The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-09-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
At this point all of my flat tops are 12 fret with the exception of one, which is 13. I find them more comfortable to play and prefer the sound. I'm completely used to it and I don't miss the extra frets but I guess when I first got into 12 fretters, I had to change a few things.
Nice. I think I'll get used to it. They can still sound great, just have slightly smaller range. Which guitars do you own now?
Old 10-09-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIED View Post
I sometimes think maybe less frets will cause me to be more creative?
I feel very differently.
12 fetters sound and feel VERY different from their 14-fret counterparts. Get to playing in alternate tunings and they’re very engrossing and doors open. Because of the common nut width of 1 7/8”, the necks can be a little fatiguing, but find it also opens up space for new ideas in the fretting hand.

It would be hard to imagine the full scope of acoustic guitars without experimenting with a 12-fret (and 12-string!) along the journey.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

I just got my first 12 fret and I feel limited by it as I like to play up last the 12th quite a bit. Especially if I’m doing intervals, if I can’t get past the 12th I feel like I’m not going to keep the muscle memory of the scales and notes in that position. Granted in real world playing I won’t play there all the time , but this guitar definitely couldn’t be my only acoustic for that reason. My ideal specs are 24.9” scale, 1 3/4” nut and 2 1/4” saddle spacing and 14 fret to the body 000 size. Mostly fingerstyle playing.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

I have an AP70 which I love. If I could only have one guitar it would be a 14 fret with a cutout. The second guitar would be a 12 fret.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

All the small inexpensive guitars made to me in one word, suck. I know there are many thousands of GS mini owners who would disagree, but I havent wanted to play one for longer than thirty seconds. With the exception of a child learning, I can think of no redeeming qualities. Goes for the little Martins too.

A standard short scale 24 1/2 inch neck is the minimum tonal base line necessary for a good tone IMHO. Now 12 fret guitars are their own subgroup. Like most who think they need a cutaway, people thinking they need 14 frets really don't. I've paid attention. 95% of cutaway owners never come close to the 14th fret, and 12 frets predominately need a visual reorientation so you know where on the neck you are. A 12 fret neck does two basic things, it places the bridge in a more central part of the top for a different tonal flavor, and it places the neck so there is no reach away from the body, which is very comfortable.

In general for me, the size of a body as you get into the parlor range, need a much higher quality of guitar for a satisfying tone. Of course satisfying tone is subjective.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, alvarez, parlor, short scale