The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Lightbulb Day 1: Martin Monels on a Rosewood (Cocobolo) / Spruce Taylor

I originally wanted to stick out a play-in test of some Martin RETRO strings. I planned to wait this out for at least 2 weeks, from what I've read to allow.

Guitar is Rosewood (Cocobolo) Spruce Taylor GS.

Here's Day 1.

There's a bit of strumming, a bit of finger style. No talking.

Strumming to start, finger style at 1:40.

HOWEVER -- I decided I couldn't wait out the trial -- there's quite a bit of articulation for the finger style, but strumming was just too strident for my taste.

Some day will see if I want to try this again.

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 10-19-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

I have had a set of monels on a small bodied all hog guitar for over a year now. Apart from the "edge" being knocked off the tone after the first few hours I don't think that they have changed much at all.

I have had the same set of pure nickel strings on my dobro for 5 years and they are still OK.

I'm not sure that you will get a dramatic change in tone buy leaving those strings on. You will simply get used to playing with them after a couple of weeks.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Monels have never worked for me on any Rosewood/Spruce guitar I have tried them on. What brand of guitar is that?
Old 10-19-2021, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Monels have never worked for me on any Rosewood/Spruce guitar I have tried them on. What brand of guitar is that?
This is my Taylor GS. I edited the top post to reflect.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I have had a set of monels on a small bodied all hog guitar for over a year now. Apart from the "edge" being knocked off the tone after the first few hours I don't think that they have changed much at all.

I have had the same set of pure nickel strings on my dobro for 5 years and they are still OK.

I'm not sure that you will get a dramatic change in tone buy leaving those strings on. You will simply get used to playing with them after a couple of weeks.
That's quite a lifespan! Thanks Robin for your comment.

- Andrew
Old 10-19-2021, 11:23 AM

I've tried monels on my rosewood dread, I couldn't stand it, it came across as extremely metallic sounding even after a month. Horrible.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Of course we will recommend what we like/use, just recently I have tried the DR Sunbeams and Rares on my RW/Spruce and have really enjoyed them. Not expensive, so may be worth a shot???
Old 10-19-2021, 01:00 PM

Taylors all come from the factory with Elixir strings (mostly PB in recent years). When they design and voice the guitars that is what they plan to use on them. I don't think Monels are a good fit for a Taylor and their expression system pickups.

Collings D2HG
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Gibson Hummingbird Original
Gibson Hummingbird Quilt (Maple)
Gibson J-29

Last edited by TwangGang; 10-19-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone.

I read that Taylors used to ship with 80/20 (many years ago), then switched to PB -- I don't think their guitar design changed with this adjustment of string selection, so I've been experimenting with different strings to hear the effects.

Just sharing in case anyone is curious, thanks.

-a.h.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH Acoustic View Post
.........I originally wanted to stick out a play-in test of some Martin RETRO strings. I planned to wait this out for at least 2 weeks, from what I've read to allow..............
HOWEVER -- I decided I couldn't wait out the trial -- there's quite a bit of articulation for the finger style, but strumming was just too strident for my taste.........
Like you I've read reviews of those who like monels, including comments about long break-in periods (for some at least). I've tried to like monels on several guitars, but they've failed to impress me with maybe one exception. I appreciate that they work well for some other players. Even if my experience with monels had been more positive I'm not interested in strings I have to wait on for one or two weeks before they sound good -to me. Life's too short.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:25 PM

On a new 00-17 Authentic 1931 all hog they work very well so far and prefer them to the Lifespan treated which came with the guitar. Perhaps not the best marriage for rosewood guitars it sounds like just reading through the thread.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:52 AM

I can hear what you are saying regarding your sound sample. Give them a few days of playing or more and see what you think.

For what it’s worth I have tried Monels on a few guitars and didn’t care for them. But they were a champ on my Taylor GS Mini spruce/walnut. It’s tone is a bit too bright and the Monels, after one week break in, mellowed out its voice nicely

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin, monel, nickel, retro, rosewood