLD **

This guitar has all the character commiserate with its age, and all the tone of a late 1920s - early 30s 12 fret Martin 0-18. I have owned this guitar for 8 years. It’s condition is the same as when I bought it. All repairs are quite solid and stable.

The X-bracing was performed by the inimitable James Burkett of Alabama. Mr. Burkett is a respected luthier in the Southeast, known best for his conversions of solid wood Harmony Sovereigns and other mid-century and pre-war instruments.

Solid mahogany Supertone Round-Up’s were only produced in 1933, before back and side material was switched to birch.

In addition to the X-bracing, Mr. Burkett replaced the old fingerboard with Brazilian, installed new frets, a new Brazilian bridge, bone saddle, new bindings, and ebony nut. Quite a bit of work went into this instrument, and the result is a great playing and serious sounding pre-war small bodied delight.

If you like dry 1930s mahogany tone, this guitar is its definition. It is exactly what you want and expect from any well-made vintage instrument, and is absolutely as light as a feather. The lows rumble, the mids have a solid and satisfying “honk”, and the trebles are incredibly bright and sweet.

A fingerstyle dream, but with a growling presence when you dig in. This guitar has everything it takes for delicate single note melodic passages, and is an ideal songwriting partner. Also excellent for open tuning arrangements. Appropriate for light gauge strings.

$ON HOLD, domestic shipping incl. Comes with original style chipboard case in serviceable condition. Will be packed carefully.

You will not be disappointed. Mr. Burkett was consulted prior to this listing and the guitar cannot be beaten at this price. His birch backed conversions sell for around $1400.

A very good recent article about Mr. Burkett and his work can be found here: http://kenlelen.blogspot.com/2021/05...x-bracing.html

Please check photos and feel free to ask questions. As many know, Mr. Burkett is a veteran of UMGF, and can also be contacted via his website, burkettguitars.com.

Last edited by blakelocksx; 10-19-2022 at 12:12 PM. Reason: on hold
Old 10-05-2022, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I also have the one of these guitars as well as four other Burkett guitars. I can't say enough good things about these conversions. They are simply done right. They are structurally, incredibly well done and will be trouble free for many many years. All components are top notch! He used torrified red spruce bracing on mine. It's like a new handmade vintage guitar! They play and sound amazing. What you're getting is a 90 year old guitar that's exceptionally stable, trouble free and and tons of fun to play.

I would grab this in a second but sadly already have one.

GLWS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakelocksx View Post
1933 Supertone Round Up “Gene Autry” X-braced

This guitar has all the character commiserate with its age, and all the tone of a late 1920s - early 30s 12 fret Martin 0-18. I have owned this guitar for 8 years. It’s condition is the same as when I bought it. All repairs are quite solid and stable.

The X-bracing was performed by the inimitable James Burkett of Alabama. Mr. Burkett is a respected luthier in the Southeast, known best for his conversions of solid wood Harmony Sovereigns and other mid-century and pre-war instruments.

Solid mahogany Supertone Round-Up’s were only produced in 1933, before back and side material was switched to birch.

In addition to the X-bracing, Mr. Burkett replaced the old fingerboard with Brazilian, installed new frets, a new Brazilian bridge, bone saddle, new bindings, and ebony nut. Quite a bit of work went into this instrument, and the result is a great playing and serious sounding pre-war small bodied delight.

If you like dry 1930s mahogany tone, this guitar is its definition. It is exactly what you want and expect from any well-made vintage instrument, and is absolutely as light as a feather. The lows rumble, the mids have a solid and satisfying “honk”, and the trebles are incredibly bright and sweet.

A fingerstyle dream, but with a growling presence when you dig in. This guitar has everything it takes for delicate single note melodic passages, and is an ideal songwriting partner. Also excellent for open tuning arrangements. Appropriate for light gauge strings.

$1200, domestic shipping incl. Comes with original style chipboard case in serviceable condition. Will be packed carefully.

You will not be disappointed. Mr. Burkett was consulted prior to this listing and the guitar cannot be beaten at this price. His birch backed conversions sell for around $1400.

A very good recent article about Mr. Burkett and his work can be found here: http://kenlelen.blogspot.com/2021/05...x-bracing.html

Please check photos and feel free to ask questions. As many know, Mr. Burkett is a veteran of UMGF, and can also be contacted via his website, burkettguitars.com.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words. I completely agree. And Mr. Burkett is a good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgprod View Post
I also have the one of these guitars as well as four other Burkett guitars. I can't say enough good things about these conversions. They are simply done right. They are structurally, incredibly well done and will be trouble free for many many years. All components are top notch! He used torrified red spruce bracing on mine. It's like a new handmade vintage guitar! They play and sound amazing. What you're getting is a 90 year old guitar that's exceptionally stable, trouble free and and tons of fun to play.

I would grab this in a second but sadly already have one.

GLWS!
Old 10-19-2022, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Default PRICE DROP

Price dropped to $1070.

More pics on Reverb:
https://reverb.com/item/61831479-193...autry-x-braced
Old 10-19-2022, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

PM sent you about the guitar.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Specifications

What is the string spacing at the nut and at the bridge?

Do you have a sound sample?

Thank you,
Warren
Old 10-19-2022, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Warren,

Right at 2 and 5/16ths. But I just put this on hold for someone. If something changes, I will update the listing and send you a message. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
What is the string spacing at the nut and at the bridge?

Do you have a sound sample?

Thank you,
Warren
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
parlor guitar