The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2022, 08:19 AM

Default Silly amp+preamp question

If I have a $1000 preamp+di and connect it to a cheaper $300 amplifier with an aux in, would I be able to mimic the tone of a $1000 amp but on a smaller system?
Old 02-18-2022, 08:34 AM

Probably not.. it might sound better than
going into just the cheap amp alone though.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaskero View Post
If I have a $1000 preamp+di and connect it to a cheaper $300 amplifier with an aux in, would I be able to mimic the tone of a $1000 amp but on a smaller system?
Hi Akaskero…
First of all, Welcome to the Forum!!

A $300-400 amp is not necessarily 'cheap'.

A $49 acoustic amp is cheap. And you would not see an appreciable difference on that inexpensive an amp.

The pickup is as important as the preamp, or amp. If it's lousy, nothing will sound as good as if it's a good one.

If you use a $300 acoustic amp for your monitor, and send a feed from your $1000 preamp (with Direct Box capability) not only to the amp, but to the house PA at the same time (which is typical use), it will allow the techs on the board to make your guitar sound it's best.

By running the chain Guitar-->Preamp-->split to house & amp simultaneously, you can adjust your stage tone directly on the amp without affecting the house (which pleases the house techs very much).

My guitars & their pickup systems running through my preamps make my acoustic amps sound better than if they are not being pre-amplified. They sound better in the PA as well.

Lastly...
Even if you own/use a $1500 acoustic amp, a decent preamp will make your guitar sound better using it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-18-2022, 10:32 AM

I hoped there would be a significant change but I guess not
Thank you varmonter for your comment! I didn't know how to directly reply to you... I guess I forgot to quote

Last edited by Akaskero; 02-18-2022 at 10:44 AM. Reason: -
Old 02-18-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Akaskero…
First of all, Welcome to the Forum!!

A $300-400 amp is not necessarily 'cheap'.

A $49 acoustic amp is cheap. And you would not see an appreciable difference on that inexpensive an amp.

The pickup is as important as the preamp, or amp. If it's lousy, nothing will sound as good as if it's a good one.

If you use a $300 acoustic amp for your monitor, and send a feed from your $1000 preamp (with Direct Box capability) not only to the amp, but to the house PA at the same time (which is typical use), it will allow the techs on the board to make your guitar sound it's best.

By running the chain Guitar-->Preamp-->split to house & amp simultaneously, you can adjust your stage tone directly on the amp without affecting the house (which pleases the house techs very much).

My guitars & their pickup systems running through my preamps make my acoustic amps sound better than if they are not being pre-amplified. They sound better in the PA as well.

Lastly...
Even if you own/use a $1500 acoustic amp, a decent preamp will make your guitar sound better using it.

Hi Larry, first of all, thank you for your detailed reply. It's my first time on AGF... I'm not really sure if this is the right way to reply to you haha. I don't do any live performances, but I happen to have an AER dual mix2 preamp that I use to record my guitar that has the Fishman Powertap Earth pickup set up. This is a magnetic+body sensor pickup that you can separate with a stereo cable and blend in with the preamp I have. I recently bought a Yamaha THR5A amp to use at home for practicing, but since I have the AER preamp already I was hoping there would be some way to bypass the built in preamp on the Yamaha amp and use my AER preamp instead to get a better tone. Do you know if this is possible?
Old 02-18-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Hi Larry, first of all, thank you for your detailed reply. It's my first time on AGF... I'm not really sure if this is the right way to reply to you haha. I don't do any live performances, but I happen to have an AER dual mix2 preamp that I use to record my guitar that has the Fishman Powertap Earth pickup set up. This is a magnetic+body sensor pickup that you can separate with a stereo cable and blend in with the preamp I have. I recently bought a Yamaha THR5A amp to use at home for practicing, but since I have the AER preamp already I was hoping there would be some way to bypass the built in preamp on the Yamaha amp and use my AER preamp instead to get a better tone. Do you know if this is possible?
You can bypass the preamp and effects section of the THR5A by going from the AER preamp into the Aux input. I doubt it will give you a "better tone," but you might find you prefer the controls on the AER to those on the Yamaha unit. In other words, the controls on the AER might (or might not) let you process the the two output signals from your pickup system in a way you like better. Try it and see.

Louis
Old 02-18-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
You can bypass the preamp and effects section of the THR5A by going from the AER preamp into the Aux input. I doubt it will give you a "better tone," but you might find you prefer the controls on the AER to those on the Yamaha unit. In other words, the controls on the AER might (or might not) let you process the the two output signals from your pickup system in a way you like better. Try it and see.

Louis
Hey Louis, I guess I'll have to try that out. Thanks for the comment
Old 02-18-2022, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…I recently bought a Yamaha THR5A amp to use at home for practicing, but since I have the AER preamp already I was hoping there would be some way to bypass the built in preamp on the Yamaha amp and use my AER preamp instead to get a better tone. Do you know if this is possible?
Hi Akaskero
The preamp is awesome! Those are like $650 preamps.

The amp is a practice amp, and will never sound as good as an acoustic amp with an 8" two way speaker and adequate power.

I sure would not base my opinions of preamps and acoustic amps based on the THR5A. I'd save some bucks and buy one of the small Roland or Fishman acoustic amps.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-18-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Akaskero
The preamp is awesome! Those are like $650 preamps.

The amp is a practice amp, and will never sound as good as an acoustic amp with an 8" two way speaker and adequate power.

I sure would not base my opinions of preamps and acoustic amps based on the THR5A. I'd save some bucks and buy one of the small Roland or Fishman acoustic amps.

Hey Larry, that makes sense. I'll look into investing in better amps when I get serious about live performances. Thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amp, preamp