The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 08-13-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Default FS: Martin D-28 1968

Here’s a 1968 D-28 for sale. It’s all original except for an understated tortoise replacement pickguard amazingly with no cracks or repairs. The Brazilian rosewood is attractive, and the guitar has a classic 60’s loud wonderful Martin D-28 sound. The neck was professionally reset with new frets, great neck angle/bridge height and the action is extremely comfortable. The sound is a classic 60’s D-28 Martin. It has The Sound.

According to the seller, the original owner thought it would be cool (remember, it’s from the 60’s…) to place two opposite bird decals on each side of the upper bout. You can see very feint ghost images of these, but they truly are not that noticeable. However, I believe the pricing reflects this past “customization”. It looks like on the back someone touched up a finish chip on the back of the instrument, which you can see in the picture below.
1968 was a year of transition as far a bridgeplates go, and this instrument has a small Brazilian bridgeplate, which probably is one reason for its outstanding tone. It comes with a recent hardshell high quality case.

If you’re looking for a nice sounding, reasonably priced Brazilian D-28, this is the guitar for you!

Price $4,800 shipped CONUS only. Paypal add +3%. Not really interested in trades at this point.

I have many more pictures; please either PM or send me an email s4rest4 at ya hoo.

Thanks!

Here’s a video highlighting a wonderful guitar and mediocre guitar playing:
https://youtu.be/OxzTVUSrsaQ

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (22.0 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (27.0 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (24.5 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (28.1 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (16.4 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by s4rest; 08-13-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Here are some more pictures!

https://imgur.com/gallery/8FPrWW5
Old 08-14-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Oh man, if I was even remotely in a position to buy this, I'd be all over it. And I don't even really like playing dreads all that much anymore. But my first decent guitar was a 1968 D-28. I bought in in about late 1978 or early '79. It had a couple of repaired dings in the top when I bought it. It was my only acoustic guitar for the 25 years I owned it. It was a gorgeous sounding guitar and it played wonderfully when well set-up. I didn't take the best care of it, leaving it out and playing it, not knowing the first thing about humidity issues in those days. So it was a rough player a lot of the time I had it. But lord did it sound great.

This seems like a good price on this one and if I could do it, or even ALMOST do it, I'm pretty sure I'd have already made you an offer. Not to be this time, but a serious shot of nostalgia in this one. It should go quickly!

-Ray
Old 08-14-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your kind comments Ray! Not to be an enabler, but food and shelter are way overrated....

Steve
Old 08-14-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4rest View Post
Thanks for your kind comments Ray! Not to be an enabler, but food and shelter are way overrated....

Steve
Right, but, at my age, healthcare and, in my fortunate case, marriage are NOT over-rated and I don't seem to be willing to go without either. Hence, no expensive guitars until we both at least turn 65... You should have this sold well before then!

-Ray
Old 08-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

That is some seriously nice Brazilian on that guitar! Even with the few minor flaws, I think this is a great deal for someone for a vintage Martin with all the right mojo!!

Good luck with your sale. I doubt it will last very long here.
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 08-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Still for sale!

Thought I had it for sale to a gentleman in FL via his local brother! Oh well....back on the market!

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-16-2019 at 02:31 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
brazilian, d-18, d-28, martin