The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2022, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

I think left-handed Waterloos are even rarer than right-handed ones, and I somehow managed to find both of these in the span of the last couple of weeks...

Old 01-13-2022, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

A possibility (IMHO) based on a guitar I own. If I were looking for an alternative to that Waterloo, I'd search for: a)smaller guitar, 2)same/similar tone woods; 3) similar scale, 4)12 frets. A 5th element might be ladder bracing but I'm guessing that will be tough to replicate. My Bourgeois LDBO is along very similar lines and is incredible IMO. Nice vintage vibe, cherry body (as the Waterloo), Adi/spruce top, 25.0" scale and body size somewhat similar. I have a 13 fretter (Nick Lucas) but DB builds them in 12, 13 or 14. The tone of the Adi over Cherry took me by complete surprise based on earlier cherry guitars I'd been disappointed with. The LDBO is clear, articulate, punchy, responsive w-some but not over complexity and great projection (which I believe "good" cherry guitars are known for). Anyway my two cents. Good luck in your quest.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:55 PM

If you really, really want the Waterloo, I’d just wait for a used one to pop up and then jump on it. It happens every few months.

I have one that I lucked into a few years ago, and it’s a wonderful guitar. I’ve never played anything like it. In the long run, if that’s what you want, you won’t want to settle for something that’s only similar (bracing and build in particular seem to be unique).

It’s just a unique instrument.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:09 AM

I’ll 2nd the recommendation of a Crooked Star. Only played 2 myself, but each one was outstanding. The one pictured above looks great.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, parlor, stella, waterloo