The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2022, 05:07 PM

Default Recording King vs. Waterloo Parlor (Yes I'm going there)

I've had two Waterloo guitars I sold both. They were beautiful, played great and sounded wonderful. However, I'm not a pro, and I just wanted a Parlor that I could fool around with "in the Parlor". So, I sold them because they were so expensive. That was a few years ago.

Recently, I was hankering again for a Parlor - but determined to not pay over $500 - so I wouldn't feel guilty about buying it.

I was able to find a Waterloo RPS-11. What a great guitar! The build quality and materials are just as good as I remember the Waterloo.

Sure the Waterloo was prettier - but not $2,000 prettier.

The only playing difference I can discern is the RPS-11 is 12 Frets, vs the 14 frets of the Waterloo. I actually prefer the 12 fret. And the nut on the Waterloo is 1 3/4" vs 1 11/16 on the RK.

Anybody else compare these - or the RK RPS-11 to any other solid spruce top, Solid Mahogany Back/Sides parlor? How did they compare?
Old 05-03-2022, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

You sure you wanna do this? Lol

Not sure about that RK model but the ones I have compare well to my similar Martins. Not nearly as good in build but the tone is close.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:35 PM

Default Neck profile - hard V versus round C

I’ve owned the Waterloo WL-S deluxe, 12 fret magnificent cherry b/s, but it had a hard vintage V neck that I just could not warm up to. My issue not the guitar. Sold it.

I also bought a $100 used Recording King dirty 30’s, 12 fret. Two issues; one was the fret sprout that I had to file down or my hands would have been sliced open and two, was the intonation after the 5th fret. No fix for that one. It sounded great and I know some folks don’t mind a little drift in intonation. I’m not one of those and sold it.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I own a Waterloo WL-12 & that is my favorite of all the guitars I own for lots of reasons. I also recently picked up a used Recording King ROS-627, which is pretty much a copy of the Martin 000-28vs that I owned many years ago. The RK cost me $500 and it gets pretty close to the Martin (Which I sold for the same reason you sold your Waterloo)

After years of kicking myself for selling the Martin I bought the RK when it popped up. I prefer my Waterloo to the RK but could be fine if I had to let the Waterloo go. I guess I'm in agreement with you on this issue but after regretting letting the Martin go I have no plans to sell the Waterloo.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

I thought I knew Waterloo models tolerably well
i can find no mention of an RPS-11.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Recording King vs. Waterloo Parlor (Yes I'm going there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I thought I knew Waterloo models tolerably well

i can find no mention of an RPS-11.

The RPS-11 is the Recording King. He mistakenly said Waterloo RPS-11.

Last edited by davenumber2; 05-04-2022 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:04 AM

I've never owned a Waterloo, but I've played quite a few. I did own a Recording King parlor several years ago (I think and RP-06? But I could be wrong).

My take:

Nothing at all wrong with the RK. Great price, good tone, and I liked the thick, D shaped neck mine had. The tone wasn't great, but it was good. For a sitting around, knock-about, pick up and play Parlor, it did the job.

I picked up an Alvarez AP-70 a few years ago (it's my daughter's now) and I honestly think it was a better guitar all the way around (just doesn't look "vintage" like the RK). YMMV.

Having said that, the Waterloo's I've played are in a different class in every category. They sound bluesy, bc that's the tone they went for specifically. Everything about those guitars was purposeful. I definitely hear a tonal difference between them and the RK I've owned and played, not to mention the build quality. There's a reason they cost what they do.

Is it 2k better? Well, that's up to the individual buyer.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2022, 01:46 PM

Been years since I played a RK, and I don't remember the model. It was a 12fret 000 size, and I thought it sounded great. I landed up spending quite a bit more and got my used Collings 000, but I left with a healthy respect for some of the RK models out there. And that video of the RPS-11 sounds fantastic!
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 05-04-2022, 01:55 PM

I hope the more expensive Recording King parlors are better made than the Dirty 30's model I have...

Really fun guitar, fun to play, boxy old sound...but the bridge is lifting after only 3 years. I know it's a cheapo guitar, but there's plenty of cheap guitars out there that don't have that problem.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-04-2022, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Two poor quality front & back photos of my recently purchased ROS-327. Based on what I've learned this guitar was built in 2009. It's trying to be a Martin 000-28vs and it gets pretty close! The neck profile seems a bit thinner than the Martin I used to own but the guitar plays and sound great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RK ROS-327 Front.jpg (30.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg RK ROS-327 Back.jpg (34.8 KB, 137 views)
Old 05-04-2022, 07:35 PM

I have a RK RP-10. I think it's extremely awesome for the price - and versatile. Jamming buddies have always been impressed with it. The only thing I'd upgrade would be the tuners - although I've have it for years though and still haven't got around to it, they actually work fine. I just want open back tuners...

Note for Jeff: Yes it's way better than the dirty 30s series!! At least in my opinion.

I have played some high-end parlors occasionally over the years and although they were "better" - certainly better looking - they were also almost 10x more expensive, bang for buck it's a great little guitar.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
parlor guitar, recording king, waterloo guitars, waterloo wl-14