The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2019, 04:34 AM

Jef-

I went through an almost identical Martin choice dilemma-

twenty years ago. You know how you want to use the guitar. So, it comes down to how the guitars play and most important, how they sound to YOU.

All discussions of the various nuances of each model doesn't mean that much.

You need to trust your ears. Which one pleases you?

Even then, 6 D 28s or 6 of any of them are going to somewhat different.

Look and listen for the guitar that has "it" for you.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 AM

I played a used HD-35 a few weeks ago, and I have to admit having that much bass at your disposal is a heady experience. Like being the God of Acoustic Thunder. It had a pickup installed, and when I tried it with an amp at even a fairly low volume, it started to feed back pretty easily. I really like a pronounced bass effect, but this bordered on impractical for my needs - might have a hard time gigging with it and probably bordered on too loud to play at home. I assume a D-35 with straight bracing would be a little less woofy.

The HD-28 seems (to me) like the best all-rounder if you still want a bit more bass. FWIW, I also have a Martin Custom Jumbo (similar to a J-40) that sounds a bit more balanced - more like a piano.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:14 PM

So I have an update.
I have bought the new D28, albeit with a 30 day money back guarantee.
It does have a fair amount of light scratching all around for reasons mentioned above. Don’t know how I should feel about that..?

Anyway, the only other guitar that tops the d28 for me seems to be the d41, but that’s another $2000. Not sure if it’s worth it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-28, d-35, hd-28, martin